How to Apply an OceanVisions Aquarium Background

I've been singing the praises of OceanVisions Aquarium Backgrounds for years now. They are self-adhesive, easy to apply and remove, and stay on for years and years without the annoying bubbles and/or water getting between the tank and the background. I recently applied one to a new tank. This is how it's done. :D

Step 1: Gather all necessary equipment--the background, mild soap (such as dishwashing soap), a washcloth, a utility knife, and a credit card/store membership card (to use to get the bubbles out between the tank and background).
pajyhysa.jpg

Step 2: Clean the outside of the aquarium. Wet the entire area of the aquarium with soapy water.
eqe3e2yp.jpg

Step 3: Remove the backing from the OceanVisions background. Wet the adhesive with soapy water.
ny3upy2y.jpg

equ3urab.jpg[

Step 4: Apply the background to the aquarium. Because both surfaces are wet and soapy, you will be able to position it easily. I have found that if the background is taller than the back of the tank, it is better to align the bottom of the background with the aquarium trim and cut the top of the background off. This way, if the cut isn't exactly straight, it will likely be covered by a filter or some other equipment. Uneven cuts at the bottom of the tank are more obvious than uneven cuts at the top of the tank.

za4y9ate.jpg

Step 5: Using the plastic credit card or membership card, squeegy out any air bubbles. Start in the middle and work towards the edges.
9udyna5u.jpg

Step 6: Trim the edges with a utility knife/blade.

jeburevy.jpg

za4y9ate.jpg

Note: the white at the bottom of the background is bubbles, not light showing through. The bubble will disappear when they dry.

Step 7: Clean up. :rofl

atemares.jpg

The entire process took my husband and I 12 minutes. :Jig:

Another great advantage to the OceanVisions Aquarium background is that they are very easily removed. I switched a blue background to black. The blue background peeled off in one piece and left no residue!

great tutorial Lisa! what does the background feel like? Is it like a trash bag texture?? It looks thinner and more latexy than a typical background. If I decide to put a background on my tank I may have to try this out!

that does look easy ;) want to come do mine ;) lol

I agree with tithra the look of the texture of your background looks different than the backgrounds you usually find in lps,mine is kind of stiff, and rips/creases easily, I currently have water spots all between my tank and my background :(

that does look easy ;) want to come do mine ;) lol

I agree with tithra the look of the texture of your background looks different than the backgrounds you usually find in lps,mine is kind of stiff, and rips/creases easily, I currently have water spots all between my tank and my background :(

I also have water spots on my background well lakes

Very interesting tutorial, Lisa! Thanks for sharing! :D

Just a few questions- is the background reflective? Like, do you get ugly shiny spots if you photograph your tank? Where can I buy this? Is shipping expensive?

I have this background on the tank in my sig. I don't think it's overly shiny/reflective.

I bought it online. I got mine from thatpetplace.com and aquariumguys.com Their prices are pretty much exactly the same, as is shipping. You buy it by the foot. I always buy it one foot longer than I need it because it's not always cut perfectly straight on the sides. :D

I think shipping was about $7-8.

Looks fantastic, and easy apply! How tall is the roll? I mean if I ordered 4 feet of background, it would be 4 feet long and how tall?

My current background isn't tall enough for my tank and it sits below the water line - not so pretty! :(

Looks fantastic, and easy apply! How tall is the roll? I mean if I ordered 4 feet of background, it would be 4 feet long and how tall?

My current background isn't tall enough for my tank and it sits below the water line - not so pretty! :(

It comes in 3 different heights, I believe--12 or 13", 18.5" and 23". :D

Jeana, it's super easy!! You could do it. :nana

• Admin

If you want a custom one let me know I may know of a Member here a good friend of the family that owns a Vinyl tinting shop. Dont know about shipping but I do know he can make it out of any photograph as long as its big.. Let me know Ill ask :)

I'm so glad you did this and I'm so glad I saw your thread. :)

That was really nice. And your tank looks awesome.

So the order of you helping us is:

Shelly

Jeana

and Me :) I only live in California.

And what credit card works best for this project? Visa or MasterCard. haha hahahahahah

I really like this idea. I'm ending up doing the black foam board, though, b/c I really can't reach far enough behind my tank, without completely emptying it, removing everything from underneath it, and pushing it away from the wall (which I don't wanna do) to do this. But I like the look and it does look easy as long as you have access to the back! Wish I'd done it when I first set this tank up.

I really like this idea. I'm ending up doing the black foam board, though, b/c I really can't reach far enough behind my tank, without completely emptying it, removing everything from underneath it, and pushing it away from the wall (which I don't wanna do) to do this. But I like the look and it does look easy as long as you have access to the back! Wish I'd done it when I first set this tank up.

My husband and I put one on my 40B without moving it away from the wall, but much longer than 3 feet and we wouldn't have been able to reach.

:wa Alex don't mock my hairy arms. I'm very sensitive about them. :wa

:rofl3 Actually that's what happens to your arms when you go to law school. :o You're next. :pp