Pearlscale has dropsy, not eating, help!

fishtankbabe

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0.00 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0.00 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 10 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 1.00 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0.00 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.2
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 77 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 135 gallons, running just under a year
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX5, AquaClear 500
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday 10/6, 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish, 3 medium-sized, 3 large
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent Green, once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi, one dose on Sunday. Salt at 0.1%
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. see above
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Looks bloated, some red dots on the stomach area
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? see below

He was fine this morning. I fed them, he ate some Soilent Green, everything seemed normal. When I got home from work, he was just hanging out in the top corner for a long time, which he never does. So I coaxed him out with the net and realized he was not looking good at all. I just tried to feed him some MMs and he won't eat, just spits them out. I'm extremely worried. :(

Could you gets some pictures? I always feel more comfortable suggesting treatment if I can actually get a look at the fish. I'm pretty familiar with pearlies and nearly every thing that can possibly go wrong with them :rofl so I'd love to help in any way I can. A sick fish is always distressing, hand in there!

IMG_6599_zpsf3af42e5.jpg

IMG_6608_zpsb0fb8652.jpg

Hope these are clear enough, they were the best I could do. You can see the little dots of red in the bottom pic. I've got a 10 gal QT tank set up with a heater and an airstone. I'm setting the temp to 80. I have Epsom but I don't know how to use it.

The Epsom should be 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons.

Do you have metronidazole powder? Other than not eating and the red dots, do you see any sort of blisters forming? Why do you think it's dropsy?

Hang in there!

Unfortunately I do not have Metronidazole powder, and I'm guessing that's not something I can pick up at Petsmart. :( I do not see anything that looks like blisters. He is completely listless, and is having very thing stringy white poop. I suspect dropsy because he just seems bloated to me. Even though it's really hard to tell on a pearlscale, that's just the feeling I get looking at him.

Should I go ahead and do the Epsom?

It may be that he is bloated, and I defer to your evaluation of this, since you observe him/her daily and should be able to spot changes. Because of that, Epsom is appropriate.

I would like to go further with a metro based waterborne treatment. I do think that I see patches of red as well, and I would like for you to verify that for me please. Since the fish is not eating, I am think that we would proceed with Kanaplex/kanamycin + metro in the water. The kana should be removed after 6-10 days, while metro should stay in for 14 days minimum.

Would you call around tomorrow to see if anyone has these? In the mean time (not necessarily tonight), just go ahead with Epsom and catalogue all symptoms and visible affected areas.

There is definitely some redness, and little pinpricks of what looks like blood. The ones you can see on his side in the picture (it's on both sides), and also near his vent and anal fins. I will do my best to find those meds tomorrow. Thanks Alex. :)

There is definitely some redness, and little pinpricks of what looks like blood. The ones you can see on his side in the picture (it's on both sides), and also near his vent and anal fins. I will do my best to find those meds tomorrow. Thanks Alex. :)

That's what I was thinking, and if you can get some close ups of those pinpricks, that will be very helpful. The reason is that is could be ichthyobodo/costia, or another type of hemorrhagic infection (bacteria most likely). Metronidazole will deal with the costia, but I would like to see if we really need the kanamycin. I suspect we do, though.

He is definitely pineconed imo. you can see this on the peduncle (form the top view) and on the lower abdomen(from the side view). Even though the pearls make the surface of the skin bumpy there should be that slight lift to the scales that I'm seeing. I've circled the areas where it's most obvious:

IMG_6599_zpsf3af42e5.jpg

IMG_6608_zpsb0fb8652.jpg

I see it, MK. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

It's very interesting, because this could be a hopeful sign that those blisters have not formed.

Metronidazole has always been part of the plan, since I always hedge my bets. I am just still trying to decide if the kana is necessary.

I see it, MK. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

It's very interesting, because this could be a hopeful sign that those blisters have not formed.

Metronidazole has always been part of the plan, since I always hedge my bets. I am just still trying to decide if the kana is necessary.

I would probably take it easy and try metro first and have the kana on hand as a backup. The not eating concerns me because it would be easiest to medicate orally. Have you tried soaking the food in garlic? Also is this guy a confirmed male? This time of the year and so suddenly makes me think egg problems but I have difficulty sexing pearlscales because their vents always lie.

• Supporter

hun, sorry this is happening. just to gain a clearer understanding, is the section below that I circled, what you referred to as the 'redness'? not so much the blood pin pricks, but the bruised looking spot below.

if it is, have you noticed this before? do you have recent pictures of your pearlie prior to today that you can refer back to or even share with us so that we can all compare?

dropsypearlie_zpsc5db7030.jpg

She didn't make it through the night. :(

Pearlscaleperfect - I believe it was a female, the tops of the pectorals were thin and I never saw any breeding stars. My best guess is that it was a girl.

Helen - That red area you are referring to has been there since before I got her. It seemed more red yesterday than usual.

These four pics are from the first day I got her (this was one of my DO fish):

IMG_6149_zps0d30441f.jpg

IMG_6169_zps54636a5d.jpg

IMG_6210_zps64878f2d.jpg

IMG_6215_zpsfc3b9390.jpg

That pink/red patch has been there the whole time. Here's the link to the DO auction, you can see it there too. Since the fish had it the whole time, I thought it was just part of her natural coloring and nothing I needed to worry about:

http://www.dandyorandas.com/auctions/uncategorized/redwhite-crown-pearlscale-12/

These two pics are from Monday 10/7:

IMG_6558_zps1b43095d.jpg

IMG_6597_zps5c4d4ea8.jpg

Maybe it was an egg issue. I'm just really shocked and sad that this happened so quickly. I thought she was fine 24 hours ago. :( All three of my DO fish have had major problems. /sigh