Fix up a tank in one day?

Hey maybe the restaurant needs a mascot... Aka a fish! Personally, I think goldfish should be kept in pairs. If the tank is able to get more care at work, you could buy a friend for your fish. However, the tank would require more care that way. I also do want to point out that the fish I could see in there is pretty small considering how old it is.

Welcome back to the forum. I'm glad you came on to ask for help in what to do with your tank and Whirlwind. You've been given some great advice. You obviously care for Whirlwind or you wouldn't be seeking out help. Your parents care enough also because they don't want to rehome him. But the amount work to have a goldfish properly is going to take up more time then just once a week for half an hour. Whirlwind should be receiving at least a once a week 50 to 80% water change to keep his environment safe®. I would really consider gradually getting rid of your substrate/gravel and go bare bottom.

Is there an area/location for your tank/fish to stay at your parents restaurant? (rehome the tank and fish to restaurant)Perhaps your fish will enjoy the activity going on around him there instead of being home alone in an empty room. Perhaps this will be easier for everyone to care for the tank/Whirlwind. (parents/employee's) You might want to consider feeding Whirlwind a sinking pellet instead of flakes. A few good inexpensive choices are New Life Spectrum or Omega One.

I hope you are able to accomplish a lot on your day of working on Whirlwind's aquarium. :)

I don't have much to add since you're getting good suggestions here but I want to say, your fish is gorgeous! Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Aww, thank you. He used to be pretty normal looking, but he's turned pure white over the years. I don't know if that happened for a good reason, though...

Hey maybe the restaurant needs a mascot... Aka a fish! Personally, I think goldfish should be kept in pairs. If the tank is able to get more care at work, you could buy a friend for your fish. However, the tank would require more care that way. I also do want to point out that the fish I could see in there is pretty small considering how old it is.

I don't think there's any room in there for a fish tank of that size, but I'll also see what I can do about this, and discuss that option with them the next morning. They were pretty satisfied with the idea of having someone from the store come and clean it, though! I've always been under the impression that he was large, too, but it's definitely sad if he's been stunted in growth. I guess I wouldn't be all too surprised.

Whirlwind should be receiving at least a once a week 50 to 80% water change to keep his environment safe®. I would really consider gradually getting rid of your substrate/gravel and go bare bottom.

You might want to consider feeding Whirlwind a sinking pellet instead of flakes. A few good inexpensive choices are New Life Spectrum or Omega One.

I hope you are able to accomplish a lot on your day of working on Whirlwind's aquarium. :)

Yeah, you're definitely right there. For now, my mom seems willing to put that much work (thirty minutes was a grave underestimate on my part, yes...), and she's definitely going to consider getting help for it too, so hopefully that'll make a difference. The tank was just in such a bad shape that they kind of didn't know where to start, so hopefully me coming here has helped in that regard. I also definitely prefer pellets to flakes, and he was raised on pellets for quite a while, too. I think I'll buy some pellets online and send them over here to feed the lil' guy.

As far as the cleaning goes, well. My mother changed out the faucets a couple of years ago, which is one of the major reasons the fish tank hasn't been cleaned. The Python doesn't fit any of the nearby faucets! We were planning on digging out some old adapters/buying new ones to attach to the faucet, but Walmart didn't have what we needed! The hardware store is closed on Sunday's, so we're gonna' head out there tomorrow morning and hopefully find one. Then we can finally get started on that yucky gravel. But I took off the lids and cleaned them all thoroughly. They had who-knows-what growing on them, and it was really disgusting, but at least it visually looks a lot better. There isn't that feeling of 'There's no way I'm touching that...', That itself took me almost three hours, aha. Asides from that, I went ahead and attached the new filter early after topping up the tank with fresh water, and got that running, at the very least. My air diffused won't work in the tank, either, so I removed it. I figure it's better to get those big bubbles straight from the tubing rather than no bubbles at all, but I'll pick up some more air stones tomorrow, hopefully. I think just having that second filter will make a big change, and even though I wasn't able to do as much as I hoped, I'm pretty satisfied so far, and hope to find that adapter so I can do a last minute water change and gravel clean-up before I leave!

Oh! Almost forgot to mention. While I'd love to get him a partner if my parents can keep the water quality up and going, he can be a little aggressive, and has a habit of chasing after and pushing other fishes around in the past (hence why I think he's a male), sometimes to the point of fairly substantial injuries, so I don't know if I trust him with a new one!

Sounds like you've been busy. If you aren't able to do wc with your python there is the old method of buckets. I believe there are members here that use buckets for wc's. I know it's a lot more work and time for you but your fish will have clean water. Hopefully this will be the beginning of doing weekly water changes and to do proper maintenance on your filters. I think that will be great to get Whirlwind back onto sinking pellets.

The only maintenance your parents really have to do is a 50% water change once a week. Since you can't use a python, use a small pond pump to remove the water from the tank. I recommend this one. It's a very reliable pump and cheap. If you don't have a Harbor Freight near you, you can order it on line. Get tubing that fits on to one of the pump attachments long enough to go outdoors or to a drain. (The smallest fitting takes 1/2 inch hose and that's cheap.) I believe the medium size hose attachment will fit into a garden hose. You can also use a garden hose to refill the tank. Just add dechlorinater to the water in the tank before you refill. This will allow a 50% water change within a half hour.

We went to the store a couple of times today morning looking for the right faucet adapter and came short each time! It was disappointing, but I think my mother's going to try again later. If that doesn't pan out, though, the pump idea is a great one! Thanks a lot for sharing, Shakaho!

This was how the tank looked today morning, though, so I'd say it's a huge improvement! The parameters are mostly the same, but with any luck, he'll start getting the water changes he needs. Before I left, I put in a lot of new decorations/air stones and removed those black rods (they were part of an old divider, I think). I would have taken a picture of it if I didn't mess with the filter slightly, and make the whole tank really cloudy again! I'll get my mom to send me a picture of it once it clears up and post it here

It's definitely looking better! :clapping: I use the pump to fill/drain my tanks as well. When I used the python, it broke my sinks. :yikes (Not saying this will happen to everyone) I really like using the pump because a lot less water is wasted as well! ;)

Water Change Pump Tip

Edited by Mikey

Hey yeah it looks a lot better. When you said the parameters were mostly the same, does that mean the nitrate was still over 200? You really never want to see nitrates over 40 and under 20 is the goal. Keep up the good work. Regarding using the pump and buckets for water change.... Great idea. I think if your mom has a problem with carrying or lifting buckets she could prefill the sink, or sinks, with clean water and pump the water from them back into the tank. Keeping the water running while one side empties then switch back and forth while continually filling the sinks with the faucet.

The only maintenance your parents really have to do is a 50% water change once a week. Since you can't use a python, use a small pond pump to remove the water from the tank. I recommend this one. It's a very reliable pump and cheap. If you don't have a Harbor Freight near you, you can order it on line. Get tubing that fits on to one of the pump attachments long enough to go outdoors or to a drain. (The smallest fitting takes 1/2 inch hose and that's cheap.) I believe the medium size hose attachment will fit into a garden hose. You can also use a garden hose to refill the tank. Just add dechlorinater to the water in the tank before you refill. This will allow a 50% water change within a half hour.

If u use a garden hose make sure it doesn't have anti-mold coating on inside ..that stuff will kill ur fish. get a drinking water safe hose.

If u use a garden hose make sure it doesn't have anti-mold coating on inside ..that stuff will kill ur fish. get a drinking water safe hose.

Are you speaking from experience? I use regular garden hoses all the time. I used to run the water until whatever was in the hose had been expelled just in case something might leach from the hose, but don't bother with that any more. As a matter of fact, virtually everyone fills ponds with a hose, and I've never heard of a problem nor of anyone using drinking-water safe hoses.

I can imagine a problem with a new hose if one didn't empty the stored water before filling the tank. However, the probability of a significant amount of anything leaching from a hose when the water is passing rapidly through it seems very slim.

Are you speaking from experience? I use regular garden hoses all the time. I used to run the water until whatever was in the hose had been expelled just in case something might leach from the hose, but don't bother with that any more. As a matter of fact, virtually everyone fills ponds with a hose, and I've never heard of a problem nor of anyone using drinking-water safe hoses.

I can imagine a problem with a new hose if one didn't empty the stored water before filling the tank. However, the probability of a significant amount of anything leaching from a hose when the water is passing rapidly through it seems very slim.

I know a few people that this has happened to. Even though the chance is low, it is still there. Why risk it?..

Are you sure that was the real reason behind the deaths, goldsguy? I filled from an old garden hose all summer and had zero issues. Sharon has been doing that for years. I have spent my entire childhood drinking from garden hoses in the summer and am no worse for it.

Never heard of an anti mold coating in regular hoses but I know that you can get special fertilizer hoses if you are a law care company. If you were running fertilizer through a hose I could see why you would need extra precautions.