Black moor is on his way out :(

scurrie

I came home after a very stressful morning with Ollie my black moor and a very long shift at work to find him floating aimlessly in the tank, one side humped over to the top of the tank and his mouth just gasping for air. He also got helplessly tangle in a plant and couldn't get out earlier (according to my boyfriend who has freed him). I did a water change 2 days ago.

My water parameters are normal, no ammonia, no nitrate, about 15ppm I nitrate. I haven't added any medications but I gave him a salt dip this morning because he had a few fin tears. I'm on the mobile site right now so can't fill out the entire list of things. But I have 3 filters on the tank, it's a 55 gallon with a 3 inch pearl scale and a 4 inch calico fantail. He's about 5 inches. I also have a tiny BN pleco. I will try to get my computer working tomorrow but for tonight, he's so far gone and so sad looking I don't think I can help him :( plus it's 1am where I am and I only have some medicines.

Advice? Anyone? Should I just let him go or should I try something?

Edited by scurrie

I personally would move him into a QT. When the fish is that weak is worry about the bn pleco attacking him. I'm not saying it will but they will munch on dead fish and I have seen them go after fish close to death at work. I'd say get him into QT and see how he fares overnight and then reevaluate in the morning if he makes it through. But I'm sure the mods will be a bit more helpful than I.

My QT has a fish in it :( I bought an oranda not even 5 days ago. So I have him laying in a 5x10 fine mesh net inside the tank with the lights on so he doesn't float everywhere and no one can pick on him. He's just resting on the bottom. I have no idea what happened! He was perfect yesterday :( and now he's so sick :(

sorry to see your moor is not well :(

Could you post a video of his behavior please?

Besides the fin tears, have there been any other behavioral concerns? (bottom sitting, flashing etc.) has he been treated for flukes in the past? how does his poo look? how about his gills? Is he still eating at this point?

what percentage of salt did you use for the dip? how long did he last in the dip?

Sorry to hear about your fish.

Hope he gets better.

I'm not a moderator, but nobody mentioned it;

Aren't you concerned that your fish may have something that's contagious?

Wouldn't that be the first concern, and main reason for quarantine?

Wouldn't want your other ones to get sick.

Hope it works out.

:)

sorry to see your moor is not well :(

Could you post a video of his behavior please?

Besides the fin tears, have there been any other behavioral concerns? (bottom sitting, flashing etc.) has he been treated for flukes in the past? how does his poo look? how about his gills? Is he still eating at this point?

what percentage of salt did you use for the dip? how long did he last in the dip?

I woke up and he's still the same :( I will post a video later, I have to work all day again today. He was normal the day before yesterday, but then yesterday he was floating around on his nose at the top with a few couple mm tears in his tail. Now they're even worse but I think some of them are because he was thrashed about yesterday. He has been treated for flukes in the past. His poo looked okay yesterday but today it's white and stringy :( never a good sign. His gills look ok. He ate yesterday but not this morning.

The salt dip was 3% I think. Alex showed me how the last time we has a problem. And it was probably 2-3 minutes long.

The only other thing that changed is the temperature. I don't have anything to regulate it so as the house temperature has gone down (here is the chilly state of maine) so has the tank temp. It's about 69 right now. I know they're okay with cooler temps and it didn't happen over night it's progressively gotten slightly cooler as the days have gone by.

Ugh. Weekends are the WORST time for fish to fall ill :( I work so so so much :(

I don't have two quarantines and my one is currently occupied by an oranda that I bought a few days ago. I do however have a 5 gallon bucket and a bunch of extra airstones and filters. The only thing I'm worried about is my very adventurous cats. So if I do really need to separate him then I could do that and find a place to hide him from them.

One moor thing (see what I did there)

About a week ago I posted in the d&d about him being floaty, but the next day he was fine. Do you think this might have something to do with that?

In all honesty, I'm not sure if he's going to make it by the time I get out of work :( he just takes a big gulp of air every 5-7 seconds. Very labored. :( it's so heartbreaking to watch. I moved him to his bucket with a bubbler and set him up high so the cats won't know where to find him. When I get back I will update you all.

About a week ago I posted in the d&d about him being floaty, but the next day he was fine. Do you think this might have something to do with that?

I was just wondering if it was the same moor.

Could you feel his belly when you get home and let us know how it feels? Along with posting a video.

Was he fine prior to the salt dip or did this behavior start before the dip?

I was just wondering if it was the same moor.

Could you feel his belly when you get home and let us know how it feels? Along with posting a video.

Was he fine prior to the salt dip or did this behavior start before the dip?

He passed while I was gone :( I'm so upset, he was my buddy. His belly was tender, and he wasn't like that the day before yesterday. He was happily swimming around with his friends and eating from that food dispenser I made. When I dipped him, he just had the fin tears.

What could have caused him to go downhill so fast?!?!

I'm so sorry :( Unfortunately sometimes these things happen and there is not much we can do. It's tough when it happens so suddenly and quickly like that :(

I feel like he was maybe a poorly bred fish. Because he got sick a lot for only being around 4 months, where my others have never been sick at all :(

Sierra, I know that Ollie has past, but I did want to follow up...

Did you ever run a full run of parasite treatments, meaning 2 weeks of salt of 0.3%, as well as 4 rounds of praziquantel?

:hug I'm sorry that your fish had passed away. I would think even a "poorly bred" fish could still be a healthy fish. (couldn't he/she?!!) I hope your other fish will be okay.

Sierra, I know that Ollie has past, but I did want to follow up...

Did you ever run a full run of parasite treatments, meaning 2 weeks of salt of 0.3%, as well as 4 rounds of praziquantel?

I raised the salt in the tank two days ago when I saw his fins but I haven't started Prazi or anything. I should probably do that, you're right.

• 1 year later...

Scurrie,

I'm so sorry about your fish. I've had many fish get caught in things, they keep struggling to the point of exhaustion and it troughs their metabolism out of balance. Like when a race horse gets black water from being run too much and then abruptly stopped. They usually struggle to recover for a day or two and then pass. My boss (a vet) said the next time I have a fish get caught in something to raise the temp to at least 70 and add salt 15 grams per gallon to help balance their osmotic density and aid in their resperation and just wait and hope they are strong enough to recover.  Again I am SO sorry about your fish. I'm sure he had a good life with you.

My deepest sympathies,

Glenn