Sign in to follow this  
Maroula

Substrate and river rocks confusion

Hi! I'm in the process of changing my tank completely over. I have gravel that I am getting rid of thankfully, I dislike it immensely.

I have read about river rocks and have some from Michaels Craft store that I used as a base for my Tillandsia and I have extra. I was wondering if I can use the bigger ones as accent rocks?

Also I was looking into getting the CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand and actually picked up a bag, but now I am not sure if it's the right one. I picked up The CarbSea Super Naturals where Tahitian Moon is checked off on the back (I am assuming now it is referring to color?). But there was also CaribSea Instant Aquarium in a black color, I did not pick up that bag to look at it as I thought I had the correct one.

make sure the river rocks arent polished at all, and boil them first.

that sounds like the right sand hun :)

This is what my rocks look like:

rocks1.jpg

rocks2.jpg

Ok, I wasn't sure about the TMS becuase it appears finer than what some people describe. So what is the difference between the Instant Aquarium and the Super Naturals that I have?

This is what my rocks look like:

rocks1.jpg

rocks2.jpg

Ok, I wasn't sure about the TMS becuase it appears finer than what some people describe. So what is the difference between the Instant Aquarium and the Super Naturals that I have?

I would for sure boil those just to be sure :) I don't know anything about the sand though sorry :(

Lovely river rocks :D

Instant Aquarium

"Condition and cycle new setups with beautiful Instant Aquarium substrate. Setting up and decorating a successful freshwater aquarium is now easier than before. These unique substrates jumpstart the cycling process with live water-purifying bacteria contained in each water-packed bag. Instant Aquarium substrates are pH neutral and will not increase aquarium carbonate hardness. Unique grain size resists collection of detritus, fish waste or food within the substrate bed. Available in a variety of natural gravels and sands to enhance the look and function of freshwater aquariums. Ideal for use with most freshwater aquarium setups. Detoxifies metals, eliminates ammonia, neutralizes chlorine and chloramine and provides a protective slime coat for stressed fish. Also reduces nitrite and nitrate. Contains no artificial dyes or paints. "

So you dont need that one if your tank is already cycled,

Well, duh, I skimmed over that and didn't realize that's what it meant. :doh11:

Stupid ADD and the distraction of all the pretty fish! lol :rofl2

Well, duh, I skimmed over that and didn't realize that's what it meant. :doh11:

Stupid ADD and the distraction of all the pretty fish! lol :rofl2

:thumbup2:

Your river rock's are very pretty.

Have fun with your redecoration, Margie. :)

The instant substrate is wet, and doesn't need rinsing. The other stuff does.

Have fun with your redecoration, Margie. :)

The instant substrate is wet, and doesn't need rinsing. The other stuff does.

Oooh, I beg to differ!! I used the TMS (wet) without rinsing it and it took a WEEK for the dust to settle! I was very sorry I hadn't rinsed it. Fortunately my fish were still in their 55 so I could wait a week.

Ok placed sand in the tank after rinsing a lot and everything looks good. :) Took forever to clean the tank, the water changer did not fit on my kitchen sink, but since I started I wanted to finish. I'll look for an adapter another day.

Does anyone know how long to boil the rocks for? Just til boiling...5 mins...10 mins...?

I also had a silk plant that I didn't like before with Comet since he was so big, but I think I am going to cut it in half, and place half on one side and half on the other. :undecided:

Sounds fab! Post pics :)

Lol, yes Aubrey...the requisite pics as soon as I am done fiddling with the tank. :fishtank

Pictures!