Can you feed Hikari Lionhead food to Ryukins?

Dennis

I have 2 Ryukins that eat Hikari Wheat Germ.

It's a floating type so I have to soak them and then press them out. But pressing them out causes the water to go dirty because of all the small bits that fall off. And so I want to move to the Lionhead because it's a sinking variety.

Is it ok to feed them Lionhead food? It will not cause their heads to grow big will it? Because the description says "Promotes head growth"

They only sell this ($10) and the Wheat Germ ($5) especially for goldfish at the pet store.

Also, they weigh 40g and 42g. So how much should I feed them? About 0.4 grams?

That would be about 30-40 pellets each.

Usually I just give them 15 pellets each because they begin eating very slow after the 12th but according to the 1% rule I'm under feeding them?

Soaking the fish food makes them more heavy. So should I soak 70-80 pellets and feed them over a period of 30 minutes or what should I do?

Yes, you can most definitely feed them lionhead :). It's a very good food and mine if my fish are floaty at all in it! And no, it won't cause their head to grow. :teehee the "head growth" is the wen on ranchu, lionheads, orandas and it promotes the growth of it :). I'm not good at food calculations. :peeka someone will be able to help you with that :)

Yes, you can most definitely feed them lionhead :). It's a very good food and mine if my fish are floaty at all in it! And no, it won't cause their head to grow. :teehee the "head growth" is the wen on ranchu, lionheads, orandas and it promotes the growth of it :). I'm not good at food calculations. :peeka someone will be able to help you with that :)

Thank you Mickey :) Yes it looks like a good food, so I want to transfer to that when I'm half way done with the Wheat Germ Pack. Will keep that to switch the food around a bit to give them variety. Plus so much easier to just have the sinking variety!

I feed the Lionhead to all of my goldfish and they do very well on it. You don't have to pre-soak it as long as it sinks immediately (which mine does). It is also very clean and will only promote head growth in varieties such as Lionheads, Orandas and Ranchus.

As for the 1% rule, I think that is total food per day. So you would want to divide you estimate of 30-40 pellets into like 3 smaller meals of 10-13 pellets. And if you are feeding other foods such as frozen, gel, etc, then you would reduce the amount of pellets.

I also use the brands Mikey mentioned plus New Life Spectrum 1mm Goldfish Formula. The only one that I have had "floaty" issues with is Pro Gold. And that was only with one out of my four fish.

Edited by jmetzger72

Thank you Jmetz!

I'm going to the mall tomorrow to buy the lionhead food.

So It means I must have been under feeding my goldfish! I will now feed them twice a day and try to get closer to the 1% rule.

Thank you so much!