Yes, I'll have fries with those DO ranchu!

ShawneeRiver

I like that they get into places that the other fish can't, like under the driftwood. It's seems cleaner to have something in there keeping things moving, if that makes sense. Plus they are super cool to watch. Ghost shrimp are better for the goldfish tank, if you ever want to try them.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exciting and wonderful!!! :nana It would be so fun to watch them grow. Couldn't you use something over the hose end that would suck up the water, but not the fry? Maybe a piece of pantyhose fastened with a rubber band?

That would work, but my problem is that I need to get debris out that is much bigger than the fry.

• 2 weeks later...

How exciting and wonderful!!! :nana It would be so fun to watch them grow. Couldn't you use something over the hose end that would suck up the water, but not the fry? Maybe a piece of pantyhose fastened with a rubber band?

That would work, but my problem is that I need to get debris out that is much bigger than the fry.

seems that all is going ok.

alittle note. chicken yolk egg boiled is not a very good fry food as you are finding out. better is artemia ( live or decaps egg) or even fines such as sera micron .

give them more water depth and less current works very well and requires active work on your part.

treat for parasite soonest as possible , a little prazi.

give some salt too.

Edited by mikroll

Thanks, Mikroll. Your expert advice is always appreciated! :)

Here's a picture from Saturday. I lost a few during the WC. I'm not sure if they were scared to death or what. They aren't as dark in person, but you can see them better this way. :)

Btw, see if you can find the one baby cherry shrimp in there. I will have to call him Waldo. :rofl

10674852224_fa9e4ab18f_b.jpg

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Did anyone find Waldo? :rofl

upper right hand where the container dips. :) I should get a prize for finding him and on my phone none the less lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I pronounce thee the Where's Waldo champ! :clapping: Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Supporter

Did anyone find Waldo? :rofl

upper right hand where the container dips. :) I should get a prize for finding him and on my phone none the less lol

I pronounce thee the Where's Waldo champ! :clapping:
I need a medal :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an overdue update. The fry are 3-1/2 weeks old, and many of them finally look bigger! I clearly have a couple of varieties. Mom was a ranchu, but the three potential dads were a ranchu, a long-tailed ryukin and a red-cap oranda. All of the biggger fry have dorsal fins, so I'm thinking they are offspring off the ryukin or oranda. But I have a group of smaller fish that appear to be ranchu, which is very exciting. Fun fact: The ranchu babies are smaller than the babies with dorsals. :thumb:

I have had some losses. I lost several on Nov. 2 during a big cleaning. I think the stress of the cleaning killed a few of the smallest ones. Also, I don't see the baby shrimp anymore. :idont

They hatched Oct. 19. Here's a picture from Nov. 2. They still were very small and most were about the same size.

10674852224_fa9e4ab18f_b.jpg

Here's a picture from Nov. 12. The bigger ones now are quite a bit bigger and have dorsal fins.

10854294716_d0737b558b_b.jpg

Nov. 12. You can see one of the biggest fry and one of the smallest here. The smallest still looks like an eyelash, especially compared to the bigger one.

10854382374_733a770df8_b.jpg