Yes, I'll have fries with those DO ranchu!

ShawneeRiver

Ohhh, I loved reading your topic. Congratulations on all the fry. :) You must have a great camera to get such awesome photo's of the babies. Your Ranchu's are gorgeous. I love your black and white one. I'll be looking forward to seeing them get big.

Thank, Cheryl. Actually, I have a 6-year-old Sony point and shoot. I was pretty happy to be able to get those pictures. :clapping:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, I had a double dose of Prazi in the main tank when the fish spawned, and that was the third round (annual treatment). So I wonder if I need to. I probably will just to be safe.

Here are the back corners of the tank. Look at them all!! :yikes:nana

10423043743_87fa5ca786_c.jpg

10422870714_8166ded2ec_c.jpg

No, and I'm concerned about that. The tank looks dirty because it was running before I plunked the plants in there. And the plants carried in stuff, including fuzzy eggs, and the hornwort is shedding. :( Today I added water to freshen the tank, and I think it will be easier to take water out now that there's more volume to start with.

Oh wow, there are so many of them! It's looks like there could be way more than 50!!! With that oranda as their mother, they should all be just beautiful :):wub: :wub:

I think I may be a little jealous :P:rofl

No, and I'm concerned about that. The tank looks dirty because it was running before I plunked the plants in there. And the plants carried in stuff, including fuzzy eggs, and the hornwort is shedding. :( Today I added water to freshen the tank, and I think it will be easier to take water out now that there's more volume to start with.

When I had small fry and eggs, I used a turkey baster to remove the fuzzy eggs and debris. It was one of my very favorites things, and I used it all the time (still do, even without fry!). I also used some airline tubing to vacuum the bottom of the tank, but that can be a little tricky. I believe a couple of them got sucked up, and didn't make it :( and it also was very slow. You could always clean out the bottom with a turkey baster, then scoop out a little water bit by bit while making sure there are no fry on board. :)

Yup turkey baster to remove debris and as you said removing water is easier than adding as you don't want to create too much current (those are delicate backs right now) try adding water through a funnel or two to reduce the current :)

Yay fry!! If Mikey is getting one put me on the list! you could even ship them together since we're relatively close ;):rofl

:P nice idea and we can go halfsies on the shipping :).

The fry tank is pretty gross already. I have been feeding a slurry of egg yolk. It's mostly water, and I mush a tiny bit and dip the spoon in the corners of the tank. It's just enough to make a light cloud, but then it falls on the floor and plants, and it's gross. And the hornwort is not happy (lighting, I assume), so it's shedding all over. :thumbdown

On the plus side, I don't see any dead fry. They all are swimming, and I can see them eating the tiny bits out of the water. I can see full bellies. I even saw one pooping! :nana:rofl

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I caught all the fry today (I hope!) and cleaned their tank. It was disgusting. That eggyolk is making the biofilm grow like crazy. I also took the plants out because they were too messy. The fish seem fine. I found two tiny, almost clear shrimp (plant hitchhikers), but one was lost because he went up the syphon. :(