Very Floaty Moor

scurrie

Well, all was going well in the world of goldfish until a few hours ago. I came home to my big moor floating on his side, upside down, spinning in circles, etc.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 10ppm (barely 10)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master kit
      • * Water temperature? 70
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 bowfront, since end of May 2013
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 3 filters. 2 Marineland 20g penguin filters and a 55g aqueon
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, normally around 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday (Sept 25) 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, 3 inch bristlenose pleco, 1, 5 inch black moor, 1, 4 inch calico fantail, 1, 2.5 inch pearlscale
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x daily. I normally feed NLS but I ran out last week and my work is all out of them until further notice. So I've been feeding aqueon pellets, along with blood worms, brine shrimp, a little krill, peas, spinach
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. back in august we had some problems with anchor worms on him and we used tetra parasite guard, salt, and coppersafe
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just one little tear in his fin but I think that's from yesterdays water change :[
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Very floaty, upside down and doing circles. Cannot control himself at all.

I just noticed it this afternoon, he was fine this morning. I also noticed yesterday that his poop at "bubbles" in it. Should I be worried or should I just continue to feed him peas and hope for the best?

would you mind posting a video of him?

Besides the bubbles in the poo, was it normal otherwise? (typical color and size)

Has he ever been floaty in the past? I wonder if it's something in the aqueon food that is not agreeing with him since it sounds like the floatiness is corresponding with the change in food.

If you have spinach or green beans I would trade the peas for those and feed nothing else for the next couple days.

It's been 8 days since I ran out of the NLS, I've been feeding minimum pellets. His poop has been bubbly, like, it floats behind him. It was maybe like that for 2 days. It has a little brown in it but not much. He's never been floaty while he's been with me. He's had a LOT of problems, but never floaty. I fed him some aqueon before and he was perfectly fine on it (back in July).

Here he is, in all his floaty glory. Ignore my really obnoxious narrations and the grand theft auto 5 in the reflection :P

lol, cute narrations :P there has been a lot of GTA5 playing at my house too recently ;)

Lets first fast him for a couple days and then feed just spinach or green beans for a couple days and see if the floating resolves on its own.

If you want to continue feeding the other fish normally you can move him to a QT, or you can just fast the others as well :)

Please keep an eye on his poo and let us know if it is bubbly, stringy, and/or white.

You may also want to order some metro meds from goldfish connection if you are able. I don't necessarily anticipate that you will need them, but they are good to have on hand just in case.

I have metro meds already! :] And the pearlie and the calico could probably use a break from food for a few days, they're fatties :P alright, I will do that. He's the ONLY one of my goldies that ever has issues. The time I had an anchorworm infestation, he has 22 and the others had none. Ridiculous. But anyway! Thank you!

I have metro meds already! :] And the pearlie and the calico could probably use a break from food for a few days, they're fatties :P alright, I will do that. He's the ONLY one of my goldies that ever has issues. The time I had an anchorworm infestation, he has 22 and the others had none. Ridiculous. But anyway! Thank you!

perfect! they are just good to have on hand just in case ;)

I agree with Jess. I would suspect the Aqueon food as the culprit.

This. I've scrutinized their ingredients for some time, and have concluded that it's really not worth any amount of money.

In your case, we have a very good cause and effect established. All parameters were unchanged, except switching to Aqueon pellets.

Alright. I won't feed him it anymore :) and no he's not confirmed :P I just call him a him because he's always underneath my calico "sniffin' her butt" (I'm sorry if that's really weird, that's just what I call it :P) and he seems like a dude because he's always chasing her around.

Alright. I won't feed him it anymore :) and no he's not confirmed :P I just call him a him because he's always underneath my calico "sniffin' her butt" (I'm sorry if that's really weird, that's just what I call it :P) and he seems like a dude because he's always chasing her around.

You are probably right, then :rofl3 Btw...you can get NLS from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Goldfish-Formula/dp/B004QQ1C38/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380250391&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=new+life+spectrum+goldfish+1mm+pellets

Edited by jmetzger72

I get it for SO cheap at my work :) our next shipment should be coming in soon. Definitely by the time he's done fasting. So hopefully we'll be all good.

He's looking much better today! Ugh, I swear that fish is the cause of my anxiety. I should just call him "Anxiety Moor" I'll keep watching him. But he's being his normal, bubbly self and not struggle bussing today. Can you tell I'm one of those rowdy college kids with all the colloquial expressions :P Anyway! Thanks for dealing with my mini freak out. Hopefully he'll stay this way.

He's looking much better today! Ugh, I swear that fish is the cause of my anxiety. I should just call him "Anxiety Moor" I'll keep watching him. But he's being his normal, bubbly self and not struggle bussing today. Can you tell I'm one of those rowdy college kids with all the colloquial expressions :P Anyway! Thanks for dealing with my mini freak out. Hopefully he'll stay this way.

My Moor is a drama queen, too. That is the main reason she has her own tank. She gets floaty on Pro Gold while everybody else is fine on it.

Stick with the frozens for now, and ditch the Aqueon pellets. :)

I don't even know what a struggle bus is. :rofl

I do not know what a struggle bus is either! However when I read it in the sentences it made sense. :rofl I'm clearly not in the know with all these phrases.

I bet he doesn't ask for directions when lost either... :P

My Moor is a drama queen, too. That is the main reason she has her own tank. She gets floaty on Pro Gold while everybody else is fine on it.

I have an Anxiety Moor too!!! Always struggle bussing! :rofl What is it about them?! :idont