Pearlscale spawn!

Yesterday I came home from work to find my two pearlies had spawned. I got up as many eggs as I could not knowing if any were fertilized or not! Tonight I can home from work to over a dozen pairs of tiny eyes. I removed the icky eggs and now have around 18 little ones.

Posted Image

This will be my first real batch (as opposed to the two fry I had last spring) so I'm very excited! I hope they all develop and hatch :) ill definitely keep this thread updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!!! It's very exciting stuff. Make sure you check the tank for a couple days after they hatch. I always find fry in the tank that I must have missed during egg collection. :)

:Congrats: Momma!

I am sooo excited for you :happydance The parents are stunners so obviously the babies will be too :heart

Aww, how cute! I love watching the eggs hatch and the babies grow, it's a very exciting process! And I would definitely check the tank once the eggs you saved start hatching. When my fish spawned, I'd always find several that I had missed that had hatched in the tank.

I bet the babies will turn out beautiful with parents like those!

First fry has hatched! He struggled for an hour or two to get out of the egg completely but appears to be okay now. I got a video of him attempting to free himself (or like doing a whole bunch of nothing) :rofl

Sorry for the less than stellar quality, I was using my Iphone as my dslr doesn't have video capabilities.

I also have pictures! I hatch them in a glass specimen dish so while it is ideal for this kind of thing, it isn't the easiest to get close pictures because the glass is thick and warps the image from the side.

mkam.jpg

58w2.jpg
These two are it stuck in the egg, what a rough start!

0tae.jpg

And it's finally free.

elyl.jpg

A few siblings waiting to hatch.

:)

So far 11 have hatched! another 4-5 are nearly ready and then I have a few I'm fairly certain will not hatch as they just don't look...right. But as long as they aren't fuzzy I'll give them a chance because what the heck do I know?

b0go.jpg

This one is a neat shot because the egg 'shell' is just above the fry.

ydqd.jpg

h9rj.jpg

That's so awesome, MK!

So much for little ones not being able to spawn! :D

I know right?! they're probably both only in the upper 30g range. (I'll have to weigh them next waterchange) But many of the babies are already off the floor and clinging to the walls, so hopefully the rest hatch soon so I can get feeding! I forgot how impossibly tiny these fry are.