• * Ammonia Level: 0-0.5
  • * Nitrite Level (Tank): 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank: 6.8-7.2
  • * Chlorine/ Chloramine: 0
    • * Brand of test-kit: Petsmart in store test, strips
    • * Water temperature: Unknown
    • * Tank size: 10 gal
    • how long has it been running: 11 months
    • What is the name and "size of the filter": Aqueon "quietflow 10", 10-20gal
    • * How often do you change the water: 20% every week
  • * Last water change: 2 days ago, changed 4 gallons
  • * How many fish: 1 fancy goldfish, about 2.5 inches, including tail
  • * Water additives: dechlorinator w/ every water change
  • * Feeding: Flakes, 1x a day
  • * New fish: No
  • * Medications: No
  • * 1 week ago, I added 3 tbsp epsom salt to tank, cycled water out by 20% daily after that. 2 days ago, put fish in salt dip, 1 gal/3 tbsp epsom salt. Neither helped.
  • * Not that I can see, however, I am unexperienced and not sure what to look for, I've included a picture of the fish.

• * My fish (Samuel) stopped swimming about 1 month ago. He will move around occasionally, but mostly stay still on the bottom of the tank. I literally have not seen him eat or poop within the last month or so, yet he is still alive (somehow). He has never eaten boiled, shelled peas, even before this problem, and I've also tried feeding him spinach, he didn't show interest in either. He sat on the bottom for so long he got a sore on his belly, so I put him in a hanging basket within the tank. The sore appears to be gone now. He will occasionally swim up to the surface, poke his nose out, and sink back down. He ignores all food. Help!!! Not sure what to do!

Picture here----> http://www.flickr.com/photos/104054915@N06/10058246633/

Edited by bhansen

Too bad.

I'm sure someone who has more experience then I will provide good advice for you.

Until then, hang in there.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Yes, hang in there!! Good luck, Samuel!! :)

Was the Epsom put in before he began showing this behavior? That is a very large amount of Epsom and may be making him feel unwell. Have you added the Epsom back with each water change?

Do you have a way to get the API Freshwater Master Kit for yourself? It would be helpful to know all of the parameters.

I hope he feels better.

Could you explain why you added epson salts?

That is quite a bit of epsom for a 10 gallon. Is there epsom in the tank currently?

Could you please:

1. Test your tap pH level

2. Get a nitrate reading for your tank. You can either bring a sample of your water to be tested for free at a pet store (write down exact numbers, don't let them say it's 'fine'), however if you have funds available it would be great if you could get the API master freshwater test kit. It is a drop test kit. It's a little more expensive than the strips, but it is more accurate and will last you way longer so it is cheaper than the strips in the long run. It also comes with everything you need including the nitrate test.

3. Please get us a video of him swimming outside of the colander if possible, with a close up on his mouth in the video at some point

Some Questions:

1. Has his gill always been curled back?

2. What about the shape of his body and tail, it looks to have a curve to it, is that new or always been that way since you got him?

3. Can you see him opening his mouth at all?

4. Does he ever attempt to eat food (and spit it out) or does he ignore it completely?

I used epsom salt because I suspected constipation to be the cause of his behavior. I dosed the 3 tbsp a little over a week ago and have not added any more, so with the water changes I have done, there should be very little, if any, salt left.

Could you please:

1. Test your tap pH level

2. Get a nitrate reading for your tank. You can either bring a sample of your water to be tested for free at a pet store (write down exact numbers, don't let them say it's 'fine'), however if you have funds available it would be great if you could get the API master freshwater test kit. It is a drop test kit. It's a little more expensive than the strips, but it is more accurate and will last you way longer so it is cheaper than the strips in the long run. It also comes with everything you need including the nitrate test.

3. Please get us a video of him swimming outside of the colander if possible, with a close up on his mouth in the video at some point

Some Questions:

1. Has his gill always been curled back?

2. What about the shape of his body and tail, it looks to have a curve to it, is that new or always been that way since you got him?

3. Can you see him opening his mouth at all?

4. Does he ever attempt to eat food (and spit it out) or does he ignore it completely?

1. I will attempt to test my tap PH tomorrow.

2. Nitrate level: 0

3. Video:

-He doesn't swim around, he's like that all the time now. If you bother him, he'll move, but he will just sink down to the bottom and stay like this.

4. I have not noticed that until now. Thinking back, I don't believe his gill was always so curled back. I'm not sure when that happened or appeared though.

5. It may have just been the picture or the way he was laying. Maybe you can tell by the video, but I don't notice a curve.

6. I don't see his mouth open too much. If he's disturbed, he'll open it a little more as he moves away, but resting, I don't notice it.

7. He doesn't even attempt to eat the food.

Thank you everyone for the help and well-wishes!!!

Edited by bhansen

Could you do me a favor and lift him out of the water a bit with his head tilted back back a bit and see if he opens his mouth on his own? (if he is able to open his mouth, this should make him instinctively open his mouth)

I am wondering if his mouth has become fused and he is unable to volitionally open it at this point.

Could you do me a favor and lift him out of the water a bit with his head tilted back back a bit and see if he opens his mouth on his own? (if he is able to open his mouth, this should make him instinctively open his mouth)

I am wondering if his mouth has become fused and he is unable to volitionally open it at this point.

Ok, so I tried as best as I could to do this, honestly, it's so hard to see if he is opening his mouth or just moving the area. He definitely doesn't open it like other goldfish I've seen. Here is a video, although I apologize, my camera couldn't focus up close. I'm not sure weather this will be much help. Thank you for your advice and effort, I really don't know what to do at this point, I don't want to lose him!!

Actually upon further inspection with a light on his mouth, I don't think it does open! Again, I'm a newbie, so I took a video to see if you can confirm this. If this is the case, how do I fix that???

Also, I did some reading on

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113270-not-eating-not-even-opening-mouth-and-mostly-bottom-sitting/page-2?hl=+mouth%20+fused

and decided to try a salt dip with the 30tsp/gal, because he is definitely not opening his mouth (the first time I did the dip, I was misinformed and only put 3tbsp/gal). He did fine, and during those 5 minutes, he opened his mouth 10 times. Since finishing the dip and putting him back in his tank, however, I have not seen him open up once. Thoughts??

I think you should be careful about trying to treat your fish without the support form the Mods. It's a good idea to wait for their approval before doing something, as rushing treatment sometimes can do more harm than good. The Mods are very knowledgeable and you can trust in that they are doing what they can for you and your fish. I know it's difficult to feel like you're sitting around "doing nothing" while waiting for someone on a forum to write in your topic, but it is necessary.

Before treating anything, one should generally be sure what they're trying to treat, otherwise one might end up hurting the fish. Please stay calm and wait for the mods to decide the right course of action. It's great that you're doing research, but it would be a good idea to post your findings and get mod-support before starting treatment. :)

I really hope they can help you save your fish. Just give them a little more time to figure things out. :)

Also, I did some reading on

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113270-not-eating-not-even-opening-mouth-and-mostly-bottom-sitting/page-2?hl=+mouth%20+fused

and decided to try a salt dip with the 30tsp/gal, because he is definitely not opening his mouth (the first time I did the dip, I was misinformed and only put 3tbsp/gal). He did fine, and during those 5 minutes, he opened his mouth 10 times. Since finishing the dip and putting him back in his tank, however, I have not seen him open up once. Thoughts??

Unfortunately it does look like what is going on with your fish is similar to what happened with the fish in the thread you linked. As I said in that thread this mouth issue is often thought to be caused by heavy fluke infestation at a young age, leading to permanent mouth deformities eventually.

Unfortunately, chances of recovery are slim but the fact that he was able to open his mouth during the dip is hopeful. Here's what I would like you to do if you are up for it:

1. Get a syringe from your local pharmacy and begin syringe feeding him a mix of food/water. I'm on my phone and can't directly link you the video now but I believe there is a video on how to do this in the link you posted above.

2. Do another salt dip tomorrow and let us know how it goes

3. Order some prazipro (you can get this from our site sponsor for a good price tasty worms.com

Please update when you've tried the syringe feeding and let us know if you have questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any updates on your fish? were you able to syringe feed?

any updates on your fish? were you able to syringe feed?

Hi! Sorry, I've been insanely busy these last two weeks.

So, I'm on a tight, post-college budget and didn't want to pay shipping for Prazipro, so I bought API General Cure for parasitic fish diseases, including flukes. It has 75mg of praziquantel per packet (I did the 2 packet treatment cycle). I also got a syringe and have been attempting to syringe feed, however, even when I try to gently open Samuel's mouth with the syringe, he won't open. I don't know if he gets any nutrition from any of the food leaking into his mouth when it's closed, but I've been trying. I also did another salt dip before I started the treatment.

I have seen little to no improvement. It may be my imagination, but me mayyyyy seem a LITTLE more active, but Samuel is still bottom-sitting. I have not seen him open his mouth since that first salt dip. =(

Is he likely in pain? What would you suggest? It's been about 2.5-3 months that he's been sick, I have NO clue how he is still living, being as I never see him eat.