My Filter isn't working =/

FishyMandy

• Supporter

My tank has a filter that sits on top of the tank. It is run by a powerhead, attached to an intake tube. The water runs the length of the tank through the filter and out the other end.

I noticed today there was no water coming out the other end, so I lifted the covers and found no water inside it at all. It must have been a few days at least,, because all my media has dried out :(

I got this powerhead brand new a few months ago, the one before that I had for years and only replaced because my rabbit chewed the cord.

The motor/impeller whatever is still running, I can hear it and feel it vibrating when I touch the powerhead. It just doesn't seem to be sucking up the water.

Any ideas apart from spending the money on yet another new powerhead?

Hi Mandy....sorry to hear about your filter problem.

Can you provide an image of your filter configuration? It may assist anyone who responds to your dilemma to offer help or advice....

Best of luck!! :thumbup2:

• Supporter

Some Pictures.

Here is a mockup I I made to show how its set up (or try to)

ecdp.jpg

Here is the powerhead, with the intake tube

fbc7.jpg

This is where the intake leads too

01ne.jpg

It travels the length of the tank before coming out here

wj9r.jpg

I'm worried since this filter isn't going I'm underfiltered again :(

Have you looked at the impeller? I had an internal filter that sounded like it was working fine, but once I took it apart I noticed the impeller wasn't moving freely. It had a piece of jungle val wrapped all the way around it. :o

... I'll have to look up some things on it because to be completely honest, I've never taken it apart before xD It scares me to take machines apart

Fear not for disassembling your power head, for without disassembly you will not be able to properly clean it. A power head, as well as the motors for most HOBs and the canisters I have seen, are very simple devices.

Open up the power head to expose the impeller. This is the hardest part. For some filters such as the Aquaclears, a 90 degree twist is all that is required. For a power head you might need to pry up part of the plastic cap, so be careful. There is exactly one moving part, called the impeller, which looks like a propeller with straight blades that are parallel to the shaft. It is magnetic so will stick to the well. Take this out and clean with a toothbrish. Clean the well with a q-tip or something narrow with a soft end. Reinstall the impeller, Put the top back on and you are done. It is that simple. Clean your powerhead when it fails to push water. I sometimes add a prefilter to my power heads. Also ensure your powerhead's power setting, if there is one, is set to max.

If you take photos of your powerhead we might be able to tell you how to open it. Otherwise ask Mr. Google.

• Supporter

I took it apart! There were tiny amounts of algae in there but nothing else. Still I scrubbed everything with a toothbrush (I have a ton of toothbrushes just for fish stuff lol) and put it back together and it is working now!

Now I'm off to do a water change since its spurted all dirty stuff into the water x.x

BUT my next question is, should I put new media in since this lot dried out, or just rinse and reuse it?