Sign in to follow this  
Kat_M

Very sick Fifi - I think she is dying

I have just found my Fifi at the bottom of the tank - she is not really responding, just barely breathing. She has slightly raised scales. She has had dropsy is August and was treated with Metro; Metro-meds and Espom. She is in a QT. How to help her?

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api
      • * Water temperature? between 22-24 degrees (depending on the weather) 150 l
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 1 year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2x EF 1000 (All pond sloutions external filters)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? daily 20%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?yesterday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?4 - 1 adult 3 juveniles
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day - morning (varried diet: repashy/progold, blood worms/spirulina tabs), evening - veggies
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?No
  • * Any medications added to the tank?No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. October last year : 2 rounds of Maracyn 2; August this year: dropsy; treated with MM, Metronidazole and Epsom for 14 days
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Another fish, Chloe is sick too - tiny pimple like but flat spot close to gills, one eye slightly bigger (separate thread)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? floating, frequent bottom sitting

Hi Kat,

I'm sorry Fifi is not well again. Is she bloated? Is she eating? Is there any reason to suspect that spawning plays a role in this?

If she is eating, then she will need Metro-Meds again, ASAP. Depending on what we see from pics that hopefully you can supply soon, Epsom may also be good.

What I do know is that unfortunately dropsy will recur. It may be a year or more, or it could be days and weeks. :(

I think it will be important to check on your kH and gH. Especially for fish who have had dropsy, I think it's important that kH is at least 100ppm and gH at least 150.

Alex; I think she is critical. She is swaying with the current - there are moments she is not moving her gills, then move them again and elongates her mouth. I don't think she would eat MM - I fear she would choke on them if I try.

That is as I feared. :(

For now, the only thing that can be done is to minimize the currents etc. She doesn't need a filter, and an airstone will do. Do you have metronidazole powder? You can add that to the tank at 400mg/10 gallons.

After that, all we can do is wait and hope. :(

Yes, I have metronidazole; I shall add it to QT tight away.

Yes, I have metronidazole; I shall add it to QT tight away.

Fins crossed! Hang in there.

Please update us when you see fit.

Thank you!

So Sorry to hear your fish is unwell :( I hope she can rally for you once again :) I will leave the rest to you and Alex to work out :) keeping you both in my thoughts :)

Just wanted to add my hopes for Fifi's recovery!! If there's a way to get it done Alex will find it!

I hope she pulls through. Don't give up! :hug

thinking about you and Fifi :hug I hope she pulls through.

I hope Fifi feels better soon!

Come on Fifi you can do it! :heart

How is Fifi doing, Kat?

Wow, guys, thank you so much for all the "Get Well" wishes :)

Fifi made through the night. She is still very weak but she seems to be more alert than yesterday - she not only acknowledged my presence by following my movements with her eyes but she also tried to wriggle to get close to the glass :heart Yesterday she spent the entire day in one spot, not moving at all, barely breathing. She was indifferent to what was going on around her. But over the night she also managed to wiggle herself close to her beloved plant :)

Yay! I bet next thing you know she will be her old self again! I hope she gets better soon!

Fins crossed :)

Aw, poor Fifi....I hope she gets better soon!

Kat, when Fifi is interested in food and able to eat, let's start giving her Metro-Meds, OK?

Only just seen this Kat- sending lots of healing thoughts to poor little Fifi. Fins crossed for her x

Aww. I am so sorry she is not doing well at this time. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. :hug

Only just seen this Kat- sending lots of healing thoughts to poor little Fifi. Fins crossed for her x

Thank you Charlie! I hope Googs is doing alright x

Aww. I am so sorry she is not doing well at this time. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. :hug

Thank you so much :) I am happy to report that she has a little bit more of energy today :)

Kat, when Fifi is interested in food and able to eat, let's start giving her Metro-Meds, OK?

She still does not have much of appetite, Alex. I have only managed to get 2,5 pellets into her. She seems to be tiny bit better today so hopefully her appetite gets better too!