Update on the refurbished Betta planted tank.

scurrie

So a little less than a month ago, I redid my 5.5 gal betta tank. Seen here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113340-tank-refurbished/

And here is the comparison of the tank from that day, until today:

Then:

996867_10201791884776081_933322705_n.jpg

Now:

1374371_10201791880935985_753163507_n.jp

ANYBODY want some rotala :P The plant growth in the month has really surprised me. I've never had huge luck with plants and now all the sudden I have a tiny underwater garden and

Along with the tiny black betta (good luck finding him, I only know where he is because I saw him before I snapped the photo, if you can find him, you're awesome) I've added 3 long fin cherry barbs, and a SNAIL!!! :D The snail is the greatest, only because, they are illegal where I live, but I found a shop that sells them. I had actually never even SEEN a live freshwater snail before I found him. He's in the right hand corner, he's a zebra snail.

I got the barbs and the snail for the algae that grows in there, the barbs were doing really well with the hair algae so I decided to find something for the rest of the algae, and then came Marcel the snail. The barbs have been in there a week and a half and they keep to themselves, swimming in their little red school through the water. This is slowly becoming a favorite tank of mine. I don't know why, its so simple, but I love it.

Thanks for reading!

Beautiful tank :)

Barbs are notorious nippers :o Keep an eye out for Mr Black betta's fins!

The plants look amazing!! :D Is the betta in the top left hand corner? I love that your snail is illegal :rofl way to go finding him! :D

Edited by Mernany

You can see his outline kinda :teehee On the left side, you just see a big black mass in the shape of a betta blending in with the side. That's him. Black betta in a black and green planted tank = hard to find him 99% of the time. I always after to look for a minute or two until he comes out to see me. Oh yes, me and my little illegal snail :D I hate the illegal list in Maine, because, the snails could be legal! But the list was made over 10 years ago and the snails were never put on the legal list so that makes them illegal. So frustrating. :madrant

Sierra, that is fabulous. I really want to do something like this. Your nerite looks like mine. The cannot be sold by stores legally here but individuals can own them and trade them around. We have one and I really want more.

Wow--just lovely! What kind of weath is that? Where did you get it?

It's just all kinds of java fern with a lava rock and some vine like wood! I got it at my work (PetCo). :)

Lovely! I agree with dan, cut the rotala and replant the tops, rotala is great for making little bushes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could just cut the tops off and replant them?!?! Jungle here I come. :D

And thank you!

Lovely! I agree with dan, cut the rotala and replant the tops, rotala is great for making little bushes :)

I could just cut the tops off and replant them?!?! Jungle here I come. :D

And thank you!

Yep! The tops will root and become new plants and where you cut them will sprout two new shoots from the top. This sort of trimming will eventually give you a bushy look. I would recommend that when you cut the tops leave only about 1-1.5 inches of the lower stem, this will give you a better look as it grows out. You can also cut the tops into multiple pieces and plant if you want all stems to be about the same length :) this is the beauty of stem plants, one stem can quickly be propagated into many!

Uh oh. I got another plant. And I decided to try the rotala cutting. On the left side it's not cut, on the right side, you can see the little sprig I put in the middle. It looks like a jumbled mess right now. But I just did a water change and added 2 more pounds of gravel :P I rearranged a couple of things. My glass catfish LOVE this tank. Way more than the column. They used to hide a lot in the column. Now there are even more hiding spots, and they choose right in the front. The snail gave me a heart attack tonight. I'm so attached to him and I accidentally buried him in the new gravel and then had to dig him out and I thought I killed him. He was hanging half out of his shell and not moving. So I laid him down, turned out the light and not even a minute later he was back to running (yes I mean running) around the tank. Crazy nerite. Anyway! I can't stop adding plants to this darn tank. I just love it. Posted Image

:thumbs:

Looking good. Those snails are pretty darn hardy. One of mine got out of my tank and I found it in my little dogs mouth. :rofl

The snail was just fine, by the way.

BAHAHAHAHAH! That's hilarious. I thought for sure he was dead. He was being dramatic. Rude snail. But thanks!