Sign in to follow this  
Cyprinidae

What did I just buy? (petco "umbrella plant")

Hi guys! I just purchased a plant being sold as an "umbrella plant" at petco. However, (not at all unusually) what was in the package was not an umbrella plant. Can anyone halp me id this thing:

2pq0201.jpg

Hopefully it is aquatic and not a terrestrial plant, because I have been there as well :P

Thanks!

-Cyprinidae

Can you pull it out, and take closeups?

I have no idea the plants name but it sure is pretty! :) as is your fishy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, Flipper :)

I'll take a close up

Oh I have the same plant, been in the tank for a year now... Just cut off more than half of it today.

It gets huge. Grows out of the tank. (60cm hight )

Sorry cant remember the name.

Reat a sure it is aquatic.

Edited by katt

Are these any more useful?:

abthjk.jpg

10dxesz.jpg

wm08rn.jpg

Could it be an Amazon Sword?

Thanks for the replies!

60cm! D: I better get a pear of shears! Im happy with how it looks at least :)

lol yep same plant.

And now that you say it, I do belive it is in the Amazon famile.

Oh meant to say my tank is 60cm high, and was grown out of the tank.

Oh haha yeah that makes more sense!

That is a Peace Lily, as far as I know. It is not a true aquatic plant and will die under water. If you plant it in your HOB filter it will thrive and produce gorgeous flowers.

I was scammed by Petco, too, with this tube plant. It did well in my filter as well as planted in a fish bowl in my window with regular additions of old fish water.

Edited by ChelseaM

Oh no, is it really?!

I was honestly hoping you wouldn't say that!

Could it work for a tank that was only half-full? Maybe I could add it to my betta tank...

If that is indeed what it is (I'd wait for others to confirm.) then it would do wonderfully with just it's roots submerged. If you don't have a filter it can be housed in, then even getting a plastic shower caddy and suctioning it to the inside of the tank would look nice. :)

A picture of the roots would be helpful. Does it have a rhizome?

I dont belive its a Peace lily, as they have dark leafs and stand up when out of water. ( did it stand strate up, out of water ? )

Heres a link to the plant I think it is, or Close to it, as there`s alot of diffrent Amazon swords. And can be hard to see the diffrents at times.

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=076

I guessed that it was a sword as well :)

I would guess it's some sort of sword. It doesn't look quite like a peace lily to me but I'm not the best at plant IDing yet. :idont I have a peace lily growing out of my tank and it's doing really well so if it does end up being that you could still use it. I've never seen peace lilies with the tube plants but the two Petcos I go to sell them on the shelves with the roots wrapped up and I think they advertise them as submersible so that's just as bad.

It will be a lot easier to identify the plant once it grows some submerged leaves. That is, if it is a true aquatic plant. It definitely is not an umbrella plant :P

Looks like my sword when I bought it. It's leaves changes shape due to my lighting though. Ended up elongated with no visible stem. Grew nice.

Thanks you all! I really hope it isn't a peace lily! Fortunately, I have a potted peace lily as well, so I can compare them, but it is difficult to tell if they are the different plants or if the one in my tank is just a lot younger (it has lighter, thiner leaves, etc.). Here's a picture of the roots if that helps:

25oxurm.jpg

Thanks!

And when I took it out of the water it could stand up, can sword plants do that?

And when I took it out of the water it could stand up, can sword plants do that?

They can. Mine don't since there is virtually no stem and all leaf.

Definitely not a peace lilly. I have one in front of me at the moment and they look nothing alike—at least to me.

I'd second some type of Echinodorus. It reminds of both an amazon sword and Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius, but the leaves are somewhat different. It could just be an emersed leaf though. Let it grow and see what happens.

Worst comes to worst it dies. It's not the end of the world.