Sign in to follow this  
hanwinting

Do i vacuum fish poops during Water change?

Hello everyone,

After almost a month and cycling and reading so many articles about raising goldfish, i have bought myself three fancy goldfish. It has been almost a week since i got them and they are all doing well. I have an Oranda, Pearlscale and lionhead. They are so ###### cute! I want them to have the best home possible.

All 3 of them are in High tech planted tank. After one week, my water parameter are still looking good

Ammo - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate- dropped down to 0 from 5 ppm ( plants could be absorbing the nitrates)

I will be doing my first WC tomorrow! So here is my question :

1.I have lots of fish poops on the gravel. Do i vacuum them all out or leave it be for the plants to use it up?

correct me if i am wrong, the fish poops can serve as fertilizer for plants ?

2. Do goldfish like high current?

3. How much light is too much for goldfish? i have 2 x Finney Ray 2 LED lights

Here is my setup

75 Gallons

Aquatop CF500 UV canister filter

Pressurized CO2 setup ( aquatek)

Tetra Whisper Air pump

2 x Finney Ray 2 LED ligths

tahq.jpg
0z8w.jpg
n5zp.jpg
mv9z.jpg
6fl1.jpg
0xhl.jpg
l7ae.jpg
3rla.jpg
igjw.jpg
a5ir.jpg
Edited by hanwinting

congratulations on you new cycle, new fish & excellent display :)

3 fish should be enough to be fertilizing your plants daily.. once a week gravel vacuum will not harm their fertilization process.

you will need to vacuum the poop from the surface of the gravel. depending on your water changer, a manual water changer has maximum suction power when the tank is full, so I recommend you begin by vacuuming the gravel. if you have a python or alternative brand water changer that hooks up to a sink, then you can vacuum the surface of the gravel at any time during the water change.

please ensure that you are changing at least 60% of water with each water change. and now, since you have fish in there, be sure to always use your dechlorinator with each water change.

congratulations & good luck.

Wow. Your tank and fish are beautiful!! Congrats!

Many of us here change 80% or even more water each week. Just please test the pH in both your tap and tank to make sure that they are the same range. :)

And as Helen said, don't forget your dechlorinator :o

Can't wait to see more of these fish! ;)

Yes. Vacuum the poop please

congratulations on you new cycle, new fish & excellent display :)

3 fish should be enough to be fertilizing your plants daily.. once a week gravel vacuum will not harm their fertilization process.

you will need to vacuum the poop from the surface of the gravel. depending on your water changer, a manual water changer has maximum suction power when the tank is full, so I recommend you begin by vacuuming the gravel. if you have a python or alternative brand water changer that hooks up to a sink, then you can vacuum the surface of the gravel at any time during the water change.

please ensure that you are changing at least 60% of water with each water change. and now, since you have fish in there, be sure to always use your dechlorinator with each water change.

congratulations & good luck.

I am using Python vacuum. I will try to suck up the surface of substrate and try to clean up as much as i can.

Wow. Your tank and fish are beautiful!! Congrats!

Many of us here change 80% or even more water each week. Just please test the pH in both your tap and tank to make sure that they are the same range. :)

And as Helen said, don't forget your dechlorinator :o

Can't wait to see more of these fish! ;)

Thanks all! i will do over 50% WC tomorrow. I am using Seachem Prime. I will make sure i use that or my bacteria will be toasted.

Edited by hanwinting

oooh someone else with a 'high tech' goldfish tank!! :clapping:

Your tank is very pretty :)

I will just reiterate what others have said, you should vacuum up the poops that you see, but you can skim the surface and get the obvious mulm. Plants will use it as fertilizer, but there is no need to leave pieces that you can see. You will have more than enough ferts for your plants between the fish and whatever fert dosing regimen you are following (and I assume you are using some sort of root tabs with the eco complete as well).

I will just reiterate what others have said, you should vacuum up the poops that you see, but you can skim the surface and get the obvious mulm. Plants will use it as fertilizer, but there is no need to leave pieces that you can see. You will have more than enough ferts for your plants between the fish and whatever fert dosing regimen you are following (and I assume you are using some sort of root tabs with the eco complete as well).

Thanks i will do that. My fish has not have a taste for my plants yet. Hopefully it stays that way! lol

Thanks i will do that. My fish has not have a taste for my plants yet. Hopefully it stays that way! lol

mine haven't either ;) some of us get lucky :P

Hello, I just wanted to tell you that your aquarium and goldfish are beautiful! Great job. :) What are kind of plants are those floating ones?

Hello, I just wanted to tell you that your aquarium and goldfish are beautiful! Great job. :) What are kind of plants are those floating ones?

Thank you :)

the floating plants are water lettuce. They are very easy to grow.

I love it. Best of luck. You should consider entering some photos of your fish and tank in one of the contests on here. :)

I love it. Best of luck. You should consider entering some photos of your fish and tank in one of the contests on here. :)

I am going to need all your help down the line if my goldfish get sick ( i am praying they won't!).

awesome tank, and the Fish look like there loven it.

Gorgeous tank! :)

awesome tank, and the Fish look like there loven it.

Gorgeous tank! :)

Beautiful tank! :thud: It's stunning! :thumbs:

Very nice tank and plants!

thanks all!

Beautiful tank!!!

Looks like a slice of nature.......Attractive

Beautiful photography on your tank and fish.

Your tank is absolutely gorgeous. And you have adorable beautiful fish also.

You had something along the line of,. how you will need help if your fish get sick. One of the best things, if not the best thing you can do for your fish is to keep up on your water changes. It is recommended to do at least a once a week 50 to 80% water change. I personally like to do 80% or more every five days. A lot of other members do them every 5 days or even twice a week.

Beautiful photography on your tank and fish.

Your tank is absolutely gorgeous. And you have adorable beautiful fish also.

You had something along the line of,. how you will need help if your fish get sick. One of the best things, if not the best thing you can do for your fish is to keep up on your water changes. It is recommended to do at least a once a week 50 to 80% water change. I personally like to do 80% or more every five days. A lot of other members do them every 5 days or even twice a week.

Thank you for your advice. i will keep that in mind :) i did my first 50% WC last friday.

Congratulations on your very first big water change. :)

you know, I just realized we failed to answer all of your questions! :D

goldfish really don't mind current for the most part. A healthy goldfish should have no problem dealing with the amount of current created by a normal filtration system. A fish being pushed around by the current or getting stuck to the intake signifies that there may be a larger health issue going on.

In terms of lighting, the finnex ray 2 puts out a par of 50 at 24 inches mid tank, with the fixture on the legs you are probably close to 24 inches above substrate, maybe a little less. A par of 50 or above is considered high light. There may be some overlap of your fixtures in the middle of the tank, so you may be getting a par of 100 mid tank and likely closer to 40-50 toward the front and back. You have pressurized co2 which you would need with this sort of setup, as long as you are also doing some form of fert dosing as well (EI dosing or PPS pro), you should be good to go :)

you know, I just realized we failed to answer all of your questions! :D goldfish really don't mind current for the most part. A healthy goldfish should have no problem dealing with the amount of current created by a normal filtration system. A fish being pushed around by the current or getting stuck to the intake signifies that there may be a larger health issue going on. In terms of lighting, the finnex ray 2 puts out a par of 50 at 24 inches mid tank, with the fixture on the legs you are probably close to 24 inches above substrate, maybe a little less. A par of 50 or above is considered high light. There may be some overlap of your fixtures in the middle of the tank, so you may be getting a par of 100 mid tank and likely closer to 40-50 toward the front and back. You have pressurized co2 which you would need with this sort of setup, as long as you are also doing some form of fert dosing as well (EI dosing or PPS pro), you should be good to go :)

thanks for the reply. my current from spray bar was so strong, they will only stay on left side of tank. ince i kill the current they will start exploring again.

Beautiful tank and your fish are adorable! :)