Setting up a fry tank

Hannee

So it looks like one of my guppies is pregnant and I think the father was my oldest male who recently passed away sadly so I've decided to set up a small tank to give the fry a fighting chance without hungry angels hunting them down! But my problem is that I'm not sure how long she has left so I need to start up a new tank on the rush. I've bought a new sponge filter (never had/used one before) should I start running it in my current tank and then add it to the new tank, would that jump start the cycling quick enough? Also how long should I leave it in the tank?

Thanks in advance

• Admin

So it looks like one of my guppies is pregnant and I think the father was my oldest male who recently passed away sadly so I've decided to set up a small tank to give the fry a fighting chance without hungry angels hunting them down! But my problem is that I'm not sure how long she has left so I need to start up a new tank on the rush. I've bought a new sponge filter (never had/used one before) should I start running it in my current tank and then add it to the new tank, would that jump start the cycling quick enough? Also how long should I leave it in the tank?

Thanks in advance

Yup if your going to use a sponge filter get it in the tank now... is the gravity spot big and black now.. can you get some photos? Do you have some plants ? that will hang at the top or very bushy ones at the bottom?

Okay, sponge filter is in. I do have alot of plants in there none of which could be classed really as 'bushy' and none floating and I also have gouramis and clown loaches in there who constantly rummage through most of the plants. I do have some elodea I could use to float in a corner :hummm

Yes she does have the big black spot and these are the best I could do for photos, apparently her nor my camera wanted to co-operate

DSC_1113.jpg

DSC_1142.jpg

• Admin

If your pet store carries them you could also get one of those separated breeding boxes

i dont use them at all..

sponge ...let it be till about a week if you can...just incase she goes in the night, make sure you got floating plants

If your pet store carries them you could also get one of those separated breeding boxes

I do have various breeding boxes, mesh and slotted types (from previous guppy breeding) but I've found them more a hindrance then a help

• Admin

I do have various breeding boxes, mesh and slotted types (from previous guppy breeding) but I've found them more a hindrance then a help

:bingo:

I think you should set it up now with some of the aquarium water.

Usually when I buy guppies from the market, they have quite large gravity spots already (all females sold like that) and the next day after I put them in the pond, they give birth. I think by transferring the guppy to the fry tank for the night, with some plants, will induce this same thing.

This is just from experience. You don't need to take my suggestions because I'm not an expert on guppies.

I think you should set it up now with some of the aquarium water.

Usually when I buy guppies from the market, they have quite large gravity spots already (all females sold like that) and the next day after I put them in the pond, they give birth. I think by transferring the guppy to the fry tank for the night, with some plants, will induce this same thing.

This is just from experience. You don't need to take my suggestions because I'm not an expert on guppies.

That's something to defiantly think about but she's not that very big at the moment and I'd rather not try to induce her or stress her out too much incase it impacts on the babies.

Depending if she is a large female length that can get very big but if they are small in length mine tend to not by as big and never use the gravid spot as guidance unless it's as a last resort

It looks like she's getting very close to giving birth, she's started hiding herself within plants and slowing down. The sponge filter has only been in there for 4 days and I'm a little worried that won't cut it :/

• Admin

The four days will be fine. As fry, they will produce little waste and allow for the sponge filter to catch up.

Congrats and good luck ;)

:bingo:

I think your about time to move her over hun :)

Well after a long night of her looking like she was about to drop, her first baby was born at 7.03am (which I managed to watch!) and she finished at around midday. All babies are the same size and all are swimming very well. I'm not sure on head count but it's somewhere between 35 and 45. I couldn't be happier!

DSC_1166_zpsd1285001.jpg

IMG_20131002_155501_zpsa5887b1a.jpg

Edited by Hannee