Males chasing female, female not laying any eggs

Kittycat

I have one female pearlscale in a tank with, apparently, four males. Earlier this summer, in June and July, she spawned and had a total of four batches of eggs, spawning every week or so for a month. For the last couple of days this week, the male fish have been chasing her, but I haven't seen one egg. With that many males, there are at least one, usually two, and sometimes all four chasing her at all times. I ended up taking her out and putting her in a separate tank for a day for rest. I put her back in the tank yesterday to see if she would lay any eggs, or if the males would leave her alone. They were still very interested in their only lady love, to say the least, and after several hours of this, there were still no eggs, so I ended up having to take her out again.

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to lay eggs? She has floaty issues from time to time, and I do not want her to get impacted eggs, but I also don't want her to get beat up by those overly affectionate boys. She's already missing some scales from the male fish's affections :(

Right now she is in a tank with her three children, while the bachelors have their big tank all to themselves . . . .

• Supporter

you can try feeding her half a pea with an Epsom granule stuffed in it. it acts as a strong laxative and helps relieve blockages of any sort from their tract, male or female. you can do this once in the morning, once in the evening and stop there. observe for eggs or egg binding poop.

Aww too much love for the lovely lady!! I hope she releases eggs and they give her some rest! I've been trying to sex mine two as I have 2 confirmed males and 1 female as well as two unknowns that just hang around waiting for the eggs :P I'm hoping one is another girl to keep the balance in the tank!

Good luck to you lady friend!

Helen, I'll try the the epsom salt in the pea. I gave her one dose last night, and when I gave her the second this morning, I saw some short, thick poop coming out of her.

Mernany, when my fishies spawned in June/July, I only had three confirmed males. My black moor was disinterested during the whole thing, and my other fish were just as disinterested. I was nearly certain that he was a girl, and even went as far as calling him Othella instead of Othello, but now he's suddenly very interested in my female, and has gotten breeding stars on his gill flaps and pectoral fins. I think his previous aloofness was because he was young, as I had just gotten him from the petstore that May.

I'm hoping that out of the three babies I managed to raise from eggs, at least two will be females. I could almost swear that I see an outtie vent beneath two of their tails, but it's kind of hard, because they have little pearlscales. :)