Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Battle of the canister filters (post your thoughts here)

I am wanting to try canister filtration again for the extra media - water params are fine, but I would like to see less stuff hanging in the aquarium. I've been looking at the eheim models, specifically the pro series but wanted your guys' thoughts before making that big of a purchase. What's the difference between the pro model vs the other model? And second but most importantly, what filters have you had that worked well and which ones didn't work and why? What do you like about yours? Maybe fill in this statement: you should stay away from this type because....

Love your faces and thanks in advance guys! We're still looking for the boy fish :) We'll post pics as soon as we find the right one!

Curious which one in the pro series you're looking at? The Ecco pro or the larger professional series?

I have an Ecco pro 2236 and I highly recommend it. The main difference between the eccos and the classics are the self priming feature (which is really nice)

I also have a fluval 306. I really like this canister so far. The media setup in it is really nice, it has more sponge media than the eheim. The thing I don't like about it is the black corrugated (is that the word I want? It's bumpy instead of smooth) tubing, and the components feel cheaper to me than my eheim. I feel like I could easily break something on my fluval accidentally whereas the eheim feels sturdy. The fluval does more gph for cheaper cost though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do love my Fluval 306 for what it is, but if I had the dollars, I'd go for a fancy Eheim :) Which kind, I have no idea, so I guess I should say... :IHNTA:

Make your own! :nana

I love my Eheim 2217. It is just so well-made and it works great without a hitch or any noise at all.

Let us know how it goes. I don't think I could spend that much on an Eheim. But if you want something not so costly I love all three of my Rena's. I have one that I have for several (3 Maybe) years now without any problems.

I always loved my Rena's but sold them off when I left the hobby for a bit. I have a Cascade now and it really may be the easiest I have used to get primed and started after a cleaning. As far as filtering goes, I would say it does a good job. I like that all tubes in the tank are black, rather than the light blue of the Rena's. I would say the biggest complaint I have about the Cascade is that it can sometimes randomly blow out some air that gets trapped somewhere, but that may be my fault since I have had it apart so much and it probably needs some new gaskets.

Edited by HomerJay

I love, love, love my Fluval FX5. It holds so much media and filters the water really well. I dampened the output a bit but besides that it's awesome!

Curious which one in the pro series you're looking at? The Ecco pro or the larger professional series?I have an Ecco pro 2236 and I highly recommend it. The main difference between the eccos and the classics are the self priming feature (which is really nice)I also have a fluval 306. I really like this canister so far. The media setup in it is really nice, it has more sponge media than the eheim. The thing I don't like about it is the black corrugated (is that the word I want? It's bumpy instead of smooth) tubing, and the components feel cheaper to me than my eheim. I feel like I could easily break something on my fluval accidentally whereas the eheim feels sturdy. The fluval does more gph for cheaper cost though ;)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at both really. I'm sort of a tech geek and liked the thought of the 3e series. My only concern is it too much filter for my aquarium in terms of current. But being able to change the current and flow with a touch of a button appeals to me.

I love the Eheim Classic series, a bulletproof design, tested over decades. In my opinion, the simpler, the better. I also like that it doesn't require media baskets which can result in the water bypassing the media.

Have you chosen your filter yet? If you haven't, fwiw we've been really happy with Eheim Classic (#2213). Water chemistry stays stable with any bioload our 29 gal. can throw at it. We did have to learn to prime it, but once learned it's been a cinch. True, it's a better biofilter than particulate filter. Only very rarely has this ever been noticeable, though. We picked Eheim Classic because, of the reviews we could find, Eheim had the most positive brand reviews and Classic the best Eheim reviews.

Best wishes! Let us know what you choose and how you like it:

I really like my Fluval FX5's that I have. You can't beat the gph and love the amount of media it holds and the ability to customize the media to fit the needs of tank.

For such a large filter you can barely hear it. My old HOB was louder.

I know most don't like the ribbed hoses, but it serves a purpose keeping the hose from crimping. I do like the dark gray color of hoses which aren't as visible.

I would definitely recommend.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I run an Eheim Pro 3e 2078 on my 75g tank. What I can tell you is that while it works fantastic, I don't use any of it's features like I thought I would as the goldfish do not like anything but the standard setting. One of the settings is a stream function, and they hate that setting the most.

I have had to use it's warranty once already with the board failing within the first year of having it and I had to get a replacement from Eheim which required me to replace the board myself.

And just for a reference, here's what the flow looks like during a water change:

Flow1_zpsaceb132d.jpg

I'm pleased with my Fluvals. I have a 405 and a 206. The 206 opens and closes more easily, which is part of the series' improvements I think. I wouldn't say I love these, but I haven't tried any others.

Wow, pleased to see how much traffic this has picked up! I haven't decided on a filter yet, but I think we found our boy Oranda :) He will have to spend a month to six weeks in quarantine so that buys me some time still on the filter.

I'm pleased with my Fluvals. I have a 405 and a 206. The 206 opens and closes more easily, which is part of the series' improvements I think. I wouldn't say I love these, but I haven't tried any others.

We had the 406 when we first got the aquarium and cleaning the thing was a nightmare because I had to use a screwdriver to get the lid off. Very frustrating, then the thing died in the middle of the night one day. Thinking it was sand, I gave it a good thorough cleaning and nothing. Still didn't work. Which was frustrating because I spent a bit of money on that one. So now, I don't care what it costs as long as it works past six months (how long the fluval lasted).

I was also wondering what would be the largest single filter in terms of gph you would put on a 56g tank? Helen likes the Sunsuns, lots of people say good things about the eheim. How difficult is it to dismantle them for cleaning, filter media etc? Because really, at least once a month I'm going to have to lug it to the other side of the house to the tub for cleaning. So that is a big selling point for me. Shopping for a filter is like buying a car - only you can't test drive it :wall

I don't know if they are available in the US but I got 2 on eBay from all pond solutions £60 each ! best filters I have owned in 40 years of fish keeping.

I don't know if they are available in the US but I got 2 on eBay from all pond solutions £60 each ! best filters I have owned in 40 years of fish keeping.

What is it called fingers?

Allpondsolutions 2000EF the EF plus has a built in UV lamp, they are great filters for any price!

Love my Eheims, though not presently using them. One nice factor is replacement parts are available. I like to keep a few spare shafts{can't remember the proper name-thin shaft made of ceramic-looks like a lolli-pop stick} on hand, because I have broken a couple. They are fragile and should be handled with care.

The filters are awesome, and the media top notch. You don't have to buy the replacement filters. You can make them using the originals as a pattern out of the same material bought in large pieces.

As fast as water travels through a filter, I would not put much trust in a built in UV.

Edited by waterfaller1

I run an Eheim Pro 3e 2078 on my 75g tank. What I can tell you is that while it works fantastic, I don't use any of it's features like I thought I would as the goldfish do not like anything but the standard setting. One of the settings is a stream function, and they hate that setting the most.

I have had to use it's warranty once already with the board failing within the first year of having it and I had to get a replacement from Eheim which required me to replace the board myself.

And just for a reference, here's what the flow looks like during a water change:

Flow1_zpsaceb132d.jpg

Another factor that effect Eheims is the availability of different nozzles for the outflow. You can have a spraybar, or various ends that make this a strong or less so flow.

Okay, so would you suggest a 2074 or 2076 (eheim pro) for my 56? Or even the 2048?

I will explore other models but I need a basis for current output (the reason behind the last question). Or perhaps a better way to ask it would be, what filter would you put on it of any brand (size of filter included) and how you reached this decision, what would be the max size and minimum? This is so someone who reads this later might be like, okay I need to get that one.

Ultimately, I'd like to get down to one filter - I don't know if that's feasible and I understand some of the risks involved but the tank looks nicer with less stuff in it in my opinion. Oh, and thanks everyone for your input. This is good stuff.

Edited by MexiMike83

I am not familiar with a 2048, is that this?

http://www.marinedepot.com/filters_eheim_powerline_internal-ap.html

Of the other type, I would choose the 2078. It has 490 GPH. Since it is recommended to have 10X filtration, this will be better. With canister filters being more efficient, the rule can be bent a little.

Sorry, 2074. And you don't feel the current would be too much in or out?