My First Attempt at Hand Spawning

Scarlett

So after watching those videos on hand spawning that someone kindly posted, I decided that next time my fish spawn, I'd give it a go.

Well, today was that day. My beautiful veil (ribbon) tail Oranda was being chased by three males. Two of the males are new and are young, so were only putting on a show. I put some tank water in a bowl and gently milked some milt out of my big red cap Oranda. Then I gently eased some eggs out of my female. I swirled the water as I did it and none of the eggs clumped and they all stuck to the side of the bowl.

Tomorrow, if I happen to see little eyes looking at me, you'll hear my squeals of joy! Squea!!!!

This is the eggs in their bowl with an air stone.Posted Image

Watch this space!!!! :)

Oh, how fun! I hope you get lots of cute little babies, that mix sounds like they'll turn out so pretty! :wub: About how many eggs do you think you have?

Hi. I was just wondering, why do people do this? Weren't the fish already doing it? Would it be to manipulate which fish "mate"? So you could determine what type of fish you will have?

Also, that looks like a lot of bubbles. Can you turn it down at all?

I have enjoyed raising fry. Hope you will too :)

I've hand spawned once and if both parties are 'ready' it doesn't take much pressure to get eggs and milt. I just do a soft motion moving from the anal fins to the vent and no more pressure than you could comfortably put on your eye(if that makes any sense). I hope they are fertilized!! Fingers crossed. :)

Hi. I was just wondering, why do people do this? Weren't the fish already doing it? Would it be to manipulate which fish "mate"? So you could determine what type of fish you will have?

I think people do it to control where the eggs go. I'm sure it's easier to have the eggs in the bowl than to have them spread all over the tank. And it would answer the "Who's your daddy?" issue, and it should make sure the eggs are evenly fertilized. I can't believe how many eggs did not get fertilized in my tank last week. You'd think that three big males chasing one female would result in most of them being fertilized, but I found many that weren't. The boys need to work on their skillz with the ladies. ;):rofl

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Oh, how fun! I hope you get lots of cute little babies, that mix sounds like they'll turn out so pretty! :wub: About how many eggs do you think you have?

I think I have around 100 eggs. I didn't know how many she had left, so I only ran my finger down her a couple times.

I think people do it to control where the eggs go. I'm sure it's easier to have the eggs in the bowl than to have them spread all over the tank. And it would answer the "Who's your daddy?" issue, and it should make sure the eggs are evenly fertilized. I can't believe how many eggs did not get fertilized in my tank last week. You'd think that three big males chasing one female would result in most of them being fertilized, but I found many that weren't. The boys need to work on their skillz with the ladies. ;):rofl

Exactly. Also, I was hoping if I got rid of her eggs, the boys would leave her alone. They were being really rough with her.

Ooh, congrats! Hope they hatch for hatch for you! ;)

Were you nervous at all to hand-spawn?

Yes!!! But I was very gentle. I don't know if I want to do it again. My nerves were a little frayed by the end. lol

I think I have around 100 eggs. I didn't know how many she had left, so I only ran my finger down her a couple times.

That's much more that I ever got when mine spawned naturally- I think the largest batch may have only been thirty. Perhaps that's another reason for hand spawning? Or maybe my lady fish just wasn't feeling it then :P

It's always an issue, with men and their aim. :o :O :o

::rofl3

Its best To Have Both fish in the Container in witch you want the fry to hatch and Quickly squeeze the eggs out before the the Milt And swirl but don't push to much eggs a once because they won't fertilize you have to repeat the process a few times. Eggs milt not milt eggs If this makes any sense