Pearlscale spawn!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has hatched! I have 13 total, and there were 5 duds, that just didn't finish developing and then never hatched.

iufg.jpg

It is slightly out of focus but I'll get some better pictures tomorrow. They love to cling to the anubias I threw in there.

13 is a good number! How many did you get in your last spawn?

Haha 2! That hatched. But the eggs had to undergo a 45 minute drive. Kai laid around 40. I have no clue how many Ushi put out because I only came home to find whatever eggs were left!

Took a video of the babies at 6ish days! they are living in a larger sterlite tub but I was in the middle of cleaning it out so I scooted them into the glass dish(which looks nicer). Everyone is eating and doing well. One fry developed without a swim bladder and was stuck on the bottom so I had to cull but other than that everyone is healthy and defect free. They're are 12 babies in total C: all with very full tummies.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Oh my goodness, so precious!!! Congrats and good luck!!

Thank you!!

I managed to get one singular good picture the past few days.

10241645466_e28fba67ba_c.jpg

Look at it's little eyes! Here is a larger version too if anyone is interested in seeing more detail. The little one is in a half teaspoon of water.

Awww! :wub: So tiny and extremely cute already! I can't wait to see how they grow up. Both parents are beauties! :) Good luck.

Thank you!! I'm excited to see how they grow as well :)

The little guys will be ten days old tomorrow! I decided to give the Marina hang on breeder box a try. It's a half gallon and when attached to an air pump circulates water from the tank through the fry box. These guys are still a bit small so I don't have the function running but I think it will be a neat contraption.

38zc.jpg

ry4g.jpg

He thought the bubble was food :heart

sbt6.jpg

^this shot is from below! Look at that full tummy!

7yws.jpg

Everyone is happy and healthy. They've been in prazi the whole time and the main tank is being prazi'd as well.

Aw, congratulations! They're going to get cuter and cuter as they get bigger. :heart I just have a special place in my heart for pearlscales :D

!!!!!! How did I miss this post?!?! This is incredible!!! They are so adorable!!!! Can't wait to see them older!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

I woke up to find one very PO'd pearlscale being pushed around by the boys. However they seemed to be unsuccessful at getting the eggs out of her. So I got a bowl and hand spawned them instead. It was pretty easy because Ushi was so full of eggs that just her struggling a bit in my hand was enough to release the eggs. Then with some gentle coaxing I managed to get most of the eggs out. Both Cider and my new boy (who still does not have a name) both contributed lots of milt. (so much so that the bowl was pretty cloudy) I have her in a net box so she can get some rest since it seemed like they had been pestering her for a while before I checked on them.

null_zps4c11b223.jpg

Cider doesn't understand why he can't be with ushi :rofl

null_zpse6ba3bd7.jpg

All the eggs she had this round.

The other fry are all doing well! They're been in prazi since hatching and I haven't had any losses. They currently are eating baby brine shrimp and crushed up .5 NLS thera A.

There is a nice time difference between round 1 and round 2 :) you should be able to see a nice variety :) think there will be a round 3?

I just hope these guys are actually fertilized! and that my hands didn't crush any while trying to maneuver the fish safely. As soon as they hit the bottom they stuck so I didn't get as much swirling as I would've liked but both boys gave me so much milt I figured it might make up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a round 3, although if these all hatch I may not have room for them! It's so hard to tell when she's eggy unless the boys are chasing because she's so round that it's hard to distinguish.

your fry pics are amazing :)

I wish I could get my camera to focus on mine better ;) thanks for the updates :)

Thank you!! I use a macro lens and then I crop the images (since they're so large) so it looks better.

Posted Image

Any guesses as to whether or not they're fertilized? I'm still so bad at telling. It's been about 6-7hrs.