Help save my fish please

Deedee

I don't want to upset anyone but the cause of the problem is clear. Too many fish in not enough water. 4 goldfish and a pleco need about double the size tank they are in now. If you want them to recover you will need either a bigger tank or much more water changes. Now exactly what ailments the fish have come down with I can't say but I do have a great guess. As noted, fill out as much info as you can and then I am sure the very wise moderators will be along to help save your fish.

DP, I'm not upset, but I absolutely don't think that is clearly the reason. The OP hasn't changed the water in more than a month apparently. We have no idea how big her fish are or what her filtration is. Her stocking is just a little over what the recommendations were here only months ago. If the fish are small, stocking might not be nearly as important as the lack of water changes and the poor-quality food. Even if the OP gets a bigger tank, without better maintenance, knowledge of parameters and proper dosing of meds/other stuff, the fish are in trouble. :(

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A special note for DeeDee: In Austin Texas and many other parts of Texas they use chloramine
in tap water instead of Chlorine. In most all cases you WILL need to double and sometimes almost triple the amout of Prime, or whatever you use, please DO listen to your local store in that regard. Me and MANY fish stores and people around where I live, lost MANY fish when our city started using Chloramines and before we understood the reason for needing MORE of a special water treatment like Prime (which handles chlorine and ammonia too)

chloramine is very different from chlorinated water :) Chloramine doesn't dissipate(disappear on it's own) if water sits, and chloramine releases ammonia particles when water conditioners for fish tanks separate the molecules , because Chloramine is Chlorine and Ammonia combined. The strength of the Chloramine they add to your water supply also determines the dose, but double or a bit more than double the Prime is perfect if you have Chloramine in your water. If you google the name of your county and then Chlorine or chloramine you will probably find the answer :) If you have had that tank for many years then you are probably doing something right :)

I hope your fish and mine get better, good luck.

I have two filters one is an Aqua Tech 30-60 and the other is a flu all 200. The temperature of the tank is 74 degrees F.

I bought the testing kit and

PH- 7.6 although the liquid appeared to be darker blue than 7.6.

Ammonia-4.0ppm

Nitrite-5.0ppm and it was brighter pink than the shades on the kit

Nitrate-160ppm but it was bright red the shade on the test is more like a brownish red

I will post pictures when I sign up for photo bucket in a bit.

image_zps15de1de0.jpg

I have more pictures to upload in a min

I have two filters one is an Aqua Tech 30-60 and the other is a flu all 200. The temperature of the tank is 74 degrees F.

I bought the testing kit and

PH- 7.6 although the liquid appeared to be darker blue than 7.6.

Ammonia-4.0ppm

Nitrite-5.0ppm and it was brighter pink than the shades on the kit

Nitrate-160ppm but it was bright red the shade on the test is more like a brownish red

I will post pictures when I sign up for photo bucket in a bit.

image_zps15de1de0.jpg

I have more pictures to upload in a min

I'm sorry about your fish not being well. The black spot makes him look like Hilter. It's quite cute if it wasn't a concern.

Well its safe to say too many fish in not enough water! By that I also meant not enough new clean water from water changes but I guess I didn't state that clearly. Might as well do a 100% water change assuming tank and tap ph are similar.

Well its safe to say too many fish in not enough water! By that I also meant not enough new clean water from water changes but I guess I didn't state that clearly. Might as well do a 100% water change assuming tank and tap ph are similar.

Now that I see that big fish, you were right! A bigger tank is needed! :o

And I'm sorry! I really just meant that a bigger tank wasn't necessarily the solution without better maintenance. :peeka

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Great job, Deedee! :thumb: That oranda has a huge head!!

As Rob said, your water is very toxic. In a cycled and established tank, your ammonia and nitrite should be 0, and nitrate should be less than 40, although less than 20 is better. You really need to do water changes to get those levels down, but first you need to test your tap ph to make sure you won't harm your fish. We want to know that the tap ph isn't too low. :)

The levels of your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are beyond toxic and I am honestly surprised your fish aren't in worse shape. Please test your tap pH ASAP. At this point even if there is a large difference between tap and tan pH, a near 100% WC is needed.

Those fish are so large the tank doesn't even look to be 55 gallons. Will you please post a full tank shot?

But tap pH and a giant WC or 2 back to back WCs are first priority.

My guess is also ammonia but how long will it be until the black spot on the lip begins to clear up and why aren't they eating? They are big eaters :(

The algae eater is a friendly guy doesn't bother anyone. Fish swim over and below him he minds his own business and ignores the other fish.

As for the big head fish aranda swimming upside down in a hospital tank should I be fasting it for now then give it the peas?

My fish had ammonia burns.

It took several months for it to heal and return back to it's original colour.

Hope your fish get better.

Hi DeeDee,

I'm sorry your fish is not well, and I think you have gotten some great advice so far, although I would like to remind everyone to please refrain from making diagnoses. In addition to the mod team, there are very many experienced members here, so please cede to them, if nothing else, for the sake of clarity in a D&D thread. Thank you for your understanding, and compliance. :)

I think you need to do an immediate 100% WC. Take the fish out, do your water change. Perhaps you could even drain it twice. You will need to do much bigger, and more frequent water changes, until you have things under control. You will also need to check your parameters.

Other things I noticed: adding 5 teaspoons baking soda with every WC is not the proper thing to do. Please check your kH and adjust it accordingly. There is probably were too much baking soda in your water by now.

Just to clarify, at this point, it could be burns from a lot things, not just ammonia.

That pleco really has to find a different home. I'm sorry. :(

They are very pretty, and it's great that your oldest is 7. Excellent job!! :thumbs:

Please follow the moderators' advice. It will take some effort to get your water cleaned up and back on track, but you can do it, and your fish will be much better off. :hug

I wanted to post pictures of the algae eater so everyone knows what kind I have but he is a nice guy never messes with any fish. He minds his own business in all the years I've had him he's never shown an act of aggression. Does this make it ok to have him? The lady at the store told me to get one because I had algae problems before I got him. Aldo I clean thoroughly the two filters every water change. I have done a 50% water change the last 2 days.

What do I do for the aranda (picture posted) I have in the hospital tank in the mean time? He is not swimming upside down as much before I transferred him he was swimming upside down all most of the time. Someone at the store told me the head was too big and heavy so it loses balance and he said it was normal but somehow that didn't make sense to me. I was told to fast him 2-3 days then try the peas. Should I do 100 water change on him too?

I wanted to post pictures of the algae eater so everyone knows what kind I have but he is a nice guy never messes with any fish. He minds his own business in all the years I've had him he's never shown an act of aggression. Does this make it ok to have him? The lady at the store told me to get one because I had algae problems before I got him. Aldo I clean thoroughly the two filters every water change. I have done a 50% water change the last 2 days.

It seems like a lot, but the proof is in the test kit. Even the test kit and any reputable store will tell you that your water is really, really bad right now. The only way to get those numbers down is to change the water until the ammonia and nitrite are gone and the nitrate is low. I know it's a lot and seem impossible that you need to do that, but once you get those numbers down, you'll be able to get into a more reasonable routine. :)

What do I do for the aranda (picture posted) I have in the hospital tank in the mean time? He is not swimming upside down as much before I transferred him he was swimming upside down all most of the time. Someone at the store told me the head was too big and heavy so it loses balance and he said it was normal but somehow that didn't make sense to me. I was told to fast him 2-3 days then try the peas. Should I do 100 water change on him too?

Make sure he's getting water changes too. Is his tank cycled? Do you understand about cycling? :)

If you've done a 50% WC the last 2 days and your levels are still that high, i hate to think where they were. Please do 100% WC and/or 2 large (80-90%) WCs immediately. Your water in its current state is toxic.

You have been lucky with the pleco so far. I don't know a lot about plecos but I believe that is a common pleco. They have been known to attach themselves to GF and cause major damage or even death. I strongly urge yo to get him a tank of his own.

Bristle nose and rubber lip plecos are compatible with GF.