Goldfish fin length

ssaber

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, comments on my fantail hercules...

Something I've noticed is his fins, especially the back ones are no where near the quality/length of my other fish. Could that be due to his prior home at petsmart or? I feed them a mix of Hikari lionhead, salmon, frozen bloodworms and veggies. He eats healthy amounts no different than the other 3, and is only barely smaller (he was the last addition to the group), just as active and personable but his fins just aren't the same as the others :/

Does anyone have any input or similar issues with their fish?

Ps. I'll try to take a photo to show but Herk is the least photogenic of the 4.

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, comments on my fantail hercules...

Something I've noticed is his fins, especially the back ones are no where near the quality/length of my other fish. Could that be due to his prior home at petsmart or? I feed them a mix of Hikari lionhead, salmon, frozen bloodworms and veggies. He eats healthy amounts no different than the other 3, and is only barely smaller (he was the last addition to the group), just as active and personable but his fins just aren't the same as the others :/

Does anyone have any input or similar issues with their fish?

Ps. I'll try to take a photo to show but Herk is the least photogenic of the 4.

All I can think of is genetics. Genetics will play a big part in how long or the shape of the fins. Also, he is newer than the rest so he might still be ready for a growth spurt. But not all fish are going to be high quality long fins. :idont

Caudal fins come in all sorts of lengths, shapes, and sizes. Take for example the differences in finnage between commons, comets, the different types of fantails, the veiltail (which is a glorified fantail), and the butterfly tail. Within the fantail groups, there is also a huge variation within.

Ahh yes I was thinking its probably more genetics.. thanks for the input! I'd never heard of a veil tail, just googled it. So pretty! learn something new everyday aha

There is nothing wrong with short fins and does not indicate any issue with your fish. In fact I personally tend to prefer short-tailed fish over ones with lots of finnage (even though I somehow ended up with fish with a good amount of fin :P )

It mostly comes down to genetics. Some fish are bred to have shorter tails others longer. There's not much you can do to change that.

There is nothing wrong with short fins and does not indicate any issue with your fish. In fact I personally tend to prefer short-tailed fish over ones with lots of finnage (even though I somehow ended up with fish with a good amount of fin :P )

It mostly comes down to genetics. Some fish are bred to have shorter tails others longer. There's not much you can do to change that.

Oh good thanks! Yes I can see your fish in your signature, wow they are beautiful. Where did you get them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Oh good thanks! Yes I can see your fish in your signature, wow they are beautiful. Where did you get them??

thank you! Edie has ridiculous fins :P they both came from Rain Garden goldfish online.

thank you! Edie has ridiculous fins :P they both came from Rain Garden goldfish online.

Online?? How in the world did they ship them?

Just bag it, box it, and ship it! lol.

I still don't know how the fish survive the trip, but they do, so there must be something in the water!

yep :) rain garden, dandy's orandas, and east coast ranchu are three of the main online goldfish sellers. Rain garden and east coast ranchu are breeders, while dandy's orandas imports the fish they sell.

Each place is slightly different but basically the fish is not fed for a couple days prior to shipping (to reduce the amount of waste/ammonia in the shipping bag), they are then bagged up in water and placed in some sort of styrofoam insulated box labeled 'live fish'. Shipping is typically overnight or 2 day depending on the seller and/or your request. And then they arrive at your doorstep! :) You should check out those sellers. East coast ranchu (ECR) is the most affordable followed by rain garden (RG), then dandy's orandas (DO). RG and ECR have set prices for their fish and always have fish available while DO does an auction on the weekends typically and you can either bid on the fish or do a buy it now similar to ebay.

Does RG update there website with available fish stock anymore? Every time I check it seems like its the same goldfish that are available.

My understanding is that he was doing a lot of renovations, and he may still be. If you are interested in something, email him. :)

Does RG update there website with available fish stock anymore? Every time I check it seems like its the same goldfish that are available.

HIs last updates weren't to long ago (yesterday) of some Wakins, you can check on the What's New link on his website to check out the newly added fish and when they were added. You can also subscribe to his youtube channel to get videos of the newest fish.

He's had the same orandas up for awhile. He definitely doesn't do updates as often as he used to.... Which is a bit of a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for being off topic, but I just ordered my first online fish, and I got an email of instruction of how to acclimate the fish on arrival, and in the email, the shipper says that the fish are shipped in a breathing bag to allow air exchange. I've never heard of such a thing, or knew the existence of it, but yes, if you are still wondering how the fish can breath when shipped, there's breathing bag. :)

Sorry for being off topic, but I just ordered my first online fish, and I got an email of instruction of how to acclimate the fish on arrival, and in the email, the shipper says that the fish are shipped in a breathing bag to allow air exchange. I've never heard of such a thing, or knew the existence of it, but yes, if you are still wondering how the fish can breath when shipped, there's breathing bag. :)

not all shippers use breather bags though. A normal plastic bag can be filled with o2 and that is enough for the amount of time they are in the bag (just like they do at the pet store)