Sign in to follow this  
ladymclamb

Red blotch on body? Nitrite Poisoning?

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank) .10ppm (was at 2.0 ppm three days ago)
* Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap) .15ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater test kit (Drops)
* Water temperature? 71.8
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g / running for a month now
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 70 HOB
* How often do you change the water and how much? 20-40% once a week
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 50% (there was a Nitrite spike)
* How many fish in the tank and their size? two goldfish; 13g pearlscale and 13g oranda

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? SeaChem Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Fancy Goldfish pellets, 2-3x a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? Only a .01% salt treatment to possibly help with detoxing Nitrites.
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Two weeks ago, 0.03% salt treatment, for Ick.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red spot on body. Was not there a week ago.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He has been hanging out in the bamboo plant about two inches from the surface. Not gulping air or anything, just staying near the top.

From what my internet sluthing has come up with, it may be Nitrite Poisoning? There was a large spike in my Nitrites just 4-5 days ago (Nitrogen Cycle) and I didn't catch it to do a WC. I'm uncertain how long they were subject to the spike.

AZKkfSx.jpg

Video of Krang and Petrie (Red Spot visible)

I hope your fish recovers well. :hug

Advice: Is there a reason your WCs are so small? It is recommended to do 50% or more once a week, even more if you are cycling your tank as (you've already found) Nitrites are toxic. :( It would be best to test daily during this time so that you can make sure the fish are safe in their water. :)

A Mod will be here soon to provide their input.

Keep doing a large water change daily until your nitrite level is zero. Hopefully all the irritated areas need are clean water to heal :)

Wasn't sure if it was harmful to do such large water changes frequently. :) I'll go ahead and change out some more water.

Wasn't sure if it was harmful to do such large water changes frequently. :) I'll go ahead and change out some more water.

If it were most of the fish on Koko's would be dead... a lot of us do 80% or 90% every week. I know I always lower the water to the backs of my fish every time, with is about 90%. :)

Doing large water changes will not do anything harmful in any way. All beneficial bacteria that cycles the tank are found in the filter media. There is an extremely miniscule amount living in the water column, and does not change the cycle when removed.

My best wishes for a full recovery. :)

It is important to note that doing a huge water change CAN sometimes be harmful. If the tank water and tap water have a large ph difference, that is bad. If the temperatures of the water vary greatly, that is bad. If the tap water contains addatives like chlorine or chloramine, and it is not neutralized, that is bad. These things can be deadly for the fish. Most people who have owned fish for a long time, or who have researched fish care on great forums like this one, already know this, but it is important to point out to someone who does not appear to know.

Edited by DieselPlower

Right, DP. That's exactly why I asked if there was a reason why she did small ones. :)

That's very true! I totally forgot about that!

you've already gotten good advice :)

Just wondering if there is any way to get a clearer more close up on the red spot. I can see that it is red, but I can't see much detail beyond that in the video or pic. Perhaps you could get a better close up by placing her in a tupperware?

Is there a lump or anything like that associated with the redness? Are the scales still intact in that area?