Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Got ripped a new one, confused

Hi Guys,

So I like to jump on yahoo answers every once in a while, to check out the goldfish and axolotl questions. Yesterday a guy asked about substrate. He did not want a bare bottom, gravel, or sand. I wrote that I use river rock pebbles that are just large enough that my fish can't suck them up. I also said I use enough to cover 50% of the floor, but spread out evenly so that they can root around, but not have anaerobic pockets.

Another answerer sent me an email saying that I am propagating animal cruelty and should be banned from Yahoo. He said my rocks will rip their fins and that I am killing them with hydrogen sulfide (I thought sand was the major culprit). He goes on to say that he sponsors the blah blah goldfish show in Blah blah and he is the authority on goldfish keeping. He thinks I should be ashamed of myself.

Any thoughts? The paranoid/OCD part of me is afraid I am doing something horribly wrong here. I was so shocked to read his email, especially because we usually give just about the same answers.

Ignore him. Sounds like a troll to me.

Don't worry about it, Sarah. Someone is having a bad day or wants to feel important.

There's many differing and strong opinions regarding goldfish care, but that's over the top. How the heck would smooth stones tear fins? Where is the dangerous stuff supposed to build up? :doh11:

I have not found any research that supports his claim.

You have posted pictures of your tank before (I believe) people are really good at pinpointing any hazards with set ups from pics :) if there was a danger you would've been told by now from someone on the forum.

Oh and post more pics! :D

Troll, IMO.

You could always email back and ask a few questions:

• Where would this Hydrogen Sulfide gas be building?
  • How do smooth rocks tear fins?
  • Where exactly is this animal cruelty he speaks of?

I'd like to read a copy of this rotten email and give this ignorant individual some real facts. :(

Ditto Chelsea. And send him a photo of your tank. I'll bet he can't find a single unsafe thing in it! Some people just like to be drama queens.

I wouldnt bother with any sort of response other than something brief like "wow I hope your meds kick in soon" and then block him. He will be outraged.

He better go to every river in the world and remove the rocks then. :doh11:

My River Rocks are my pride & joy!! My son brought them to me! Right now he is in Mississippi (Near the RIVER!) & he better bring me one or two!! LOL!!

Ignore the idiot! YOU know you are doing the right thing! Some people LIVE to cause GRIEF!!!!

Don't worry about it, Sarah. Someone is having a bad day or wants to feel important.

There's many differing and strong opinions regarding goldfish care, but that's over the top. How the heck would smooth stones tear fins? Where is the dangerous stuff supposed to build up? :doh11:

Well said.

I bet most of the trinkets that are sold in pet shops for aquariums are worse.

RIGHT! :rofl Those poor, poor river-dwelling fish...mother nature should be arrested for animal cruelty!

Your guys responses are great! Some people just like to beat on others! Ignore the jerk! :)

Troll ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not found any research that supports his claim.

You have posted pictures of your tank before (I believe) people are really good at pinpointing any hazards with set ups from pics :) if there was a danger you would've been told by now from someone on the forum.

Oh and post more pics! :D

Everyone here is great at pointing out improvements that could be made. I love that:) I have a new 40 gallon long that I am cycling for the black ranchu that is on his way:) There will pics aplenty! lol

Okay, so I'm not crazy lol

I wouldnt bother with any sort of response other than something brief like "wow I hope your meds kick in soon" and then block him. He will be outraged.

Ooooh, I should:) I was so shocked I figured it would be smarter not to reply right away. I needed a better come-back haha.

haha! I guess he's got a lot of animal cruelty emails to send out!

My River Rocks are my pride & joy!! My son brought them to me! Right now he is in Mississippi (Near the RIVER!) & he better bring me one or two!! LOL!!

Ignore the idiot! YOU know you are doing the right thing! Some people LIVE to cause GRIEF!!!!

I love them too. They look so nice and natural Goes GREAT with greenery:)

Thanks so much guys! I thought he was kookoo-bananas, but when it comes to my fish, I gotta make sure:) You guys are the best!

I would agree with the others in saying that guy isn't worth your time or frustration. I have been 'called out' many times for various things people felt I was doing wrong. I've been told "sand irritates the gills" and recently someone told me that because I planned to breed some of my fish I was "cruel and saw animals only as objects for monetary gain".(as if I would be making any kind of profit) People are idiots sometimes! You just gotta ignore them and do what you know is right.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

I would agree with the others in saying that guy isn't worth your time or frustration. I have been 'called out' many times for various things people felt I was doing wrong. I've been told "sand irritates the gills" and recently someone told me that because I planned to breed some of my fish I was "cruel and saw animals only as objects for monetary gain".(as if I would be making any kind of profit) People are idiots sometimes! You just gotta ignore them and do what you know is right.

Thank you! Seems like you've dealt with some idiots too:) By the way, I am LOVE with the little guy in your profile pic!

Lol!!! Tell the troll to get back under his bridge!! the three billy goats gruff are coming :-)

Lol!!! Tell the troll to get back under his bridge!! the three billy goats gruff are coming :-)

Okay, that was awesome! haha!

That's Yahoo Answers for ya. Don't worry about it. Obviously river rocks are fine. :)

I feel like in this situation, the only thing to do is to give a smart, witty comeback.

Edited by alvintran1998

It sounds like he was just ryukin for a fight.

some people just can't go through a day without causing someone grief...let him move on to the next victim ;) your fine ;)

I feel like in this situation, the only thing to do is to give a smart, witty comeback.

Exactly! That's why I held off lol. I have started a little response. I figure the nice approach is better, then he'll feel bad for being such a you know what. I'll make him feel like an idiot. I'll use all my big, fancy words! I see him as a grumpy old man with nothing better to do...