Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Algaefix did this.

I was changing my goldfish tank water yesterday, and after I filled it up, I added some Algaefix since there were diatom algae on the anubias leaves and on the back glass and I wanted to get rid of it. But about an hour later I went in to check on the fish, I was horrified to see that all of my fish were bottom sitting, not swimming, breathing very heavily, and there seems to be slime coming off of the body and frayed fins. Then I did a 50% water change for the tank in hope of bringing the fish back to health and everything back to normal. It was kind of late after I did the second water change so I went to bed and hoped for the best.

This morning when I woke up, everyone was still very lethargic, heavy breathing, tails and fins of at least 2 fish are badly frayed but the slime has stopped coming off. So knowing that I had time, I did a 90% water change again, and that's where I am right now. So far no casualty yet, but one of my ryukins seems to be a goner since she's still breathing, but floating and not swimming. I suspect that it's the Algaefix that caused this because it was a normal routine otherwise. What should I do now?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 last time I checked
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 last time I checked
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0 last time I checked
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) haven't checked
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) don't know
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drop Test
      • * Water temperature? Was 75, but now 73
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 gallons, 10 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aquaclear 70, 1 20
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday when it happened
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 (2 small, 3 medium, 1 large)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Soilent Green, daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2 ranchus from ECR
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Only Algaefix (suspected cause)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Praziquantel & QuickCure used by ECR for the Ranchus, none otherwise
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? frayed fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? heavy breathing, bottom sitting, not eating, clamped fins
Edited by alvintran1998

Please check your tap and tank pH

Products like algaefix are not generally recommended. They are notorious for causing problems for aquarium inhabitants. Better to just manually remove the diatoms or do a bleach dip on your plants outside the tank.

Please check your tap and tank pH

Products like algaefix are not generally recommended. They are notorious for causing problems for aquarium inhabitants. Better to just manually remove the diatoms or do a bleach dip on your plants outside the tank.

I used algaeclean for my freshwater tank before without any problem, that I underdosed then.

And I'll do the pH test now.

Just for future reference, if you suspect something toxic is in your tank, do a full, not a partial, water change. The only exception is if you have a big difference between tank and tap pH. Then you would do a series of partial water changes a few hours apart.

pH tank is 7.3, and I just did the 90% water change about 15 minutes ago so I suspect the pH is the same.

Just for future reference, if you suspect something toxic is in your tank, do a full, not a partial, water change. The only exception is if you have a big difference between tank and tap pH. Then you would do a series of partial water changes a few hours apart.

I know, but it was getting late last night so I couldn't do the full water change.

what's your tap pH? (sorry, I should have been more specific when I asked for pH... I wanted to know both :P)

Would it be possible to get a video of your fish as well, just a quick one to see their behavior and the frayed fins?

do you have an airstone running in the tank?

what's your tap pH? (sorry, I should have been more specific when I asked for pH... I wanted to know both :P)

Would it be possible to get a video of your fish as well, just a quick one to see their behavior and the frayed fins?

I have a bubble wand going, and another air stone as well.

And I just did the water change not too long ago, so shouldn't the tap pH be around the same as the tank?

I'll do the video now.

Best of luck Alvin .... I hope all goes well for you!! :fishtank

Please tell me if the link works or not since I have privacy set.

Works fine my friend!!! :thumbup2:

Tap is not necessarily the same as tank, please test your tap so we can be sure ;)

I'd like you to do two back to back 90% water changes just so we can be sure the algaefix is totally out of the system. But I don't want to recommend this unless your tank and tap pH are within .5ppm of each other. It's always good to double check ;)

Let's see how they do with just clean water. It seems like the irritant here is the algaefix. There is definitely excess slimecoat on the fish and some redness in the tails which can both be a reaction to a chemical irritant.

You can also drop the water level a little bit so there is some surface splash in order to increase aeration, the algaefix reduces oxygen in the water if I remember correctly which could explain some of the heavy breathing you were/are seeing. We want to make sure there is more than enough aeration while they are recovering.

You can also drop the water level a little bit so there is some surface splash in order to increase aeration, the algaefix reduces oxygen in the water if I remember correctly which could explain some of the heavy breathing you were/are seeing. We want to make sure there is more than enough aeration while they are recovering.

I remember having do this for my fish when my water went green.

I hope your fish feel better!

EDIT: such bad typing difficulties. :rofl

Edited by Mikey

I have a bubble wand going, and another air stone as well.

And I just did the water change not too long ago, so shouldn't the tap pH be around the same as the tank?

I'll do the video now.

Just out of interest on the tank v tap, no. My tap pH is 7.8 but my tank is 8.2. I don't alter my pH in any manner, that's just how it adjusts when exposed to the air.

I hope the back to back water changes is all your fish need and just time to get to feeling better.

That must have been frightening to see your fish after you thought you did something good for your tank/plants.

Your fish are gorgeous and I hope they feel much better before the end of the night.

Tap is not necessarily the same as tank, please te7t your tap sI b we can be sure ;)

I'd like you to do two back to back 90% water changes just so we can be sure the algaefix is totally out of the system. But I don't want to recommend this unless your tank and tap pH are within .5ppm of each other. It's always good to double check ;)

Let's see how they do with just clean water. It seems like the irritant here is the algaefix. There is definitely excess slimecoat on the fish and some redness in the tails which can both be a reaction to a chemical irritant.

Can someone clarify the ph ppm thing? ph measures acidity or basicity of liquid on a scale. 7 is neutral i believe. Its kind of splitting hairs but might as well clarify.

Edited by DieselPlower

Tap is not necessarily the same as tank, please te7t your tap sI b we can be sure ;)

Can someone clarify the ph ppm thing? ph measures acidity or basicity of liquid on a scale. 7 is neutral i believe. Its kind of splitting hairs but might as well clarify.

I'm not sure I understand the question, are you asking why the recommendation to match within .5, or why I used ppm in that sentence? If your question was about the 'ppm' in that sentence specifically, I meant to just say to match within .5, not .5ppm, that was a quick typing mistake on my part ;) And yes, 7 is neutral, above this increasingly more alkaline, and below 7 increasingly more acidic, with pH being a logarithmic scale where each 1.0 shift is 10x more acidic or alkaline

I'm not sure I understand the question, are you asking why the recommendation to match within .5, or why I used ppm in that sentence? If your question was about the 'ppm' in that sentence specifically, I meant to just say to match within .5, not .5ppm, that was a quick typing mistake on my part ;) And yes, 7 is neutral, above this increasingly more alkaline, and below 7 increasingly more acidic, with pH being a logarithmic scale where each 1.0 shift is 10x more acidic or alkaline

Cool i figured you either typed ppm on accident or i was confused about what ph was. Thanks.

Sorry I've been out so haven't gotten a chance to response or do anything to the tank. Now that I'm back, ive lowered the water level so the filters can splash and send bubbles to the bottom of the tank. All fish are still breathing except for one, and she's my favorite too. :(. As for the remaining fish, some are doing better than others, there are 2 that are swimming around, though still breathing heavily. The others are staying in one spot breathing heavily. And my biggest oranda is bottom sitting, and when I bring an air pump near her, she does not move. What should I do now? I feel so bad and mad that I tried to do good with getting rid of algae but now all of my fish are suffering and I don't even know if they're going to make it. :(

Also, I've already done a 50% water change, and another 90%, do I need to do another one? I feel like I've used up a lot of water for the day.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by alvintran1998

Algae may be unsightly for us the owner but it is a tasty treat for fish. Most algae in a tank will not cause a health issue for fish. If it seems unsightly to you, do as others has suggested by bleaching your plants in a dip or wiping down the sides of your tank. :)

Algae may be unsightly for us the owner but it is a tasty treat for fish. Most algae in a tank will not cause a health issue for fish. If it seems unsightly to you, do as others has suggested by bleaching your plants in a dip or wiping down the sides of your tank. :)

Learn from mistakes I guess.

But what should I do with the fish now?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Keep doing daily large water changes and report if their condition worsens. The fish can heal themselves from this normally as long as they are kept in clean water conditions.

If you are concerned about your ecr fish, you can email the breeder for assistance with them. :)

I'm sorry hun :(

I am recommending water changes because even with a 50% and 90% water change a percentage of the water still has the algaefix in it... if I was better at math I could tell you exactly how much ;) Please do another big water change if you can.

You can also try adding .1% salt if you like, 1 teaspoon per gallon, just to help with osmoregulation.

Because this appears to be the result of the algaefix and not a disease, I'm not sure there is a whole lot we can do at this point by make sure all of that stuff is out of the water and keep water conditions pristine. Keep the tank lights off as much as you can to reduce stressors. If you have an appropriately sized QT and filter you could set it up for any fish that seem especially stressed.

Man I'm sorry :(

Best wishes that everybody has a complete and miraculously quick recovery

I asked Alvin to test tap params just to be sure some hasn't changed. He reported everything is 0 except nitrite is 5ppm (is that correct Alvin?)

Tap ph was 7.2

5 ppm nitrite is quite high. Would you mind just double checking that one just to be sure? That is a pretty significant issue if tap is truly 5 ppm nitrite.

Do you have salt you can add to the tank?

Salting will help ward off nitrite toxicity.

I have to go to bed now but I'm sure others will jump in if they have suggestions. I'll check back in tomorrow .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk