Sign in to follow this  
Georgia

How do you prepare Repashy?

So, today I finally received a free sample of Super Green from our wonderful sponsor, Tastyworms. Very exited to try it, I heated spring water to about 150 degrees in the microwave then added 3 teaspoons hot water to 1 teaspoon Repashy. When I stirred it, I noticed it was a bit thicker in consistency. I watched this video on preparing SG and I noticed it wasn't as watery when pouring into the mold.

Afterwards, I set the small bowl over the remaining hot water to sort of "heat" it for a few minutes. It's been in the fridge since 3:00 PM today. It's mushy in consistency, not really as hard as I see it in the video. If it doesn't set overnight, I think I'll just try again.

Did I do anything wrong? I don't think it's setting right.

So, my question is, how do YOU prepare Repashy? I know many members go about different ways at preparing it than what's on the label. Which is the most efficient and won't stink up the house? Can it be made in smaller increments, like teaspoons?

When I did prepare solient green, I did a 1 part powder to 3 parts water. My fish did not and still don't respond so well to it(after testing different ratios), so I'm looking forward to ways others prepare their repashy while avoiding negative effects :)

Edited by teleSC

As long as you are doing a 3w:1r ratio, you should be fine. You'll need to heat the water to boiling then thoroughly stir in the powder, then just let it set out. It should harden very quickly if you did it right.

Edited by ChelseaM

I add 2-3 teaspoons of SuperGreen to a plastic container. Then I had one tablespoon of boiling water for every teaspoon of SG. Next I mix it really well with a toothpick. It should set within 10-15 minutes into a firm consistency.

Edit: The SuperGreen is really a great food. My fish didn't do well on the Soilent Green, but seems very healthy with Super Green and no floatiness. I now mix 2:1 Super to Soilent and my older fish has been very healthy on this diet.

Edited by schoolie

Make sure the water is a rolling boil before letting it cool :)

I use the 3 parts water to 1 part repashy ratio. So that's 3 tbsp. water and 1 tbsp. repashy in a microwaveable bowl, stirred, then microwaved until boiling. At this point I have to continue to stir or else it will start clumping. I pour it into a separate container to set and it does so in just a few minutes :)

Okay, thanks everyone. I think I need to add more water next time with hotter water. I'll try heating it on the stove.

The one I made today isn't too bad, actually. It was still inert, I tried dropping some in a container of water and it stayed intact. The goldies didn't take to it at first. They kept spitting it out. I got really nervous because I understand this stuff is like candy to goldfish. After a while, I didn't see any pieces in the tank so I assume they ate it eventually. ;)

I personally add 1 tbsp of repashy and 3 tbsp of water into a small ramekin container. Stir it up, then microwave the whole thing for about 30 sec.

Okay, thanks everyone. I think I need to add more water next time with hotter water. I'll try heating it on the stove.

The one I made today isn't too bad, actually. It was still inert, I tried dropping some in a container of water and it stayed intact. The goldies didn't take to it at first. They kept spitting it out. I got really nervous because I understand this stuff is like candy to goldfish. After a while, I didn't see any pieces in the tank so I assume they ate it eventually. ;)

I forgot to add that I prefer boiling over microwaving. It saves my family from anosmia ;)

:rofl

Edited by teleSC

Measure out water, boil in microwave, add Repashy, stir, wait, refrigerate.

I mix 3 equal parts of Solient Green, Super Green and Meat Pie.. household favourite combination where it concerns the finned community. and I add 1 x medium clove of garlic and one capsule of probiotics to every batch.

I leave 2-3 days of food out in the fridge & freeze the rest in finger length sized, sliced pieces.

Helen, for probiotics, are you using people grade from a vitamin store?

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX now Free

I make all mine by the directions. Some fish love it some won't touch it. Some took time to even figure out it is food. lol

Edited by Hidr

I measure out the Repashy in a bowl, boil the appropriate amount of water on the stove, slowly pour the water on top of the Repashy, and then let it set. After it sets I portion out about a week's worth to go in the fridge and put the rest in a baggie to preserve in the freezer.

i did my first Repashy gel yesterday. WOW that thing stick up my whole place!!!

Are you preparing it in the microwave? I think that's the stinkiest method. :rofl

I redid a new batch yesterday by boiling spring water to a rolling boil, and adding about a tablespoon and a teaspoon of water to one teaspoon Repashy powder. A quick stir, and it set within 2-3 mins. When it got to room temperature I put it in the fridge. Viola! Barely any stink. ;) Maybe it didn't stink because I made it in such a small amount, my fish are tiny.

I think I finally mastered it- but my fish don't really like it too much. They eat it eventually, but they keep spitting it out at first.

Edited by Georgia

Are you preparing it in the microwave? I think that's the stinkiest method. :rofl

I redid a new batch yesterday by boiling spring water to a rolling boil, and adding about a tablespoon and a teaspoon of water to one teaspoon Repashy powder. A quick stir, and it set within 2-3 mins. When it got to room temperature I put it in the fridge. Viola! Barely any stink. ;) Maybe it didn't stink because I made it in such a small amount, my fish are tiny.

I think I finally mastered it- but my fish don't really like it too much. They eat it eventually, but they keep spitting it out at first.

Yes i did haha. and i made a whole bag of it with no window open! imagine the smell.

I just ordered some Super Green from Tasty Worms so I'm glad someone asked about preparation. I've been wanting to order some to see how it goes.

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX now Free

When I was researching Repashy before I started feeding it, I came across quite a few reviews from people who said their fish initially reacted like this - eating it, spitting it out, eating it again etc. Perhaps they are not used to the texture? Anyway, it's such a high quality food, it's worth giving a chance to see if they get used to it!

Edited by Linzi Glitter

I just placed an order for some tonight. I can't wait to try it. My current "greens" food, which is a frozen type really messes up my water. I'm hoping this won't and will become a suitable highly nutritious replacement.

When I was researching Repashy before I started feeding it, I came across quite a few reviews from people who said their fish initially reacted like this - eating it, spitting it out, eating it again etc. Perhaps they are not used to the texture? Anyway, it's such a high quality food, it's worth giving a chance to see if they get used to it!

Oh, okay. It makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one. The closest thing they've eaten to Repashy are peas and they go nuts for them. I really hope they eat it eventually because it's very healthy for them. I definitely won't give up! ;)

I just placed an order for some tonight. I can't wait to try it. My current "greens" food, which is a frozen type really messes up my water. I'm hoping this won't and will become a suitable highly nutritious replacement.

It actually stays pretty intact! I did a little "test" before I fed it for the first time by dropping it in a separate container of water. I stayed pretty inert. Even after soaking for a minute or so it didn't cloud up the water. I was very impressed!

I have gone as long as 3 months. Generally though I made it as I needed it so it didn't get melty when thawing. The green juice that comes off is gross.

-from my phone.

I have found it helps when thawing it it helps to lay it out on a piece of paper towel & dab it dry. Then I place a weeks worth in a little tupperware cup in the frig.

I do the boil and add powder method (preferably outside on the BBQ), but I put it in a more narrow and tall container. It takes longer to set, but when it does it makes a good brick to grate. That gives smaller pieces for the kids to chase around and is easier for the littler ones. Try freezing it in size ice cube trays (experiment with size until you get what you want), making it easier to get equal portions when you thaw it. I do the same trick with veggies now with tank water added to make it a block. I then let it thaw in a shot glass with a little more tank water to make it thaw quicker.