Food for Wakin

DarkSeas

Hey everyone,

Lately I have taken great interest in the wakin goldfish. I just love the fact that they are slender body goldfish, therefore there is much less chances of them having swim bladder issues. I like them because they feel that they are a hybrid between a fancy and a koi. What Ilike most about them is the tail. That tail reminds me of the tails ranchus have. Anyways so in my newfound interest in wakins I decided to order a few from Raingarden, but before I do I was wondering: what food is best for them? Should I give them some of the hikari lionhead I have for my ranchus? Or would it be better to give them some high quality hikari koi food? Just wanted to run the thought by everyone and see what everyone thought. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hikari Lionhead is fine to feed to all goldfish. It helps them grow a lot. Eh, I don't know about giving them koi food. I'm not sure how big you ordered the fish, but some koi pellets come quite large. I think you're better off with goldfish food. A couple good quality brand pellets are New Life Spectrum, Pro-Gold, and Omega One. If you want to expand their variety and offer gel food, Repashy is the way to go. Soilent Green has a higher protein content based on a few fish meals it contains, best for growing and developing fish. Super Green is a more vegan gel food. Many people say it decreased floaty issues with their fancies, but I don't think you will worry too much on that. Making your own gel food with either gelatin or agar-agar is another option- it's great because you know exactly what's going in and what your fish are eating.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :hi Will they be living in a pond? Posting pics of your new fishes is required!! :rules::rofl

I like this koi/goldfish food. Info here. I particularly like the fact that it isn't "color enhancing" so it doesn't turn white yellow. The small pellets are fine for goldfish. They have nice wakins too.

The only thing I dislike about this is that it's floating, which might be fine for ponders, but probably not so much for aquarium fish.

I love Wakins too & hope to have some someday. We'd love to see what you order when the day comes;).

I currently feed ProGold & that's what I would continue to feed. There are some other great examples people have listed as well. I'd like to start feeding Repashy, the Super Green &/or Soilent Green.

Liz

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

Edited by duckweed