Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

So devastated-help!

Hi Guys,

I went to check on my oranda tank this morning and noticed that one of my filters was having trouble drawing water. I figured it was the impeller needing a cleaning. I left it for 15 minutes to make a coffee. When I went back, I realized someone was missing from the tank. I looked over at the filter and the bottom of the intake had fallen off. I immediately knew. I called my husband in to check…I just couldn't look. Sure enough, Glen the red cap came out of the upper part of the intake. I am so upset and typing through tears. His eyes are popping out (one moreso than the other), his mouth is sticking out like in a big pout and his fins are clamped down tight. I feel so terrible! Is there anything I can do? I'm not thinking so….

Oh no! I'm so sorry! :bighug

I'm so sorry. If he's alive, you could set up a hospital tank. Then there are things you could try. :(

Oh no! I am so very sorry to hear that! Hang in there, little fishy!

Do you have a hospital tank and extra filter or even just an airstone? If not, you could use a food-safe plastic bin too. If he's injured, he should be away from the other fish. They can be aggressive with injured fish.

This is physical trauma and not disease so he may make it through. Try slowing down the filter flow if it is possible, to allow him an easier time of swimming until he heals.

I will tell you this... I had large oranda get its mouth stuck to an open intake once after I knocked off the tube and forgot to reattach it. The fish's mouth was puckered out like you explained. It looked "ok" when I went to bed. When I woke up it had developed a massive infection. Its fins were shredding apart, it was swollen, and floating on the top upside down. I HAD to go to work. I used my lunch to buy meds, scale, etc, but by the time I got home, it was dead. She was my favorite fish. The point of the story is that things can happen fast so keep an eye on it as much as possible and be ready to put it down if quality of life is zero. Best of luck.

Edited by DieselPlower

As long as the others are not picking on him I would not move him. It would cause even more stress. Injuries can heal with lots of extra water changes. Keep us updated. Many of us have sucked up fish to have them recover with no problems.

I will tell you this... I had large oranda get its mouth stuck to an open intake once after I knocked off the tube and forgot to reattach it. The fish's mouth was puckered out like you explained. It looked "ok" when I went to bed. When I woke up it had developed a massive infection. Its fins were shredding apart, it was swollen, and floating on the top upside down. I HAD to go to work. I used my lunch to buy meds, scale, etc, but by the time I got home, it was dead. She was my favorite fish. The point of the story is that things can happen fast so keep an eye on it as much as possible and be ready to put it down if quality of life is zero. Best of luck.

Thanks, I certainly will.

This is physical trauma and not disease so he may make it through. Try slowing down the filter flow if it is possible, to allow him an easier time of swimming until he heals.

Filter slowed!

I'm so sorry. If he's alive, you could set up a hospital tank. Then there are things you could try. :(

I have a 25 gallon hospital tank that is unoccupied. Thank goodness. What else can I do?

Oh my gosh :(

I don't have any advice, other than to echo what others have said about preparing a hospital tank. Maybe get some salt on hand too (don't even know if you'd need that, I'm just trying to think of things that might be needed) but do not add any, or any type of medication, without the advice of a mod first.

Hang in there, glen, and you too! :hug

As long as the others are not picking on him I would not move him. It would cause even more stress. Injuries can heal with lots of extra water changes. Keep us updated. Many of us have sucked up fish to have them recover with no problems.

Thank you! You have given me hope:) My fingers and toes are crossed. Poor little thing. She got sucked right up to the top.

Okay, so I fed the tank to see if she would eat. She is on it like a dirty shirt, but doesn't seem to be able to get any with those lips:( What a day to have to make turkey dinner for 8...

Oh, and I did a 50% water change with Glen out of the tank and then put him back in. All suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated:)

:hi

I am going to move this to D&D. Please fill out the form and pics and/or a video would be very helpful. :D

Hang in there. :hug

This is why I suggest a hospital tank. Once the fish is in there, salt or meds can more easily be given.

25g is fine, although it's a bit big. You probably are looking at daily water changes, so if you can grab something smaller, it might be easier. It also means you can use less salt or meds, if they are needed.

If you cannot isolate the fish now, you also can float a colander in your tank and put the fish in it.

Oh my gosh :(

I don't have any advice, other than to echo what others have said about preparing a hospital tank. Maybe get some salt on hand too (don't even know if you'd need that, I'm just trying to think of things that might be needed) but do not add any, or any type of medication, without the advice of a mod first.

Hang in there, glen, and you too! :hug

I have plenty of salt. I have melafix and Pimafix. I have epsom. I am not going to do a thing yet.

That is terrible.

I hope your fish gets through it.

• Ammonia Level 0 tank

Nitrite Level 0 tank

Nitrate level 10ppm

Ammonia Level 0 tap

Nitrite Level 0 tap

Nitrate level 0

Ph Level, Tank 7.4 tank

Ph Level, Tap 7.4 tap

• Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

Water temperature? 68.5

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallon long (60" long, 17" tall, 14 inches deep)

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland 400 (2 running on tank) Tank has been running for 2 months, cycled

How often do you change the water and how much? Water changes twice per week, 60%

Edited by goldiegeek

This is why I suggest a hospital tank. Once the fish is in there, salt or meds can more easily be given.

25g is fine, although it's a bit big. You probably are looking at daily water changes, so if you can grab something smaller, it might be easier. It also means you can use less salt or meds, if they are needed.

If you cannot isolate the fish now, you also can float a colander in your tank and put the fish in it.

I do have a ten gallon that I can have ready by tomorrow, it needs to be cleaned...

So sorry this happened..

Hang in there and stay strong. :hug

Okay, so I fed the tank to see if she would eat. She is on it like a dirty shirt, but doesn't seem to be able to get any with those lips:( What a day to have to make turkey dinner for 8...

It always happens at the most inconvenient time. :hug

I hope he feels better.

i think a picture would be very helpful to the mods seeing as its physical injuries ?! good luck

• Sorry, just noticed this part:

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago, 60% (to day 50%)

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 x 3 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime only

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead daily, bloodworms once/week, peas three times/week, lima beans, green beans, cucumber, oranges, greens

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Glen has been salted (1 tbsp/5 gallons) in her old tank when supersaturated gases were present (to help gill function). This was for two weeks.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Missing scales from the filter, eyes bulged out, red streak (blood vessel) on tail fin, clamped fins

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She can't quite pick up the food (pellets), she just looks like she really doesn't feel well. Staying to herself.