Sign in to follow this  
Pearlscaleperfect

Pearlscale spawn!

These are from a few days ago but they look more or less the same :rofl

83gb.jpg

q5fo.jpg

c89j.jpg

uabu.jpg

I'm sorry they're a bit dark! Everyone has tiny little tails growing! some are longer than others but because Ushi has a shorter tail and Cider has longer finnage I'm curious to see what they'll end up with.

Well none of the second batch ended up developing. I'm not quite sure why! Ah well there's always next time.

Sorry to hear about the second batch, it's hard to keep the temp stable in such small bowls. Better off submersing them in a ten gal after fertilizing. (That means using smaller containers to collect them which is a bit more of a chore)

Sorry to hear about the second batch, it's hard to keep the temp stable in such small bowls. Better off submersing them in a ten gal after fertilizing. (That means using smaller containers to collect them which is a bit more of a chore)

I actually spoke a bit too soon. I didn't have time to clean out the bowl and when I came home many have eyes and spines forming. I guess the coolers temps in the house are leading to slower development. Temps are stable in my house just a bit low, it's actually cooler in the house than it is outside at certain times of the day, and we just turned our heat on yesterday. There are definitely some that aren't fertilized and I want to remove them but I'm going to wait a few more hours and get the bad ones in the morning just to make sure I only remove the bad ones (none are fuzzy yet so there is a bit of a gray area where I'm not sure).

This is so exciting! I can't wait to see what this new batch looks like :)

:nana

The big ones look so good, and congratulations on your 2nd batch. :)

Eek! Congrats MK!!! :nana

If everyone hatches I'll have around 85-100 fry this next batch. They are developing slowly but most are wiggling in their eggs as we speak.

I seriously need to come over and see that!!! It must be soooo adorable!!

Ps, how's Kimi?

Congrats!!! It took 4 days for my last fry to hatch when the temps were in the low 60s here.

If everyone hatches I'll have around 85-100 fry this next batch. They are developing slowly but most are wiggling in their eggs as we speak.

When they are developing slowly due to temps watch their swim bladder. Don't feed them too much too soon and expect their growth rate not to even out with the other batch until after the first month.

Mine spawn in the pond so there definitely isn't an issue but mine also don't have the growth rates of other fry on the forum.

When they are developing slowly due to temps watch their swim bladder. Don't feed them too much too soon and expect their growth rate not to even out with the other batch until after the first month.

Mine spawn in the pond so there definitely isn't an issue but mine also don't have the growth rates of other fry on the forum.

Thanks for the heads up una! Honestly the temps in my house seem to be pretty stable +/-5 degrees yearround (we keep the air on pretty high in the summer) so I don't know why it is taking them so long in retrospect since it was probably around the same temps as the last batch and the few fry I had in May. A few fry have hatched (5 so far) and another 30ish are very close. Then there are some that look to be a whole like day behind developmentally so I'm not sure it those will hatch or what. I'm going to set them up in a ten gal eventually but my mom is giving me grief about all these babies so I have to find somewhere to put it. I just can't justify NOT letting them spawn or assisting them to spawn because it's not something that happens every day and if their babies end up being pretty I'd love to spread them around and give them away. It would be so much easier if it were warmer out! I could just put them outside and call it a day. :rofl

Congrats. I love pearlscales, they are by far my favorite fancy. I've been wanting to spawn mine but unfortunately all three of mine are females.

Anyways congrats on the fry. I'm looking forward to seeing their development.

I think I need to steal a few fry from you. :lol2

Congrats. I love pearlscales, they are by far my favorite fancy. I've been wanting to spawn mine but unfortunately all three of mine are females.

If you want one (or ten) let me know! :rofl I'm gonna have a ton of babies and no where to keep them.

If you want one (or ten) let me know! :rofl I'm gonna have a ton of babies and no where to keep them.
Of course. I would love some of the fry. When do you think they would be ready?

Well they hatched...today. Or are hatching... :rofl I do have 12 from my last spawn but those are only like 3 weeks old. I'd say at least 4months but it all depends on growth rates and this is my first big batch of fry from this pair so I have no clue how it's going to go! I'm fairly new to breeding. All parties involved are technically calicos but only one really expresses it heavily. (the two males are orange and white with one black marking) So it will be interesting to see what the babies look like! Also both 'fathers' of the second batch are crowned pearscales, and the mother is a tiku (non crowned). We have varying tail lengths and 'roundness' as well so I don't know enough about the genetics to predict what they'll look like.

What are you going to do with all of them? :rofl. Maybe you can sell them to your LFS and the pet store you work at :). I am so jealous of everyone that has been having fry. :P maybe when mine breed (as if :rofl) I can get a blue ingot from Moon if she is a female and my blue male Ryukin. :P

What are you going to do with all of them? :rofl. Maybe you can sell them to your LFS and the pet store you work at :). I am so jealous of everyone that has been having fry. :P maybe when mine breed (as if :rofl) I can get a blue ingot from Moon if she is a female and my blue male Ryukin. :P

I do not want to bring them to any store! I would take them to my LFS as a last resort but I'd really rather give them all away. Worst comes to worst I'll ask Cynthia to help me find homes. I'll give them to anyone who wants one provided they pay shipping, as I do not have the means to pay for shipping for any of them. Of course I'm always opens to donations to help continue to fund things like this :rofl I love breeding purely from a hobby standpoint, you can learn to much about an animal by watching them develop, and I'd love to produce show quality fish at some point! But honestly this is just for fun, I'm not looking to make any sort of profit off of them. Honestly even if everyone who took a baby paid for it, it probably still wouldn't equal the cost of prime and prazi that 100% daily waterchanges cost in the long run!

Also! some crappy iphone shots!

tumblr_mvbebk9Np11rvj6gdo1_1280.jpgtumblr_mvbebk9Np11rvj6gdo2_1280.jpg

These are from the new batch.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

They are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thud

If you want to come down next weekend, I can give you a 4 oz bottle of PraziPro. :) my LFS is getting it in for me, but I don't need it now as you have read ;). Maybe you can stop by and see all my animals as well :P and maybe bring a fry or two. :peeka:rofl jk I have no room.

I actually just stocked up! I spend so much money at my LFS and you get "points" and then you can use the points as money to buy stuff. I was also just given a gift card to my LFS by my friend as a belated birthday present, they know me well. She told me when she went in and mentioned who it was for the cashier knew me :rofl

:rofl that's funny!

We have something that that at my LFS too! :D we have these cards. And it excludes dog and car food as well as live animals. (Maybe other stuff but I think that's all) and when you do 12 purchases, we average it out and give store credit to be used on anything!

So far I have 34 hatchlings with more on the way. Posted Image

Also Ushi was being chased his morning so I've got her in the net box until I can deal with her later. Not sure if I'm going to fertilize the next batch. Also lost a baby this morning for batch one :( not sure what the cause was since they've been in prazi for a while now.

Wow they are looking good :). Sometimes you lose fry for development reasons you can't see. Looks like your doing awesome!

Wow they are looking good :). Sometimes you lose fry for development reasons you can't see. Looks like your doing awesome!

Thanks for the kind words :heart Two others are looking weak as well so I've QTd them in case this is an illness of some sort. I've moved the remaining 9 fry into a breeder net and put it in the main tank after a large waterchange today. I prazi'd the water as well. The rest of the second batch never finished developing, so I ended up with 35 fry in total (if I counted correctly). After their first meal I'm going to move them into a 10 gal which I've sterilized so hopefully if the first batch has something I'll be able to keep it away from the second. Although atm I really can't see any cause for disease, so I'm just playing it by ear. :wacko: