A new little Oranda (video w/4 photo's)

Hi Everyone,
Taylor and I were out last night and on the way home we stopped off at Petsmart and saw this little Oranda. After about half an hour of should I's and I shouldn't, I brought him/her home. He's a cute little active Oranda. Is he considered a Chocolate Oranda? I took his measurements and he is 2 1/4 in body, 3 1/2 inches in total, and is 16 grams.

After getting a good look at him under some light I see all this white stuff on his wen. What is that? Growth? Color change? Nasties? I hope it's nothing to be seriously alarmed about. I'm going to worry more so about all my Oranda's now with the passing of Jet now. :(

His dorsal fin needs a tiny bit of repair and I think he might have a missing scale on his side. His tail looks great with no kinks like a couple of my other fish. I'm hoping to have him/her grow into a big gorgeous fish. Taylor told me he's my new project. I felt like I was missing something in regards to our fish because I was always doing something for Jet it seemed. I'll keep myself busy with this new little Oranda in qt now. I hope it all goes great.

Video:

http://10-5-13newlittlefish008_zps57df1a13.jpg

[/url]">http://10-5-13newlittlefish005_zpsc45ff3b7.jpg

[/url]">http://10-5-13newlittlefish004_zps7bc9cada.jpg

[/url]">http://10-5-13newlittlefish003_zps4e8f2395.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Such a cute lil' fella (or gal). Hope all goes smoothly & he (she) grows into a big old fat Oranda!! Wen looks normal for a young one to me!

How cute!!! Good luck with him/her Cheryl!! Yes, that is. Chocolate Oranda :). But by looking at him, I don't think he is going to hold his color :(. I hope he does though! :D

How precious! He's nice find! :)

My common has the same coloration as him, and I too see sort of a white sheen on her head when the light hits her a certain way. I'm pretty sure that's normal with wild-types, but we'll see what a mod says.

very very cute! congrats!

The wen looks totally fine to me :) Could be a little extra slime coat that you are seeing. Wen growth spots typically look like strings of fluff coming off the wen.

Aww Cheryl, what a cutie! I wish you best of luck with him :)

Not sure on the color, I once had a Lionhead the same and I just called it a bronze Lionhead :teehee the chocolate orandas I've seen recently were a little more tan (i dont know if tan is the right word) than that, but regardless I just love him :heart

So very very cute!!!! :wub: I hope your new little oranda lives for a really long time and QT is utterly boring :D

Have you thought of any names!?

What a cutie pie! :) I would like to wish you the best of luck for an uneventful QT. :heart

Thank you so much

Such a cute lil' fella (or gal). Hope all goes smoothly & he (she) grows into a big old fat Oranda!! Wen looks normal for a young one to me!

Thank you so much. I'm glad the wen looks normal.

How cute!!! Good luck with him/her Cheryl!! Yes, that is. Chocolate Oranda :). But by looking at him, I don't think he is going to hold his color :(. I hope he does though! :D

Thank you so much. I have a feeling he is either going to brighten up his brown or lose it all together. I hope he turns a rich chocolate.

I would say a Bronze Oranda. The white stuff on the wen is usually a sign of growth. Nice fish!

Thank you. He does have that bronze/light brown color in him. Thanks for the info on wen.

How precious! He's nice find! :)

My common has the same coloration as him, and I too see sort of a white sheen on her head when the light hits her a certain way. I'm pretty sure that's normal with wild-types, but we'll see what a mod says.

Thank you for your info. To me it looks like fluffy string sitting in his wen.

very very cute! congrats!

The wen looks totally fine to me :) Could be a little extra slime coat that you are seeing. Wen growth spots typically look like strings of fluff coming off the wen.

Thank you. And, how funny....I just said to Georgia the wen looks like fluffy string sitting in his wen. And here you said almost the same thing. (I didn't read you post until now) I'll try not to worry.

Aww Cheryl, what a cutie! I wish you best of luck with him :)

Not sure on the color, I once had a Lionhead the same and I just called it a bronze Lionhead :teehee the chocolate orandas I've seen recently were a little more tan (i dont know if tan is the right word) than that, but regardless I just love him :heart

Aww, Your lionhead sounds adorable. Thank you for the info.

So very very cute!!!! :wub: I hope your new little oranda lives for a really long time and QT is utterly boring :D

Have you thought of any names!?

Thank you so much. No big thoughts on any names yet. I've been calling him little cutie. :)

He is so cute. Congrats. He will grow to be big and beautiful like your other orandas. Orandas are my favorite of the fancies.

I just watched the video he looks healthy to me and very active he is saying wow I love my new home how exciting cant wait to meet the other fish here after quarantine. :)

His wen looks like a mohawk. You could name him Mo or Hawk. :rofl

He's adorable Cheryl. I'm so happy for you and Taylor. :nana

Thank you Lisa. I like the name Mohawk. I'm going to remember that. Thanks. :)

What a little cutie,but in the last two photos it looks like he/she isn't too happy at posing for pics. :teehee

He/She is a fast swimmer. I was barely hanging onto him and in the second photo he is already swimming out of my hand. haha

(that got messed up above. :(

Edited by 4prettyfish

He is so cute. Congrats. He will grow to be big and beautiful like your other orandas. Orandas are my favorite of the fancies.

Thank you for the nice words. Oranda's are my fav also. Those lionheads look pretty cute also though.

I just watched the video he looks healthy to me and very active he is saying wow I love my new home how exciting cant wait to meet the other fish here after quarantine. :)

He is active! He's a fast little swimmer. His poor qt tank is boring though. Nothing in it. Maybe I'll put a couple stones in it tomorrow or a plant. I hope all the Oranda's get along when they do get together.

Awww what a cutie.

Thank you so much. Is that your fish photo? Love his/her color and tail. Gorgeous.

Very pretty young oranda, Cheryl. :Congrats:

Thanks Alex. It's been since last June/July 2012 since we've had a younger fish. This guy/gal is quick/fast/alert and always looking for food.

He's a stunner

Aww! Thank you. You need to post more video's of your new beautiful fish swimming.