Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Algaefix did this.

I asked Alvin to test tap params just to be sure some hasn't changed. He reported everything is 0 except nitrite is 5ppm (is that correct Alvin?)

Tap ph was 7.2

5 ppm nitrite is quite high. Would you mind just double checking that one just to be sure? That is a pretty significant issue if tap is truly 5 ppm nitrite.

Do you have salt you can add to the tank?

Salting will help ward off nitrite toxicity.

I have to go to bed now but I'm sure others will jump in if they have suggestions. I'll check back in tomorrow .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant 5ppm nitrate, the third step in nitrogen cycle. I get those 2 mixed up some times.

And yes, I do have aquarium salt.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

my only recommendation is to get rid of the Algaefix and do large water changes to totally remove it. I personally experienced near death results with my community of goldfish whilst using that product and the fish bounced back relatively quickly after I had totally removed this product from the tanks.

perhaps your previous community of freshwater fish were used to the product and these ones aren't.

do you have access to a microscope?. it's not that I do not trust Cynthia's methods of eradicating flukes and tapeworms, but depending on how long they underwent treatment in her care, it is also possible that larvae has hatched and reinfestation has occurred. please do contact Cynthia if you suspect this may be the case.. or unless symptoms only occurred whilst you commenced treatment with Algaefix.

I have algae free tanks.. nothing wrong with a bit of dedicated elbow work during a water change to keep them that way.

my only recommendation is to get rid of the Algaefix and do large water changes to totally remove it. I personally experienced near death results with my community of goldfish whilst using that product and the fish bounced back relatively quickly after I had totally removed this product from the tanks.

perhaps your previous community of freshwater fish were used to the product and these ones aren't.

do you have access to a microscope?. it's not that I do not trust Cynthia's methods of eradicating flukes and tapeworms, but depending on how long they underwent treatment in her care, it is also possible that larvae has hatched and reinfestation has occurred. please do contact Cynthia if you suspect this may be the case.. or unless symptoms only occurred whilst you commenced treatment with Algaefix.

I have algae free tanks.. nothing wrong with a bit of dedicated elbow work during a water change to keep them that way.

Yup, definitely tossing out the bottle of Algaefix. I've actually sent them a strongly worded email regarding my issue, but I doubt they're going to do anything about it except try to blame it on some other things. But it's worth a try I guess.

Yup, the reaction started right after I dosed the Algaefix, the new fish have been in the tank for 2 days before then so I don't think that they're the cause.

And after the dosing of Algae fix, I've done a 50% water change, and two 90%. If that doesn't get rid of the algaefix in the water, I don't know what will.

And nope, I do not have microscopes, my mom thinks I'm crazy that I have a weight scale for my fish, I don't know what she'll say when I bring home a microscope and say "it's part of my goldfish care". Lol.

Let's hope for the best I guess.

continue to water change... as frequently as possible to restore the health of your fish.. I would be doing two 60% wc's daily for the next few days.

the company won't listen to you.. we've tried in the past. we've even tried to persuade them to put a health risk mention on their label for fish, but nothing came from it. since the product can be used in planted tanks where fish or other animals are not present, they can market it as they wish. I guess then it's up to the retailers to want to educate their customers with regards to potential health risks to their live stock, but unfortunately, that also means loss in sales which is always the sticking point.

I want to point out that this prodoct has hundreds of positive reviews online. I have also used it successfully. It is very important to follow the instructions carefully. Is it possible you used too much?

I want to point out that this prodoct has hundreds of positive reviews online. I have also used it successfully. It is very important to follow the instructions carefully. Is it possible you used too much?

I don't think so. I could have missed a few drops here and there but I did count out the drops from the instructions.

Early morning update: no casualty overnight, which I to be honest was not expecting. And more good news is that at least a few are actually swimming around and doesn't breath as heavily. But there's still some that are lethargic and heavy breathing. And my big oranda, oh oranda, I don't think how she's going to hold up since she's not really swimming now, just mostly floating and bottom sitting.

is it possible for you to add aeration to the tank during this time?

keep up with the water changes today. Did you add any salt?

There is a chance you did overdose, particularly if you didn't take into account the space taken up by decor in the tank.

Looks like you Got the whole Mod team helping..... Good job guys :)

I don't think so. I could have missed a few drops here and there but I did count out the drops from the instructions.

Early morning update: no casualty overnight, which I to be honest was not expecting. And more good news is that at least a few are actually swimming around and doesn't breath as heavily. But there's still some that are lethargic and heavy breathing. And my big oranda, oh oranda, I don't think how she's going to hold up since she's not really swimming now, just mostly floating and bottom sitting.

Cool man I'm glad to hear some of the fish are doing better. I do agree with the person who said try to add aeration. I also noticed you said you lowered the water level a bit to cause more aeration from the filter water return. You are doing a good job. I believe Orandas are a slightly "weaker" fish, as they have been manipulated through breeding and it doesn't surprise me that the biggest one is struggling. Keep testing your water and change it if you start to see readings of anything.

is it possible for you to add aeration to the tank during this time?

More aeration? Will do when I get home this afternoon.

And no I didn't add any salt.

And thanks for the help guys. I really hope they pull through, especially the oranda.

I didn't know algae was such an issue, that these products exist.

So I'm going to PetSmart this afternoon, is there any medication or anything I need to buy?

No I think this situation can be resolved without medications but you can always update with a pic or vid of your fish so we can follow along on the healing process :)

I hope your Goldfish feel better.

Hi Alvin, how are your fish today? You have gotten fantastic help from a number of people, so I hope you have been following their suggestions. Since that aspect has been dealt with, and we are now waiting for the fish to recover, I would like to take the opportunity to list some (not all) of the reasons why algicides are to be avoided:

1. Algicides do not deal with the underlying problem. If your tank is somehow experiencing an imbalance that causes a outgrowth of algae, then adding another chemical to the mix isn't likely going to fix this. It simply masks the issue, so that you have to continue using this chemical, or the algae will come back when you remove it. The same is true with using a UV to control the algae. You create a situation of dependence that is neither healthy for your pocket, your fish, or the tank ecology.

2. Many algicides are based on copper sulfate. This is the one substance that is quite harming to the fish if used outside a very narrow range of concentrations. Damages can include permanent kidney impairment to death.

3. Finally, I think it's really important to subscribe to mantra of less is more. Outside of creating a safe (Prime) and stable (kH/pH), you really should not be adding anything to tank. The only other exception is when you need to do what is required to sustain a healthy aquatic plant system in the tank. In this line of thought, things like algicides, flocculants, aloe supplements, etc. are all superfluous and are at best wasteful and at worst damaging.

Please check your tap and tank pH

Products like algaefix are not generally recommended. They are notorious for causing problems for aquarium inhabitants. Better to just manually remove the diatoms or do a bleach dip on your plants outside the tank.

I agree. We also some very nice tutorials for several sources for this. :)

Just for future reference, if you suspect something toxic is in your tank, do a full, not a partial, water change. The only exception is if you have a big difference between tank and tap pH. Then you would do a series of partial water changes a few hours apart.

This really should be the mantra for every goldfish keeper. It's the one thing you can be sure to do each and every time there is a problem.

Keep doing daily large water changes and report if their condition worsens. The fish can heal themselves from this normally as long as they are kept in clean water conditions.

If you are concerned about your ecr fish, you can email the breeder for assistance with them. :)

Exactly. :)

I wouldn't say that they are normal just yet, but most of them seem a lot better than yesterday. They are actually swimming around, and actually eating. So that's awesome.

The most concerning thing right now is the large oranda. She does not swim around at all, bottom sits, and breaths heavily. Right now she's upright, but I sometimes find her on her side. I'm really concerned about her.

nothing recovers back to it's original health overnight.... after being poisoned. give it time & frequent water changes. goldfish are individuals too.. some affected more than others. time & fresh water, more air.

Glad they are beginning to come around. Hope they continue improving!

You might be tempted to treat or medicate, but keep in mind that the fish got this way because they essentially got poisoned. The antidote now is fresh water and patience. Medicating them could stress their kidneys even more, which could result in death or dropsy.

Hang in there.

How are they doing today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Sorry to hear about what happened to your beautiful fish :( I hope the continued w/c's help them recover fully :)

Sad news. I came home just a few minutes ago to find my large oranda dead, her body stuck to the filter intake tube. This breaks my heart since she was very beautiful, and was a Christmas gift from my family. But fortunately, the rest seem much better now, eating and swimming around. One fish has a huge tear in the tail, so that needs treatment or healing I think. I hope there's no more deaths and this disaster is finally over. I hope.

:( I am sorry to hear that your large oranda passed :rip: I am glad the other fish survived without any other issues.

A tear will heal on it's own with clean water but you can take a picture of it and we'll see how deep it is.

that IS sad, and I am so sorry for your loss.. did you add the extra air?

what else have you treated with?