Yes, I'll have fries with those DO ranchu!

ShawneeRiver

Hi peeps!! I'm so excited -- I have my first fry! Fry are the about the last thing I need, but the mother is my new DO ranchu Shep, one of the dads is my DO ranchu Cow, my husband gave me a little nudge, and the fish didn't eat the eggs. Pretty much the stars were aligned for me to try to save them. ;)

I noticed the spawning on the morning of Oct. 17. I have a large mass of floating hornwort in my tank and a large anubias, and the eggs were mostly on those two plants. My orange calico ranchu is the mother. The three dads are ranchu Cow, long-tailed ryukin Goldeen and red cap oranda Peach. The fish have been a little sick, so they didn't eat all the eggs like normal. After a day, I could definitely see a lot of little eyeballs.

On Oct. 19, after my husband gave me a nudge, we moved the huge hornwort and anubias to a 20g long with an airstone. Immediately, tiny fish appeared. I assume they had already hatched and were on the plants.

Today, Oct. 21, I have 1-2 dozen swimming fry already! I fed them a tiny bit of eggyolk slurry, and I can see teeny tiny mouths eating!!! Squee!! I'm looking at them through a cheap jewelers loop, so I can see them well when they are close to the glass.

It seems like this is moving quickly. Besides the swimming fry, a dozen or two more are on the bottom and the sides, just hatched. And I think many are in the plants. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than 50. :yikes So if you'd like a baby chu in a couple of months, cross your fingers and keep me in mind!! :krazy:

Oct. 20

10382614203_0652d4e1ce_c.jpg

There's one on the right side of the lower leaf and one on the right side of the right-most leaf.

10382433315_fe72c036d4_c.jpg

Swimming and eating, Oct. 21

10413342475_46e94d08ec_c.jpg

Home. It's impossible to know how many are in there!

10382429435_3875c0ec24_c.jpg

Go, babies! :nana

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg! I can't wait to see them grow :nana I'm in for a baby :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm just hoping that some of them live! I've seen that raising fry isn't so easy. Fins and fingers crossed! :please

I have them in about 6 inches of water with an airstone. There's current near the stone, and the swimmers don't seem to be suffering from it. To me, the still water seemed gross, so I added the stone. The plants keep the current down. I got a sponge filter today, and I'll add that when all of them are off the bottom.

:o Really? I think my kids would be over the moon. Of course, both of their fish are the girls in the tank. Fortunately they look enough alike that if they ever did have fry we'd never be able to tell who's the mama unless we actually see it happening. Although they do chase Bobbie a lot more than they chase Swimmie. :idont

I bet as they grow (and get easier to see!! :rofl ) they will become more interested. They will wnat to keep them all, you'll need to build a pond . . . . :rofl

Ohhh, I loved reading your topic. Congratulations on all the fry. :) You must have a great camera to get such awesome photo's of the babies. Your Ranchu's are gorgeous. I love your black and white one. I'll be looking forward to seeing them get big.

Looks like I'm gonna need to upgrade :rofl

Sooooo exciting!!! :nana I'm so glad hubby gave you the nudge to save them all! :D can't wait to see these guys grow :heart