• * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 1.00 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0.00 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.2
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 78 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 135 gallons, running just under a year
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX5, AquaClear 500
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 10/6, 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish, 3 medium-sized, 3 large
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent Green, once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi, one dose yesterday. Salt at 0.1%
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. see above
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streaks at the base of all the fins.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - he seems a little down. I think he may be trying to bottom-sit but the current in the tank is pretty strong.

This is kind of an ongoing issue I'm having with this fish. This is one of my DO fish that I got about 2 months ago. When I had him in QT, I noticed one morning that the areas around his fins were bloody. I started him on Metro Meds, and it cleared up overnight. I kept him on MMs for 2 weeks. Since then, I've noticed a random bloody spot here and there, but it's always gone again the next day. But this is the worst I've seen it. I did a dose of Prazi yesterday because all the fish have been yawning a bit, and most of them were due for a treatment anyway. Here's a video of him:

Are his fin joints normally so red? or is that part of his coloring? What looks particularly concerning to me is the red around the fin joints and around the body as that leads me to think something bacterial is at play here. If the MM aren't doing their job you may need something stronger. Of course I am not a mod so it is best to listen to them! I've just had my fair share of ill fish, I hope this guy gets well soon :)

Are his fin joints normally so red? or is that part of his coloring? What looks particularly concerning to me is the red around the fin joints and around the body as that leads me to think something bacterial is at play here. If the MM aren't doing their job you may need something stronger. Of course I am not a mod so it is best to listen to them! I've just had my fair share of ill fish, I hope this guy gets well soon :)

MK,

At least according to Johnson and Hess, the redness at the fin joints (pecs) are considered to be a very reliable sign of flukes.

If you are getting recurrent bloody streaks in the fins, it may be septicemia that hasn't quite gone away, IF you've eliminated that possibility of water quality. In that case, as MK suggested, MMs are not quite the thing to use, but MGs. In my experience MMs are not as effective in these situations.

I am aware that just red joints typically means flukes but it looks like it's creeping in other areas of the body which would make me think it is not flukes (or flukes are not the sole cause anyway). But again I'm having trouble making out what is markings in the video and what is veining.

I am aware that just red joints typically means flukes but it looks like it's creeping in other areas of the body which would make me think it is not flukes (or flukes are not the sole cause anyway). But again I'm having trouble making out what is markings in the video and what is veining.

Given the recurrent bloody streaks in the fins, it's probably not just one thing. It might be appropriate here to do MG/prazi to deal with the possible issues.

The redness at the base of the fins is definitely not part of his coloring/markings. Except for the very top of his head (on the wen), all of that deep red is not normal. His normal coloration is the orange you see on his back. Could this be a reaction to the Prazi? He didn't look like this the day before. I added 1 dose of Prazi to the tank, and the next day is when this happened.

Alex - Right now I have the salt at 0.1%. I didn't raise it yesterday because I was afraid to do anything to the tank until I posted on here. Should I do another dose of Prazi and raise the salt to 0.3%? And what Prazi schedule should I be following? Recently you had recommended doing 1 round, waiting 4 weeks, then doing another round. I have Medi-Gold so I can start him on that.

Let's do Medi-Gold and prazi, and no salt.

Medi-Gold should really be only 10 days in duration, unless there is a demonstrated need to let it go longer.

Good luck, and keep us updated, please. :)