Well. There I go getting ideas again.

kaylaj2355

So I bought this hexagon tank thinking it was 18 gallons and I planned to move my betta and ghost shrimp from a 10 gallon to that.

Well, according to one calculator it's 38 gallons, and to another it's 28 gallons. Either way, I don't think it's 18...this thing is way bigger than I pictured! Now it seems like a LOT of space for 20-some ghost shrimp and one betta. Also, I've realized that a HUGE piece of driftwood that I bought ages ago and never thought I could use fits in it perfectly. Staring at the empty tank, I went back to a thought I've considered many times...

Crabs.

10075918474_9fb36bdc9a.jpg
10076304825_650b861525.jpg
It just seems to be dying to be a crab tank. Half-filled, heavily planted on the bottom, with the driftwood rising from the water like a sculpture. Even with as tall as the driftwood is, they probably (hopefully) wouldn't be able to climb out. If they even made it to the top, they would find a glass cover with about a 6"x2" opening that I could probably cover up if I needed to.
Does this seem feasible? Any thoughts? Suggestions on species? Things I should know about keeping crabs? I've always been interested in crabs but haven't had the space to do it right. I'm familiar with keeping shrimp but no other inverts. I would love any advice or input!!!

:rofl I don't know anything about crabs, but I like your thinking!! :thumbup2:

Also, I'm glad to see that someone else has a CL tank shopping problem hobby. :teehee

OMG it's so bad, I literally need it blocked on all my devices :rofl I think my husband is not too happy about the idea of me setting it up as a FOURTH tank in the house...so I hope crabs are manly enough to win him over. :greenbanana:

This might end up being an experiment of sorts :P

Hmmm, I'm reading from different sources on fiddler crabs and they sound promising but there also isn't tons of information on their care. Like everyone says brackish water but no measurement, so I'm curious how much salt to add. I also can't quite tell how many I could comfortably keep in this tank. Hmm!

What sort of filter would work on a tank like this? I just thought of that. A HOB wouldn't reach the water!

You would need an internal filter or a turtle canister (a small canister. :) ).

Gotcha! I wonder how much filtration I'd need? I'm looking at little internal ones and there's a little Fluval I like.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you find a different stand for it too. :P;)

Darn! I was looking forward to bouncing it up and down on the seat once a month to simulate an earthquake and remind the little guys of their mortality. I guess I'll figure out another plan!

Fiddler crabs I'm thinking so far :D Unless another species arises that sounds interesting! I probably won't be able to get this going until after the new year so I have some time to think it over!

If you keep more than one of a non-aggressive species together, just make sure to have lots of hiding space.

Those blue lobster things are kinda aggressive ;) They will latch onto anything they can reach with their claws! They are carnivores and will eat anything that dies in the tank! Need lots of brine shrimp and blood worms-frozen. I believe are a bit territorial so can only have one or two per tank. They will stay on the bottom so tank mates should be mid to top swimmers. :D

If you keep more than one of a non-aggressive species together, just make sure to have lots of hiding space.

Those blue lobster things are kinda aggressive ;) They will latch onto anything they can reach with their claws! They are carnivores and will eat anything that dies in the tank! Need lots of brine shrimp and blood worms-frozen. I believe are a bit territorial so can only have one or two per tank. They will stay on the bottom so tank mates should be mid to top swimmers. :D

Yeah, the blue crayfish are a kinda aggressive subspecies. It's a shame, because I'd love to have a blue and an orange together!

Edit: KJ, have you looked at the little purple vampire crabs on the link I gave you? They are adorable!

Edited by ChelseaM

I think your betta and shrimp would love it. Add more shrimp and maybe a couple snails.

I'm definitely still considering it! It just seems like sooo much space. I would have to capitalize on the height and plan my decor properly! I just have tons of shrimp already xD

Ah, they're awesome xD Someday I'll have to dedicate a tank to one. I think I want multiples this time though if I do a crabby species :D

You could add some tank mates in my 29 gal right now I have 1 crow tail beta , four black skirt Tetras, a lot of guppies , and some Cory cats, and a flame gourami sounds strange but this combination has worked with my betta

Edited by Gustave

In my 35 I have a Bette an angel, some upside down cats, ottos, a bn Pleco and a couple loaches with live plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm, I HAVE always wanted glass catfish...but I always pictured them in a longer tank with a current. This is a tough decision! Good thing I have time, haha. I appreciate all the input!! I love hearing about the community tanks people have.

OOOOOOOOO fiddler crabs are awesome. Everyone calls me the crab whisperer and always comes to me for crab advice because I know so much about them. Land, salt, fresh, brackish :P

Salinity for fiddlers is 1.008. I would pick up a hydrometer if you don't already have one :)

Also. Look up Halloween crabs. I think you'll change your mind ;) they're awesome :) I'm setting up a tank for 2 right now!!!

And I have my glass cats in a column tank and they do just fine :)