Jalapenos for goldfish?

Avepico

I have a bumper crop of a mild hybrid jalapeno and was wondering if it would make a good veggie for the goldies. I have enough that I could set aside plenty to give them treats for months.

In my opinion, I don't think it would be good to feed them anything that spicy. Think about it, if it can wreak havveck in a human stomach, think about what it could do to a goldfish's intestines.

Exactly! I can't even handle jalepenos...I assume it would do much harm to the delicate digestive system of a goldfish. There are plenty of other veggies you can feed that are completely safe- bell peppers are a safer alternative. I've seen people put it in gel foods.

Edited by Georgia

Per the spiciness, these are only as spicy as green peppers. A wonderful find I made a few years ago for those that love jalapeno flavor but not the heat. My buddy's 18 month (at the time) daughter snagged one and loved it.

I happen to love peppers of all types, myself, but it's not quite something that I see my fish enjoying. :idont

Then again, my fish have a preference for expensive aquarium plants, over things that I intentionally place in there to be eaten. :o

I happen to love peppers of all types, myself, but it's not quite something that I see my fish enjoying. :idont

Then again, my fish have a preference for expensive aquarium plants, over things that I intentionally place in there to be eaten. :o

I have that same issue, the only thing they won't destroy so far is java fern. And they do a number on that just double, triple, etc... checking it.

Capsaicin, the active ingredient, mainly affects mammals. Birds can't even taste it, but it is toxic to insects. The Mythbusters did a test of capsaicin as a shark repellent and the sharks didn't seem to notice. Still , better safe than sorry :)

Edited by schoolie

What is their rating on the scoville scale?

Perhaps you can pickle, preserve, bake and make flavoured oils with the deluge of jalapeños?

0 on the scoville. I have plenty of uses for it between my personal use and people that want some. I just wondered if I could store some home grown food for the fishes. Looks like a pretty unanimous "Don't try it" so there is more for the humans.

I know you can feed chilies and some jalape?os to birds. Not sure about fish : I would say that capsaicin only really affects mammals it wouldn't really hurt them, especially if they're very mild. Idk :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

• Supporter

I wouldn't risk it.. if you have an oversupply of jalapeños, I can't see how you would impact in stock reduction by mixing it in with fish food since our fish don't eat a great deal of food compared to we humans.. that is, if your purpose is to find ways to reduce the amount you have.

with so much variety of what we do know is healthy to feed the fish, why risk their health by feeding them something we are unsure of?

I am sure there would be lettuce left over whilst preparing any meal to feed them.. or steamed/boiled veggies.

I wouldn't risk it.. if you have an oversupply of jalapeños, I can't see how you would impact in stock reduction by mixing it in with fish food since our fish don't eat a great deal of food compared to we humans.. that is, if your purpose is to find ways to reduce the amount you have.

with so much variety of what we do know is healthy to feed the fish, why risk their health by feeding them something we are unsure of?

I am sure there would be lettuce left over whilst preparing any meal to feed them.. or steamed/boiled veggies.

I'm not overly concerned about using my peppers up, they will get used. I am just planning on prepping a bunch of veggies and freezing them in portion sized blocks. I eat so little veggies myself that if I just use fresh I either waste a lot of fresh veggies or the fish don't get enough.

By prepping and freezing portions, I find that I get them their veggies more often. Since i will have fresh peppers, I was wondering if this was one of the options. I am thinking peas ( i already have a couple months worth prepped), carrots, zuchini, maybe some squash. I like the thought of being able to give them something yummy and different with little prep involved at meal time. Healthy fast food for fishes.

Edited by Avepico

There's no particular reason not to that I can think of. Capsaicin, the chemical which tastes hot to humans and which leads to such digestive troubles, is calibrated to work only on mammals. It has no effect whatsoever on birds or reptiles, for example.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but honestly If you can feed green peppers jalapenos should be fine. As others have said capsaicin shouldn't affect the fish, and it shouldn't particularly matter given that you said they are not very spicy. I say do a test run, worst comes to worst they just don't like it.

• Admin

Well I know when I eat them it tastes good going down but man do I pay for it coming out... I wonder would the fish have the same effect.. you never know... but you know someone always has to be the first to try it out.... :) Just like the Gel food... Hummm

I agree with the posters who said try it. If no-one ever tried new things we would still be living in caves and chucking spears at our dinner. Start with very small pieces hahaha.