Louse on QT oranda

Cappeh

Hey everyone! I recently purchased a new oranda that had just been shipped in at work, and once I got him home into QT I realized that he seems to have a single louse attached to his tail. I've dealt with the saltwater version of these guys at work before, but not the freshwater ones. Right now I do have the fish in .1% salt and prazi as the standard quarantine procedure, but I know I need to get the louse off of the poor little guy.

I only see one on him now... if I pick it off with tweezers or something similar, should I follow up just by upping the salt level in the tank, or should I also go out and pick up some sort of medication? I did read the Koko's article on them but I'm not 100% sure since each post I've read through the search feature seems to give slightly different information.

Thanks for the help! c:

Since there is only one, I would just pick it off and that's it. Be on the look out for more.

I would at some point up the salt to 0.3% for two weeks, because that concentration is more effective for antiparasite effects. :)

Excellent, that's what I was hoping. I'll pick it off and then once this round of prazi is done do a big water change and up the salt rate slowly. c: Thanks dnalex!

My only complaint about my LFS is that they get fish in that have a louse or two on occasion, and the poor employees have to take each fish out and pluck them off (I know as one of my friends works there). They are by far the grossest things next to anchor worms but as long as you catch them in QT it doesn't seem to be a hard problem to fix.

My only complaint about my LFS is that they get fish in that have a louse or two on occasion, and the poor employees have to take each fish out and pluck them off (I know as one of my friends works there). They are by far the grossest things next to anchor worms but as long as you catch them in QT it doesn't seem to be a hard problem to fix.

That's me :P I hate it when our distributors send fish like that! It's just common sense to look at the fish and make sure it's healthy as well as the systems are in check... It annoys me to death!

• Supporter

you should see when I am impatient to wait for my supplier to do it to his shipments that arrive from Japan and China.. it's like, I have a receiving tank, then I have a 'I think I got them all' tank.. then I have the actual QT tank..

it's fun, in a weird sort of a way :blink:

That's me :P I hate it when our distributors send fish like that! It's just common sense to look at the fish and make sure it's healthy as well as the systems are in check... It annoys me to death!

Totally agree! It's annoying. I wish there was a better way to do it. But I always get stuck doing it :P That's what happens when you manage a fish department :[

Good luck with your new oranda! Pictures ASAP!!! :]

you should see when I am impatient to wait for my supplier to do it to his shipments that arrive from Japan and China.. it's like, I have a receiving tank, then I have a 'I think I got them all' tank.. then I have the actual QT tank..

it's fun, in a weird sort of a way :blink:

I was so pissed. The owners of the store are terrible at seeing diseases even with magnifiers. Well get a load of this.... The one owner took in someone's pond fish, and they had anchor worms...... Guess who was treating the system (well my co worker and I agreed on treatment and she out the meds in lol) but I was the one pulling anchor worms off of the feeders and pond fish but for but for some reason not the fancies for 2 weeks.... I was NOT happy. It's all good now though. Edited by Mikey

We've had a few anchor worms lately, I'm not sure what shipment brought them in but they're a major pain.

I need to visit you at your LFS one day :). What days do you work? Also, what's the name if it and location, I forget. :peeka I think you said clemington?

Lots of salt stuff and corals, some odd freshwater stuff, for goldies its completely random what my manager orders. We typically get in ryukin, oranda, telescopes, etc. In the fall he orders some lionheads and pearlscales (I bought my pearlie Ushi here last year before I worked here) but the quality of the fish we get in is really variable which is what sucks. Sometimes we get in gorgeous fish and others seem like a shipment of culls.