Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Algaefix did this.

So sorry about the big girl. She might have been weak from something else and this tipped the balance. Since the other fish are improving, it seems likely they will recover completely.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Here are the pics of the fish with the tear in his tail.

And yeah, I was really bummed to see her passed away, but I was kind of expecting that since she didn't look very good the last few days. I'm just glad the others are OK.

And yes Helen, I did lower the water level more to create more air bubbles and agitates water.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

So Very sorry to hear you lost your large Oranda :( I do hope the other continue to improve :)

I'm so sorry you lost your oranda :(

have you added salt or anything else to the tank?

If it were me, I would up the salt to .3% to assist with healing the fins.

How are their gills looking? Did you ever treat with prazi for flukes?

In these stressful situations I worry about underlying issues such as low level flukes. The fish may be asymptomatic because the immune system was dealing with whatever low level may have been present, but when an environmental stressor occurs immune system response decreases and low level pathogens may become apparent.

Hi Alvin,

I am so sorry you lost your fish. :(

I am going to repeat one last time what two moderators have asked. Did you treat your fish with ANYTHING ELSE, other than the clean water? It is very important that you answer this question truthfully, if nothing else, to learn and for others to learn.

Thank you.

Ooops, sorry, haven't checked in in a while. So here's the run down:

I did the mentioned 2 90% water changes yesterday. Added 5 packets of Triple Sulfa (5 packets treats 50gallons, my tank is 72, so I underdosed it)

Did a 50% water change today, double dosed Prime, and half dosed melafix since the label on the bottle describes the symptoms my fish are having.

Fed soilent green today and everyone of them ate.

No other medication added, no salt or anything else.

Edited by alvintran1998

I did the mentioned 2 90% water changes yesterday. Added 5 packets of Triple Sulfa (5 packets treats 50gallons, my tank is 72, so I underdosed it)

Did a 50% water change today, double dosed Prime, and half dosed melafix since the label on the bottle describes the symptoms my fish are having.

May I ask why you were dosing with antibiotics and why the Melafix? Symptoms of bottom sitting, lying on their sides are symptomatic of very ill fish whose organs are severely overworked. Adding things that make those organs work even harder without just cause could, and it appeared to have, push them over the edge.

Please also forgive me for being blunt with the following. I understand that you worry about your fish, but if every worried fish keeper adds more and more treatments to their tanks, we would have more dead fish, and a lot of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Furthermore, I am very disappointed that all of these people who have tried to help, have done so in good faith. Yet, you went ahead with a treatment that you were specifically advised not to do. Moreover, you chose not to disclose having done so, leaving many of us perplexed as to what could have happened.

I really don't know why you decided to do what you did, or if you were counseled elsewhere to do so, but I really sincerely hope that you take the following advice to heart for the future. There are many ways of solving a problem, but when you try to use all of those methods at once, or you fail to keep open communication, failure is assured. This is not just with goldfish, but with everything in life. In this instance, we would not have been angry or upset that you chose to do something else. Instead, we would know either to back out, or reformulate suggestions based on new information.

Please understand that I am not all trying to yell at you. I am just trying to make it so that we always have open communication.

Lastly, I am so very sorry that your oranda did not make it, and hope the rest fare better.

May I ask why you were dosing with antibiotics and why the Melafix? Symptoms of bottom sitting, lying on their sides are symptomatic of very ill fish whose organs are severely overworked. Adding things that make those organs work even harder without just cause could, and it appeared to have, push them over the edge.

Please also forgive me for being blunt with the following. I understand that you worry about your fish, but if every worried fish keeper adds more and more treatments to their tanks, we would have more dead fish, and a lot of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Furthermore, I am very disappointed that all of these people who have tried to help, have done so in good faith. Yet, you went ahead with a treatment that you were specifically advised not to do. Moreover, you chose not to disclose having done so, leaving many of us perplexed as to what could have happened.

I really don't know why you decided to do what you did, or if you were counseled elsewhere to do so, but I really sincerely hope that you take the following advice to heart for the future. There are many ways of solving a problem, but when you try to use all of those methods at once, or you fail to keep open communication, failure is assured. This is not just with goldfish, but with everything in life. In this instance, we would not have been angry or upset that you chose to do something else. Instead, we would know either to back out, or reformulate suggestions based on new information.

Please understand that I am not all trying to yell at you. I am just trying to make it so that we always have open communication.

Lastly, I am so very sorry that your oranda did not make it, and hope the rest fare better.

Thanks for the response! As for the medication, I was advised by somebody on the forum through personal contact to do so, and I thought that since I underdose those, there won't be any harm. Also as for the Melafix, I just half dosed it this afternoon, after I saw all of the remaining fish swimming around and eating, to treat for the frayed fins.

And thank you to those who helped and gave me suggestions, I appreciate it. I apologize for not updating right away, and for not following some of your advice, do know that I do keep your advice in mind, but it is difficult to just watch the fish without doing anything that might help it.

I know that it's difficult to wait, but a lot of times this is what we must do. This is especially true when the fish is not infected. You knew that the Algaefix precipitated this chain of event, and others have had the experience. So, adding antibiotics won't help, and will hurt. :(

As for dosages, it is extremely dangerous to under or overdose. You add too little and you risk the meds being ineffective, or worse, causing antibiotic resistance. You use too much, and you can kill the fish. When you go to a doctor, they don't tell you to take half or a quarter or less of a med. They tell you to take exactly the amount the subscribe, unless told otherwise. It's based on the same principle.

As for getting advice from others, you are of course free to do that. I am just disappointed that this person was sneaky and did not choose to add the suggestions here, and I am afraid this time the advice was very badly given. Perhaps I am too old fashioned, but people who are right and just do not need to sneak around.

Anyway, none of this changes how we feel about you. It's a lesson learned, and in the end, I very much appreciate your candor, and hope that this will continue in the future. It's absolutely fine to say that you've chosen a different route, and we respect you your choices. Always.

Anyway, enough of that. How are the rest of the fish? Are Melafix and Triple Sulfa still in the water?

I know that it's difficult to wait, but a lot of times this is what we must do. This is especially true when the fish is not infected. You knew that the Algaefix precipitated this chain of event, and others have had the experience. So, adding antibiotics won't help, and will hurt. :(

As for dosages, it is extremely dangerous to under or overdose. You add too little and you risk the meds being ineffective, or worse, causing antibiotic resistance. You use too much, and you can kill the fish. When you go to a doctor, they don't tell you to take half or a quarter or less of a med. They tell you to take exactly the amount the subscribe, unless told otherwise. It's based on the same principle.

As for getting advice from others, you are of course free to do that. I am just disappointed that this person was sneaky and did not choose to add the suggestions here, and I am afraid this time the advice was very badly given. Perhaps I am too old fashioned, but people who are right and just do not need to sneak around.

Anyway, none of this changes how we feel about you. It's a lesson learned, and in the end, I very much appreciate your candor, and hope that this will continue in the future. It's absolutely fine to say that you've chosen a different route, and we respect you your choices. Always.

Anyway, enough of that. How are the rest of the fish? Are Melafix and Triple Sulfa still in the water?

They are doing fine now and getting better. I'll continue to do water changes to help with their recovery for sure.

Talk about 'coming back with a BANG' huh?! lol

Edited by alvintran1998

LOL

Sometimes events just spiral out of control. We do our best, and learn for the better. :)

I am glad they are better, and hope they are back to 100% soon!

LOL

Sometimes events just spiral out of control. We do our best, and learn for the better. :)

I am glad they are better, and hope they are back to 100% soon!

:thumbup2::exactly

Glad they are doing better :)

Please disregard my previous advice. Had I known you had added other meds I would not have recommended salt for the fins. This is why it's so important to let us know everything that's going on. If we don't know that you've added meds we could potentially recommend doing something that might be harmful to your fish :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whew, looks like my fish have reached full recovery since all of them are healthy, eating, swimming, and are back to normal. The only thing now is the tear in the lionhead's tail that needs healing, everything else is good now.

Lol, this wasn't the introduction of the new ranchus I was intending to make, but I'm glad that they both are doing 'fin-tastic' now!

And again, thanks to everyone for the well wishes and support!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

May you have smooth sailings from here on out!

:Congrats:

May you have smooth sailings from here on out!

:Congrats:

Seems like it. :tbanana

Sorry, don't mean to bring this back up again, but here's an update:

I now have 4 remaining fish, 2 of my 5 past fish, and 2 ECR that are doing healthy as always.

I also contacted API about the issue, and after exchanging emails with a rep, he said that although he is not able to bring the dead fish back to life, he can send me a care package. I was asked what I would like, and I told him that their root tabs and liquid fert would be nice. I only expected like a package of root tabs and a bottle of liquid fert. But what would you know? The stuff arrived today, and I was surprised and blown away at how many things were included. Here's the list:

1 freshwater master test kit

3 packages of root tabs

1 bottle of stress zyme,

1 bottle of stress coat,

1 bottle of CO2 Booster

2 bags of Nitra-Zorb

and 1 container of goldfish food.

Although I won't be using some of these products (the food), I am very appreciative and impressed of their customer service. Although I may have had a bad experience with one of their products, their customer service and care is quite nice.

I now have 4 remaining fish, 2 of my 5 past fish, and 2 ECR that are doing healthy as always.

I also contacted API about the issue, and after exchanging emails with a rep, he said that although he is not able to bring the dead fish back to life, he can send me a care package. I was asked what I would like, and I told him that their root tabs and liquid fert would be nice. I only expected like a package of root tabs and a bottle of liquid fert. But what would you know? The stuff arrived today, and I was surprised and blown away at how many things were included. Here's the list:

3 packages of root tabs

1 bottle of stress zyme,

1 bottle of stress coat,

1 bottle of CO2 Booster

2 bags of Nitra-Zorb

Although I won't be using some of these products (the food), I am very appreciative and impressed of their customer service. Although I may have had a bad experience with one of their products, their customer service and care is quite nice.

that's very nice of them :) even if you aren't going to use them all, at least they showed some consideration and good customer service :)

Sorry for your losses Alvin. :hug

I'm glad you contacted them and they responded appropriately. :)

Wow that is very nice of the company :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What great customer service! I definitely would have appreciated a free Master Test Kit.

Hope your fish are doing well. :)

3 packages of root tabs

1 bottle of stress zyme,

1 bottle of stress coat,

1 bottle of CO2 Booster

2 bags of Nitra-Zorb

That was very kind of them, although I would like to point out what was unspoken here was the tacit acknowledgment that these chemicals sometimes can kill.

It's best never to use them, use them without the fish in the tank, or use them very very judiciously.

I'm glad your fish are doing better and I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug that was so sweet of API. :heart