Quarantine new and existing goldfish?

I recently learned about the quarantine process. I currently have one ranchu, purchased one month ago in a 30 gallon tank. My tank recently cycled. I am getting an additional ryukin. My quarantine setup is a sterilite 32 quart storage tub with an air stone.

My ranchu was not quarantined or treated with aquarium salt, should I quarantine both goldfish together or only the new ryukin? Is aquarium salt effective or necessary? I plan to perform daily water change on the quarantine tank and quarantine for two weeks if separated.

Any advice or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

You should be quarantining them separately. Each fish has it's own set of possible diseases that could be transferred to the other.

You may want to treat each fish separately with Praziqantel before putting them together. Here is an article by one of our mods, Tithra, on how to quarantine.

Aquarium salt (OR Morton's Canning and Pickling salt if you want to go cheaply) is recommended when dosing Praziquantel. It aids in the healing process after the Prazi kills the flukes.

Quarantine should last at least four to six weeks, depending on how many rounds of Prazi you do.

Thanks chelsem and fantailfan1.

Will prazi or aquarium salt kill off beneficial bacteria? I transferred one of my anubia plant and some river rocks from the main tank into the quarantine tub. Is that ok?

Neither Prazi or aquarium salt will affect your BB. If your fish that you have in the main tank has any sort of disease, then you may have just transferred some of it to the QT tank . . . .

Also I *think* anubias will do OK with 0.1% salt but if you go any higher I'd remove them. (If anubias won't do OK in salt, please let us know someone.)

I would not transfer anything from you main tank to the quarantine tub. The purpose of quarantine is to completely isolate the fish from each other.

Anubias will do just fine with 0.1% salt. :)

I would not transfer anything from you main tank to the quarantine tub. The purpose of quarantine is to completely isolate the fish from each other.

Anubias will do just fine with 0.1% salt. :)

Thanks Chelsea. I thought so but wanted to make sure. :D

You've already gotten great advice :) This is explained in the article chelsea linked, but I want to emphasize that you should really do a minimum of a 4 week QT for your new rain garden fish. 2 weeks is generally not long enough for all potential problems to present themselves.

Also, I would recommend picking up some kanaplex or triple sulfa to have on hand just in case. It is unlikely that you will need a waterborne antibiotic, but they are good to have on hand just in case as opposed to waiting for them to ship if you can't find them locally. The other thing that can be good to have on hand is metro meds from goldfish connection http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=9&catId=5 Again, unlikely that you will need them, but it is one of those things that if you ever do need them, it's better to not have to wait for them to ship.

Please feel free to start a thread when you start the QT :) we would be happy to help you along.

My ryukin will probably arrive tomorrow. I will remove everthing, wash it with hot water, and add new water. Hopefully, I did not contaminate it.

Can salt and prazi be given at the same time? If I accidentally give more than 3% salt, will it kill the fish? The tub is about 2/3 filled and its hard to determine the exact number of gallons.

In regard to water change and dosing prime, I currently add a cap full into the tank after a percentage of water is removed then add tap water via the python. Is this ok? My local fish store said to use a bucket add clean water, mix with prime before adding into the tank.

Tithra, your videos are excellent. They renewed my interest in goldfish which lead me here and started the 30 gallon tank. Thank you!

Yes, salt and Prazi can be used at the same time. If you are double dosing Prazi, then salt to 0.3%. If you're single dosing Prazi, salt to 0.1%.

Yes, you can add prime directly to the tank and fill with a Python. Dose for the full gallon age of the tank, not just what you're changing out. That seems to be what you are doing. :)

And yes, tithra and her fish are awesome!! We are lucky to have her. :clapping:

My ryukin will probably arrive tomorrow. I will remove everthing, wash it with hot water, and add new water. Hopefully, I did not contaminate it.

Can salt and prazi be given at the same time? If I accidentally give more than 3% salt, will it kill the fish? The tub is about 2/3 filled and its hard to determine the exact number of gallons.

In regard to water change and dosing prime, I currently add a cap full into the tank after a percentage of water is removed then add tap water via the python. Is this ok? My local fish store said to use a bucket add clean water, mix with prime before adding into the tank.

Tithra, your videos are excellent. They renewed my interest in goldfish which lead me here and started the 30 gallon tank. Thank you!

If the fish does not demonstrate obvious symptoms of flukes, it's a good idea to start with a week of just .3% salt at first. If you accidentally add a bit more, it will not kill your fish, but you want to be as accurate as you can, .1% is 1 tsp per gallon of coarse grain salt, or 3/4 tsp of fine grained salt (if using store bought salt as opposed to aquarium salt just make sure it has no additives or anti caking agents), you can also weigh out the salt if you have a scale, .1% would be 1 gram per liter. When you do your water changes, add back in the amount of salt you took out (for example, if you added 30 tsp of salt and you do a 50% water change you want to add back in 15 tsp of salt to bring it back to 30)

If you wanted to get an accurate read on the tub, you could always use a gallon water jug to fill it the first time (or 5 gallon bucket) and count how many gallons, then use a marker to mark the water line so that you know the amount to fill to etc.

After a week at .3%, drop the salt level to .1% and begin prazi treatment. You should do 4-6 rounds of prazi. The salt is used alongside prazi in order to prevent infection of the micro 'wounds' flukes can leave.

If you are using a python you want to dose the full tank volume of prime regardless of how much water you took out, then add the water straight from the tap. This is fine. The majority of people here, including myself do it this way, and seachem recommends this on their website :)

Also, remember not to feed right away, give him/her at least a day to acclimate before introducing any food.

Congrats on the new fish! Please do post some pics when you get him/her :) And I'm very happy to hear my videos were helpful and led you here! :D that is the goal!

EDIT: posted at the same time as Lisa ;)

Also, if you are doing daily 100% WCs or daily WCs of any kind, make sure to replace the amount of Prazi you took out with the water. Only do this the first three to four days of each round. This is done to make sure there is an adequate resting period in-between so that the remaining fluke eggs can hatch.

Looks complicated. Goldfish connection has powder prazi. Is it available on amazon? I have prime membership. Also is liquid prazi easier/better than powder? Will do. Tried to upload tank pic but dont know how.

Looks complicated. Goldfish connection has powder prazi. Is it available on amazon? I have prime membership. Also is liquid prazi easier/better than powder? Will do. Tried to upload tank pic but dont know how.

Just looked at the link again and I meant to say I prefer the first schedule (the 5 day one) ;)

It's not complicated. Because you are going to be doing daily water changes, the schedule will be a little different for you. Here's the 5 day schedule for you:

Day 1: add salt and prazi

Day 2: water change, add back in salt and prazi

Day 3: water change, add back in salt and prazi

Day 4: water change, add back in salt (do not add prazi)

Day 5: water change, add back in salt (do not add prazi)

--- this is the end of your first round. Round 2:

Day 6: water change, add salt and prazi

Day 7: water change, add back in salt and prazi

Day 8: water change, add back in salt and prazi

Day 9: water change, add back in salt (do not add prazi)

Day 10: water change, add back in salt (do not add prazi)

---- this is the end of round 2

Continue this schedule until you have done a minimum of 4-6 rounds.

Liquid prazi tends to be preferred only because the powder can apparently be difficult to mix, but either is fine.

Hikari prazipro is what you want for the liquid one. Our site sponsor carries it cheaper than amazon and has flat rate shipping http://tastyworms.com/aquarium-solutions-prazipro.html but you can find it on amazon as well if you prefer ;) The 4oz should be enough for what you are doing I believe. It has a long shelf life after it is open so it can be a good thing to have around.

For pics you just need to create an account with a photo hosting site like photobucket. Upload your pics to that site, grab the link and paste it into your topic here (you can use the icon in the reply menu that looks like a little picture, paste the link there and it will show up in your post)

I've used both liquid (PraziPro) and the powder form from GFC. The main difference is the powder form you have to shake vigorously for 2 or 5 minutes or something like that. They are both praziquantel. Either one is fine.

PraziPro is available on amazon or you could check out our sponsor Tastyworms.com. :)

You can upload pics via photobucket.com. If you don't have a membership, it's free and easy. Even I figured it out. :rofl. Give it a try and if you're stumped, let us know and we can guide you. :D

Edit. Jess beat me to it. :rofl.

Edited by fantailfan1

You all are so helpful. Purchased 2x Repashy powder from Tastyworms last week since amazon didn't have super green. William, my Ranchu seem to like them. He eats everything. Well, I ordered liquid prazi from amazon. I will give to both fishes. I already have api aquarium salt. good night.

You all are so helpful. Purchased 2x Repashy powder from Tastyworms last week since amazon didn't have super green. William, my Ranchu seem to like them. He eats everything. Well, I ordered liquid prazi from amazon. I will give to both fishes. I already have api aquarium salt. good night.

Once you are finished with the API salt, grab some regular salt from the grocery store that has no additives or anti caking agents, it is much cheaper than buying salt specifically made for aquarium use. Many people here use Morton's canning and pickling salt, it comes in a green box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

i started prazi and .1% salt tonight. Dissolving 30 tsp of api salt for my main tank seems impossible. I need smaller grain of salt. Is Mortons canning and pickling salt easier to dissolve? Can I give 1st dose of praszi for main tank without salt?

i started prazi and .1% salt tonight. Dissolving 30 tsp of api salt for my main tank seems impossible. I need smaller grain of salt. Is Mortons canning and pickling salt easier to dissolve? Can I give 1st dose of praszi for main tank without salt?

I don't know that it's easier, but it certainly is much cheaper. :)

(It might be easier to dissolve as well, since it's a small grain salt.)

You can of course just put the salt in a nylon stocking/panty hose, and hang it in the aquarium to slowly dissolve. It's the best way, actually. :)

Thanks dnalex. Purchased Mortons canning n pickling salt from Walmart today for $1.44. It dissolved quicker but still took time. Tomorrow I will just boil a small pot of water add salt and let it cool.

Salt is a (*&^%$ to dissolve in cold water. Buy a small bottle (16 oz.) of spring water. Drink the water. Fill it 1/3 with warm tap water. Put in your salt. Shake like Elvis. Should dissolve with about 2 minutes of moderate shaking.

Let it cool for a few with the cap off.