Pearlscale spawn!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fry are 3 weeks old. I feel like they are a bit small? but there are definitely some larger fry and some that are a bit behind growth wise. I lost two right are a water change last week :/ but everyone else seems to be doing quite well. I only have 1 fry with an obvious defect left and he managed to avoid the first major cull round so I'm letting him live and seeing how he develops I can always cull later if his quality of life degrades. You can see them in the video!

They are adorable! I do see your concern about them being a bit small though. Are you currently keeping them in that bowl?

No they live in a 10 gal tub (there is a picture on the previous page). They're getting nearly 100% wc daily but I think I'm going to up the amount I'm feeding and see if it increases growth a bit. I'm honestly more concerned about overfeeding leading to water quality problems. Their parents are also on the small side (one of the possible dads is young) and the other dad and the mother aren't very large fish either so I'm wondering if genetics is playing a role as well. Anyone have any suggestions on how to bulk them up a bit?

What about variety of food? I noticed my fry didn't grow nearly as much when I was feeding only bbs as compared to when I started feeding bbs, plus daphnia, smushed peas, and first bites.

Right now I'm feeding bbs and crushed NLS Thera A. How big is daphnia?

I only have experience with frozen daphnia. They're pretty small, perfect for when they're around a month old.

Awesome I'll try some of those as well. The good news is I haven't really lost many besides the ones I originally culled and the few that passed on their own. I definitely have some now that are much larger than the smallest ones. the guy with the bent back is still very small but is still kicking. Most are developing dorsals atm. I'd say I have roughly 25-27 left. On one hand I really like the tub I'm using because of its shallowness and it's so light which is easy to carry and rinse out. But on the other hand it is black and I can't really see the fry! :( Poor color choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I've thinned out the herd a but more. I have maybe 5-9 that are growing quickly and then maybe 7 that are still quite small :/ I did drop the ball a bit with finals this week so hopefully I can make up for lost growth over winter break. But I have 12 more babies that have been collected over the past two weeks. I've only been taking them if I see them clinging to things and my fish continue to spawn once or twice weekly. :rofl

I can see why you're concerned about their size. Mine are at three weeks old, and a fair number of them are definitely bigger than your fry seem to be at three weeks, although there are still a good amount of stragglers. Do you keep plants in with your fry? I have a lot of plants in with mine, so I'm assuming that their are little aquatic critters living on those that they can eat, along with algae, and they're always poking around in the gravel like miniature alien versions of their parents :) I feed mine several times a day with either BBS, First Bites, and egg yolk in water. Then again, genetics may play a role too, as my fish are mostly on the bigger side, and the mother is three years old and has spawned before. She's a pearlscale, too, but from the pictures of your fish, she's quite a bit bigger they are at about 50-55 grams.

I hope some of your babies are calicos with those black speckles and stripes in their tails. I have a little soft spot for those :wub:

Mine get fed plenty and i have quite the varied diet going on. Most are bigger than the pictures now em but I still have stragglers. I also do not have a heater running in their tank anymore because of outlet issues (aka I do not have any more space lol) so the slightly cooler temps could be contributing to slow growth as well. My female and my male are both around a year old and in the 40g range so they aren't particularly large.

Well I lost a few of my larger fry in one day quite unexpectedly. Ushi was having trouble releasing eggs again so I handspawned and I have a bunch of babies from the past week or two so I'm going to try again. I still have 10+ from my last batch but most are small and only a few are looking good developmentally. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong at this stage? They get perfect water conditions, are treated for flukes early but some just fail to thrive? It's pretty frustrating to be honest :(

For me, the growth rate of my fry was significantly higher when they were in warmer water (75-80F) and I was feeding them a variety of food. Still, my staple was BBS. They could only eat BBS and First Bites in the beginning, but later I put them on daphnia. I also kept algae and a Marimo moss ball in the tank for them to munch on. Even so, mine didn't seem to grow as fast as other people's. Mine were only slightly more developed than yours at 3 weeks, but this could be because my boyfriend is the day-to-day caregiver (they live at his house, and I only go there on weekends) and he told me he regularly forgot to feed them three times a day and often fed them twice a day instead.

I didn't feed them too much First Bites because my adults have swim bladder problems when I feed them too much dry food. I feed the adults mostly Hikari frozen food (especially Spirulina/Brine Shrimp) and they do best on that.

I'm glad you are treating with Prazi. When I joined Koko's I was told that I was supposed to have done this at 2 weeks, but it was too late. I couldn't get a hold of any and had a massive die-off, which was hard. But I do have one remaining fry, and he/she is about 4 1/2 months old now! :clapping:

I raised fry before (well okay ONE fry) and he is 8 months old now and doing fantastically. But I am feeding BBS, daphnia, micro pellets, repashy super green, and NLS thera A. I've tried keeping a moss ball or something similar but it just collects too much waste, and since I'm not really sure why they drop dead I'm hesitant to change too many factors. They seem quite healthy and have good appetites and then just die... It's just frustrating because I consider myself a bit more competent than this, so I'm a bit embarrass as well. The water temp is easily 74-75, but I'm going to add a small heater to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

I totally understand your frustration ... I was having the same troubles not too long ago. My goldies spawned for the first time this summer, and I was so excited to have one fry remaining at 2 1/2 months ... and then he died. :no: On their second spawning, I was thrilled to gather up 13 fry, and then 12 died! But now I still have one at 4 1/2 months.

The more experience we get, the better our odds generally are, unless something catastrophic happens. I don't think you are doing anything wrong; on the contrary, I think you are doing a great job and are being very attentive to your fish! I would get a sponge filter instead of just an air stone, however - it helps to collect some of the waste. Your temp is great for fry at 74-75F, but a heater would help by stabilizing the temp if it fluctuates.

By the way, I love your pearlscales - I have 2 and mine look very similar!

^I do have a sponge filter running on the fry tank, and a airstone on a very low setting (in reality I just spilt one airline into two and divert more air to the sponge filter).

tumblr_mwxl3lH3Cp1rvj6gdo1_500.jpg

This is a pretty old picture but there's the sponge filter, and the airstone on low. That was when I was still raising the water level from 6-12 inches but it's full now. I honestly can't wait until summer because I'm just going to put all my fry into tubs outdoors with lots of water lettuce and let nature do it's thing. :rofl

That is a nice setup! :-)

I was told the water level shouldn't be more than 6 inches for fry or it could break their backs, but don't know how big they have to be before you can raise it. I kept mine at 6 inches for 3 months just to be on the safe side, and then raised it a little each week. I'd be interested to know at which point it's safe to raise the water level.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That is a nice setup! :-)

I was told the water level shouldn't be more than 6 inches for fry or it could break their backs, but don't know how big they have to be before you can raise it. I kept mine at 6 inches for 3 months just to be on the safe side, and then raised it a little each week. I'd be interested to know at which point it's safe to raise the water level.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with breaking their backs but a lower water level helps the swim bladders develop correctly. Their backs are very fragile but water pressure alone won't break them. If that was the case then none of my fry that hatched in my 55 gal would've been able to swim to the top like they do. I started raising the water levels at about a month old and raised it two inches daily until it was full.

I've had my 25gallon tank full to the top minus maybe 3 1/2" and my fry have been fine, I haven't lost any because of the water depths. I had transferred them to the grow out at a week old, I'm not sure i believe the water depth thing, they naturally should be able to develop their swim bladders... They just seem to chill out at the top of the water if its deeper. Just speaking from my own experience.

I've had my 25gallon tank full to the top minus maybe 3 1/2" and my fry have been fine, I haven't lost any because of the water depths. I had transferred them to the grow out at a week old, I'm not sure i believe the water depth thing, they naturally should be able to develop their swim bladders... They just seem to chill out at the top of the water if its deeper. Just speaking from my own experience.

If they hatch in shallower waters then you should try to transition them slowly. Especially pearlscales who by design have swim bladder issues. I tend to prefer shallower tubs with more surface area to allow better gas exchange, but I'm pressed for space atm. It's up to you whether or not you "believe it" but they do not hatch with functioning swim bladders so the first week or two are critically important. Too much pressure can cause stress on the swim bladder causing malformation. Shallower is preferred not because deep water will kill them, but because it helps lessen the chance of issues forming down the road. ;)