White Spots, Torn Fins

FishyMandy

• Supporter

It seems I'm just having one problem after another lately :(

5/6 My fish have slight tears in their tail fins. Bamboo's are the worst. He has a few, while the others only have one or two tiny ones.

Cali has a white spot on her head, when it first appeared it seemed to have fluffy stringy bit hanging off of it, but that has gone now.

Tiger has some raised white bumps on his tail - he is the one without any tears at all though.

Abraham and Bamboos tails are kind of kinked,

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? Unknown
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallons/300 litres, a few years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? At the moment I only have a cannister running since I'm trying to fix my others, it does 2200lph
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 60-80%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago, 100% (We moved the tanks)
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 Goldfish, between 2-6 inches without tails Also a zebra danio and an unknown fish that I got before I knew goldfish would eat them :P They are the last survivors and have been there for bout 2 years now.
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pellets, 1-2 times a day.
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Honey is the only one who has treatment, she had Epsom Salt, Metro and Melafix over the course of about a month.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody Streaks in Abraham and Bamboos Tails, worse in Bamboo. White spots on Tigers tail and Cali's head.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
    • Incase its needed, things I have here are metro, Epsom Salt, Prazi (though I only have a small lot, I couldnt afford the big one), Aquarium salt, a small amount of melafix and a small amount of Pimafix

Photos:

tumblr_mu2pmtvx621s9f3muo1_500.jpg

Cali's Spot

tumblr_mu2pmtvx621s9f3muo2_1280.jpg

Tigers Tail

tumblr_mu2pmtvx621s9f3muo3_1280.jpg

Bamboos Tail

Sorry, the other fish weren't being cooperative. i thought I might have had water issues since one of my filters is having problems, but as you can see the results came back good. They are all acting perfectly fine. No flashing, floating, sitting, gulping etc.

• Supporter

I don't have plants :) Do I have to use aquarium salt or can I use something else? Only asking because it's so expensive and I only have a small box, and it takes almost the whole lot to salt to 0.1% lol.

• Supporter

I've been sick since making this post, so I haven't started any treatments yet. I am hoping to start tomorrow. I know I'll need another bottle of prazi but I had some other questions.

Will Honey be ok with using Salt, given her previous problem with the fluid retention/infection?

Thread here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112096-honeys-eye-is-swollen-and-droopy/

If Salt isn't advisable for her should I do it without salt or treat her separately?

If I use Salt what alternatives can I use apart from Aquarium salt? It's really expensive and will take almost all of the small box to salt my tank to 0.1%

Mandy,

You can use any salt (sodium chloride) that does not have additives. You should NOT buy aquarium salt, because it's really marked up, for no reason whatsoever. Head to your supermarket, and look for pickling salts. :)

I think 0.1% salt should be fine for everyone.

• Supporter

Bringing this up again, sorry.

But how many rounds should I do? I need to figure out my funds for how much more prazi to buy

I have 20 tablets left and the bottle I have says to use 1 tablet per 20 litres, so for my tank that would be 15 tablets.

There is only one store I've found it in here and it was about $23 for a bottle of 25 tablets, the bottle of 100 was about $85 :S

I have Blue Planet Fluke/Tapeworm Tablets, which have 100mg of Praziquantel per tablet.

The bottle itself says to repeat dosage after 7 days and that's it, so I'm wondering whether it's best to go with that (which would mean I'd only need to scrape up enough for one more bottle) or whether to follow the schedule for Prazi Pro. I don't think we have Prazipro in Australia.

And ugh I feel really bad I haven't started this yet :( This week has really thrown me. Too much going on for my head to deal with :(

I'm sorry you are having to deal with all these things! Hang in there! :hug

I'd like for you to do at least 2 rounds, although it might be good to do more. You've talked to Helen before, right? Why don't you PM/email her and ask her about where she gets her prazi, etc. :)

Let's do the one round with what you have. That already should help. :)

• Supporter

blue planet prazi is exactly the same as the aquamaster prazi only that blue planet brand is wwaaaaay cheaper.. so you can use both brands exactly the same way..

Mandy did PM me Alex, on your instruction. however, other than the API Aquarium Salt, I have not found anything else safe to use. the API Aquarium salt I buy is sold in 65OZ cartons which is just less than 2 kilos.. or a 4 kilo Aqua Master Aquarium salt bag.

the alternative is, if you have a pond shop near by or if you LFS caters for ponds, they may have larger quantities of salt available for ponds, which in the end works out cheaper for you. as it doesn't go off, you can store it longterm and just use from your 'stash'..

with those links I PM'd you.. remember, the second being reasonable on the post? here's a good deal on 4kg of salt.. you can order the blue planet fluke & tapeworm tablets at the same time (both are well under the 20kilo low post cost of $7.95?) this should make both products worthwhile purchasing online.

http://lealean.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9885&utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Pet+Supplies&utm_term=APS+Aquarium+Salt+bag+4+kg

• Supporter

Hi so Tomorrow will be 5 days since I added the Prazi, If I don't do a waterchange tomorrow it will be very hard to squeeze one in until next thursday :( I haven't being able to afford any more Prazi or salt yet.

I have seen improvement though.

I'm guessing its better to do the water change tomorrow and then when I can get the Prazi and Salt do it again?