Sign in to follow this  
Pearlscaleperfect

Pearlscale spawn!

Turkey basters are the easiest way to move fry around :) just use it slowly and carefully. I have seen issues at each stage pop up and some don't make it. Sometimes a swim bladder doesn't develop, or pectoral fins, or intestinal probelms. Keep the temperature steady so you don't shock them or induce a fluke breeding spree. :) Good Luck!

I use a tea strainer to move my fry around. It's like a mini fish net. :)

It is a better sign actually that the fish are culling in the first month then later when they are progressed into better developed fish. This almost always means it is a genetic or underdeveloped issue. :)

Congratulations.

Looks like you will have an army of Pearlscale minions to do your bidding :P

Congrats on all the fry! They're so cute :) Glad to see they're all doing well. I prazi'd my fry from day 1 also & I'm super interested in seeing how your experience turns out in doing so as well.

I made the decision to cull the weak fry that were in QT. I have 7 now from batch one. batch two is still too early to do any major culls, I don't see anyone with big visible deformities so I'll play that by ear. I would suspect to find more babies that do not develop properly in a more heavily 'modified' breed like the pearlscale but I'm not sure how true this is. From batch 1 most are developing around the same speed with one fry noticeably larger and with much more finnage.

s7ib.jpg

Largest fry, longest fins

o10a.jpg

More or less what all of the rest look like. Slight variation as far as forking is concerned but it's a fairly good 'average' fry. Sorry these pictures are sort of dark and grainy, I forgot to adjust my settings before taking them and when i realized it was too late! :rofl

great shots as far as I can see ;) thanks for sharing :)

what exactly do you do as far as culling?

great shots as far as I can see ;) thanks for sharing :)

what exactly do you do as far as culling?

I cull like I would euthanize any fish, with some clove oil. These guys are so small it's more economical to so them together in one go to save clove oil. There are less humane ways to do it but I don't like culling to begin with but it is necessary and I want as little suffering involved as possible. :(

So cute!! :heart

Too cute! :heart

When will they start developing their pearlie bellies?

Thanks for the honest answer PSP,I only had a handful to start with and I have lost about half in the first few weeks I figure the strongest will survive,I don't know if I could do this on a regular basis ;) but it is so much fun watching them grow and change :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I'm sorry. :(:hug

Some how I am just reading this now! :o

Sorry for your losses. :(

What an exciting read! Good luck with them! I look forward to more updates now that I finally read this! :rofl

thanks guys <3 I'm not too bummed because at this size things are a bit out of my control. No one was acting ill and everyone was eating well so I really don't know whats going on.

the ones I lost didn't act different in any way either, my smallest fry is bottom sitting today I don't think I'll have him much longer :(

Took some of the first batch earlier this week, everyone is growing dorsals. I have one fry I don't think will make it however. It seems at this point some are really thriving and others simply aren't.

ktsb.jpg

One of the smaller fry

7boa.jpg

the largest fry (who is even larger now nearly a week later)

v0qa.jpg

Second largest fry.

:heart I think I might steal some from you. :lol2

I forgot to mention batch two is doing well! They'll be two weeks on Sunday and I've only lost one (who died a few days after hatching). I have them in a 10gal tub with an airstone and a small heater. They get twice daily 100% wcs, or as much as I can remove without he removing them, and I have them on 4ish feedings a day.

memazuru.jpg

There are 34 in batch two

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

They are so cute! ^-^ What temperature do you keep their water at?

It normally hovers around 76-78 as per a breeders instructions. I had to cull two last night and I may have to cull a few more but it is too early to tell. I had another one in batch one that wasn't growing or feeding well and it became very weak so it was culled as well. It sounds horrible but I want to maximize the amount of healthy fish in spawns where the breed is already notorious for being delicate. Not to mention I caught my boys heavily chasing my female twice this week. Not sure if anything came of it but I didn't see any eggs and I don't have the space for another batch atm. But it looks like she's wanting to spawn after every waterchange.

They are so cute! ^-^ What temperature do you keep their water at?

It normally hovers around 76-78 as per a breeders instructions. I had to cull two last night and I may have to cull a few more but it is too early to tell. I had another one in batch one that wasn't growing or feeding well and it became very weak so it was culled as well. It sounds horrible but I want to maximize the amount of healthy fish in spawns where the breed is already notorious for being delicate. Not to mention I caught my boys heavily chasing my female twice this week. Not sure if anything came of it but I didn't see any eggs and I don't have the space for another batch atm. But it looks like she's wanting to spawn after every waterchange.

No, I think it's great that you want to maximize the healthy numbers. I had to do the same and culled ~50% over time.

My teles didn't stop spawning for months. If I hadn't rehomed them, I think they'd still be at it :teehee

Anyway, I can't wait to see those pearlscale bellies come in :)

My first batch isn't doing too hot, out of the blue my biggest guy dropped dead and the other few are looking okay for now :/ but I don't really have high hopes. Batch two however seems to be much stronger for whatever reasons, they're just past the two week mark and most have already started developing tail spreads. They're in a black tub so it can be hard to see them grow but every few days (they get twice daily 100% changes) I collect them all up and scrub the tub down since it gets scummy. I tried to count and I think I have 30.

u20p.jpg

Their tub! It has a small heater and an airstone, I'll pop a sponge filter in when they get a bit larger.

ygxt.jpg

Where they chill while I scrub down the tub, do you know how long it takes to catch 30 fish against a black backdrop?! the answer is very long.

b6fj.jpg

Everyone should have a dragon china bowl for fish pictures :rofl

6gj1.jpg

wk8q.jpg

What a nice tail on the one in focus!

x9k4.jpg

nnu9.jpg

ftmp.jpg

rxx8.jpg

thats all of em! I hope these guys continue to grow well and do better than batch one did.

Good luck, MK! Have you started prazi?