Starting aquarium cycle

joel08

Hi can I use pure goldfish flake food to start my aquarium cycle instead of using costly Cycle chemicals.

I read that by putting pure flake food into the tank and waiting a few weeks for ammonia and nitrite to show up I can start the cycle. Please can someone advise.

Aquarium flakes and Cycle are sources of two different things. Aquarium flakes would be a source of ammonia while Cycle is supposedly a source of beneficial bacteria to help you cycle more quickly.

In generall, using pure non sudsing ammonia is an easier way to add ammonia to your tank (it can be a bit tricky to find for some people) and products such as Cycle get mixed reviews. Some people think they really help, others think they are hit or miss, yet others don't think they help at all.

But you can certainly cycle without purchasing products such as Cycle. :D

In Australia we have a product called Stability, made my Seachem. I'm assuming its supposed to do the same thing as Cycle. It says on the bottle that it stops new tank syndrome and is supposed to add beneficial bacteria. I completely disagree. I've gone through a 500ml bottle and my tank still isn't cycled.

Next time, I'll be trying the fish flakes!!!

I'd recommend not using fish food to cycle a tank. Ammonia is not the only thing the flakes produce when they break down, and the other stuff rotting food creates are not things you want in your aquarium. Using pure ammonia is more sterile and safe.

where can i get pure ammonia from? I do have another tank running for 6 months plus. Can I take something from that tank and put it into the new one.

Take a filter pad from your previous tank and use it seed your new tank. Use ammonia or fish food to feed your tank if this is a fish less tank. Read your parameters daily and change your water as needed.

Sorry I only have one filter pad which I need to use in that same tank. Can I use the fish food method and do a fishless cycle.

Or could I put the new filter in the old tank and run two filters so that they both turn out the same water and grow bacteria?

You could run 2 filters but what about the other tank you'd be taking the filter off from?

You can also do the fish food method but it's messier and probably more difficult to get the ammonia level where you want it . . .