Questions about substrate and plants?

Sherry

Ok so I have three 20 bags of black sand to add to my tank and its been bare bottom all this time while cycling. I have fish it this tank and was wondering if I can add the sand with the fish in it or if I should remove them and put them back in after adding the sand. Here was my plan I was going to clean the sand prior to adding it to the tank like I do with any substrate than when I clean out the tank and its about half full while filling back up with the new water add the sand one bag at a time until its all in and than spead it out this way I wont disturb the fish to much. Also I just purchased some Java Fern, Baby Dwarf Tears, and a Amazon Sword. Ive had an Anubis plant and Water Wisteria already planted in small pots under some gravel with plant tabs and was going to replant them under the sand the only plant that I know 100% where I am going to plant is the Baby Dwarf Tears. Everything else im not sure about how big is gets and where I should plant it any tips would be greatly appreciated. So far what I have observed is the Amazon sword looks very tall and should maybe be planted toward the back along with the wisteria which has grown alot already since I got it. The anubis looks small and java fern medium is it ok to plant java fern in the substrate Ive seen lots of videos where everyone suggests attaching it to wood or rocks? The baby dwarf tears I was going to divide by three and put it near underneath the openinging on my bridge that I have in the tank. Thanks for help in advance.

It's best to remove your fish when you add the sand if you are able to. It depends on the type of sand but in my experience sand can make the water quite cloudy when you first add it which could be irritating to the gills.

Amazon swords get quite large so toward the back of the tank is ideal. Java fern can also grow quite large, but is a slower grower so it would be fine as a mid ground plant. Anubias can be mid ground as well, they are even slower growers ;)

The wisteria is a stem plant, so it can be trimmed to whatever height you want (and you can then replant the tops), so you could choose to keep this one as a background or midground plant.

Java fern can be planted, you just have to make sure you don't plant the rhizome, similar to anubias (java fern also has a rhizome, but it is very small compared to an anubias rhizome so you have to look carefully). That said, both of these plants tend to do best when they are tied to something instead of planted, which is why most people opt to do this.

I have no idea what your setup is like, but just a heads up that the dwarf baby tears like high light and co2. They are difficult to grow in a 'low tech' tank, although I am sure there are examples out there of people who have made it happen one way or another ;)

Thanks everyone I removed the fish and added the sand last night. Then added the fish back and everyone is doing fine. Tithra the baby dwarf tears didn't last long enough for me to kill them the goldfish turned it into a tasty snack :( and the tank is still a work in progress it seems like I'll never get it looking just right. Not to mention when I checked on it this morning the roots from the baby dwarf tears were floating around and sticking to the filter. What an adventure.

Thanks everyone I removed the fish and added the sand last night. Then added the fish back and everyone is doing fine. Tithra the baby dwarf tears didn't last long enough for me to kill them the goldfish turned it into a tasty snack :( and the tank is still a work in progress it seems like I'll never get it looking just right. Not to mention when I checked on it this morning the roots from the baby dwarf tears were floating around and sticking to the filter. What an adventure.

:o Plant monsters! Don't give up; keep trying. :heart My fish were just awful, and now they don't even notice what I put in the tank.

I have never tried those with goldfish -- they look too tender and tasty. :yikes

I have some in my tank right now. My fish haven't touched them :rofl I must seriously have the most well behaved fish on the planet.