Goldfish fry care

*Amanda*

Hello, my name is Amanda and I am new to this forum.

My goldfish recently spawned for the second time and we have 8 fry total. The female was a black moor (who has been turning orange) and the two males are a calico veiltail ryukin and a calico telescope.

The first spawning was a total surprise and we were unprepared. We moved the fry to the 20 gal cycled quarantine tank and kept him in a mesh breeder. Unfortunately, he ended up dying several days ago at 2 months old. I could not find anything visibly wrong with his body, but the day before he started swimming erratically upside down. The next day he was floating upside down, hardly moving at all, and then he died. I am really curious as to what happened and want to provide the best care possible for the 8 fry in the second spawning 2 weeks ago.

The fry are being kept in the mesh breeder box in the 20 gal and being fed frozen and live baby brine shrimp, and occasionally Hikari First Bites, 3 times daily. Is this a good diet, or should I be feeding them other things? I am afraid to take them out of the the breeder box because they could get caught in the HOB filter. Would you recommend taking them out now and covering the filter intake with foam, or should I wait until they are older (and if so, how much older?). The adult fish are not in the tank.

Please give me any suggestions you have - I really want these fry to live! I have not yet begun culling but will soon, once they are big enough to see defects (no obvious ones so far). Two days ago we added a heater and are keeping the tank at 75F; prior to that the tank was at room temp (68F). From what I've read, the higher temp should increase the growth rate.

• Supporter

I don't know much about fry hopefully someone who does will come by soon. I would recommend getting a sponge filter or a sponge filter for the intake of the HOB. Then let the fry lose in the 20gal QT. My guess is they got flukes. This is a big thing for fry and can kill them off quick. I know some that breed here do parzi treatments to the fry tank as it will not hurt the fish. I'm not sure if the dosing is different for fry or not though so hopefully someone will clarify that soon. Good luck and welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Daniel E.

Could we have the answers to the following questions, please? I know this is not a Diagnosis thread, but this would help determine quite a few things when it comes to raising your fry.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)
* Nitrite Level(Tank)
* Nitrate level(Tank)
* Ammonia Level(Tap)
* Nitrite Level(Tap)
* Nitrate level(Tap)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info: * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
* Water temperature?
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the tank and their size?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the tank?
* Any medications added to the tank?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by ChelseaM

Hi Amanda

I'm raising Oranda X Ryukin fry at the moment, about 60 of them. They are approximately two months old.

Personally, I would wait till your fry are bigger before you let them out into such a big tank, especially one with mechanical filtration. They won't be strong enough to swim against the current.

Do you have a large food safe storage container that you could grow them out in with a sponge filter and heater?

My first fry died unexpectedly too, with no known cause. Sometimes these things just happen.

my almost 6 week old fry are currently living in my 20 Long tank :)

I'm currently feeding mine

live baby brine shrimp

hikari first bites

hikari algae wafers(just a sliver)

hikari frozen bloodworms(tiny ones)

peas(moshed)

I started out with 10,and have lost half sadly :(

I just finished 2nd round of prazi yesterday

Do you have a sponge filter? Try to get one and set it up in the main tank until the fry are two weeks old. You will want to start prazi at the two week mark.

Do you have a smaller tank you can set them up in? A smaller tank will be beneficial to help them find food and you will use less prazi when treating them.

I treated my guys in a 3 gallon for the first two weeks and then a 10 gallon once they hit one month. But apparently, mine were fast growers.

Hello,

I am at work right now but will provide the results I know. All test results are from the test I did a few weeks ago. The tank is about a year old and is fully cycled.

* Ammonia Level(Tank): 0 ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank): 0 ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank): 10 ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap): unknown (will test when I get home)
* Nitrite Level(Tap): unknown (will test when I get home)
* Nitrate level(Tap): unknown (will test when I get home)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): pH 7.8; KH, GH & chloramines unknown (no test kit for these) but I always use a dechlorinator when doing water changes
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): unknown; will test pH when I get home
Other Required Info: * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: API liquid test kit. I also have a Seachem ammonia alert dial in the tank that I use in addition to the drops.
* Water temperature?: was room temp (68F) but a few days ago added a heater to 75F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gal; has been running 1 year. The fry are being kept in a mesh breeder box inside the tank.
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: Biowheel 20 gal (came with the 20 gal tank kit)
* How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 30-40%, but since the fry have been added 2 weeks ago I have been doing 25% weekly because they are in a breeder box hanging off the sides of the tank and I don't want the water level to go down too much.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago; next one to be done in 3 days (water changes are done every Sunday morning on all my tanks)
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 tiny 2-week-old fry
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Hikari Ultimate only, with every water change. I do not use remedies such as Melafix, etc. or add salt to the tank.
* What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed frozen Hikari baby brine shrimp 3 times daily, 1/2 cube for each feeding, as their staple food. I also feed live baby brine shrimp and Hikari First Bites powdered food a few times per week.
* Any new fish added to the tank? No, only the fry.
* Any medications added to the tank? No
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Only Kordon Rid-Ich Plus about 6 months ago when I had an ich outbreak. (The 20 gal tank the fry are in was previously being used as a quarantine tank. The fry arrived unexpectedly so I did not have time to buy a separate 10 gal tank and cycle it.)
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not on the 8 current fry

I don't have a sponge filter but can get one. But would stopping the current filter and putting in a brand-new one cause a minicycle? I am afraid to move them from the cycled 20 gal into an uncycled tank or plastic container for this same reason. I have a 10 gal that has been sitting empty for over a year after I learned it wasn't suitable to hold 5 medium-sized goldfish (unimaginable, huh?). The fish actually live at my boyfriend's house and I got into the hobby after I started dating him a year and a half ago. He feeds them but I am now the primary caregiver in terms of water testing, maintenance and research. We now have the 20 gal along with a 36 gal and a 50 gal. The spawning occurred in the 50.

I can also pick up some Prazi. The fry are 2 weeks old now so should I begin treatment immediately? Are flukes visible to the naked eye?

Thanks for all the advice.

-Amanda

I don't have a sponge filter but can get one. But would stopping the current filter and putting in a brand-new one cause a minicycle? I am afraid to move them from the cycled 20 gal into an uncycled tank or plastic container for this same reason. I have a 10 gal that has been sitting empty for over a year after I learned it wasn't suitable to hold 5 medium-sized goldfish (unimaginable, huh?). The fish actually live at my boyfriend's house and I got into the hobby after I started dating him a year and a half ago. He feeds them but I am now the primary caregiver in terms of water testing, maintenance and research. We now have the 20 gal along with a 36 gal and a 50 gal. The spawning occurred in the 50.

I can also pick up some Prazi. The fry are 2 weeks old now so should I begin treatment immediately? Are flukes visible to the naked eye?

Thanks for all the advice.

-Amanda

If you can get your hands on a sponge filter, I would put that in the tank with your current filter, long enough to grow beneficial bacteria, then use it in a grow out tank. They are only two weeks old, they've got a lot of time to go before they'll need to be moved to a bigger tank.

Hi all,

I now have 7 fry left. I do not know what happened to the 8th fry. I saw no dead ones so it seems as though he simply disappeared ... odd.

I went shopping at petsmart for a 10 gallon long tank but was unable to find one. The only tank I could find that was <6 in deep was a 2.5 gal. Today I am going to a local store to see if they have anything bigger, but if not, should I transfer them to the 2.5 gal or lower the water level to 6 in in the 20 (which would make it about a 10)?

As for the heater, my boyfriend added one but it raised the temp WAY too high, even on its lowest setting. He got it from the 20 gal Aqueon tank set. I will also look for heaters that are not as strong.

And finally, I was unable to find a sponge filter at petsmart ... so I am looking for that today as well. I read you could make your own but it requires airline tubing, which I don't have.

Thanks again!

-Amanda

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It looks like my message got cut off somehow.

Tank: got a 2.5 gal from petsmart as that was the only one I could find that was <6 in deep. Fry are still in the breeder in the 20. If I am unable to find a larger long tank today, should I lower the water level in the 20 or move them to the 2.5?

Filter: petsmart doesn't carry sponge filters. I will look for one today at the lfs.

Heater: we added one but it was way over 75F on its lowest setting, so we took it out. Looking for a smaller one today.

Thanks!

Amanda

You can keep them in the 20 gallon tank but you'll want to lower the water level to about six inches deep. If you can't find a sponge filter at the store you can order them on amazon for fairly cheap but you need an air pump and air tubing to use them

Hello,

I tried to attach a photo of my tank above but I'm not sure if it will work ... we will see.

Sadly, 6 of my 8 fry have died in the past week. Last week I went out and bought a sponge filter and air pump for it and added a heater, and lowered the water level to 6-7 inches, per your recommendations. I let them out of the mesh breeder box and they are roaming free in the water. I don't think the change of scenery was the cause of death, though, because one died before I moved them out of the breeder box.

One thing I have noticed is that the heater fluctuates in temperature. I have it on the lowest setting, which is 80F. This is the heater that came with the 20 gallon tank I bought; I had just never taken it out of the box until now because I only keep goldfish. Is this normal? Are there heaters you can buy that stay on a single programmed temperature - say, 75F? This one heats the tank up to 80F and then turns itself off. Then, when the temperature starts to drop lower, it turns itself back on again and heats back up. It is a gradual change back and forth but it must still be stressful for the fish.

I also went around to all the pet stores in my area looking for fluke medication, and was unable to find any whatsoever. One woman said she could order some, but it would take a couple of weeks to arrive. She ordered it for me but said that unless the parents have flukes, the fry would not get them. None of my fish show signs of parasite infestation, such as flashing/rubbing against objects in the aquarium. Is what this woman said true, or can fry still get flukes whether or not the parents are infected?

Please let me know your opinion re: the heater, fluke medication and anything else you observe about my tank - I am truly saddened by this loss and really want the remaining 2 fry to survive!

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda, I had the same problems you're having now this time last year. Raising fry is a learn as you go sort of deal.

Regarding the heater, you should have one that you can adjust the temperature on. I had the same type as you described last year and it would make my tank too hot. I think I lost a lot of fry because of it.

How is your water quality? It needs to be perfect for fry. How often are you doing water changes and what percentage?

What are you feeding them and how often?

I couldn't get my fry past the four week mark last year, because I just made too many silly mistakes. This year was so much easier.

Don't feel too bad, next time around, you'll be ready. And who knows, the two you have remaining just might make it. :)

They can still get flukes even if the parents don't show signs so it's always good to treat them. My first few times none of my fry survived then I had about 40 and only four made it. Now I have another two that are a few weeks old. So even if you're doing everything right you'll always lose some

Thanks everyone. The water quality is perfect, 0 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates <10ppm. I do weekly water changes of 25% on the fry tank. Would more be better? I feed them frozen hikari bbs 3x daily.

I will be ready next time with prazi pro and a good setup, plus more experience. Thank you all for the support. I hope the two fry make it.