The tank I want

FishyMandy

You don't need $2K! Just start watching Craigslist. When I bought my 90 gal (which came w/ stand, top, lights, and an Eheim 2217 canister filter, plus random heaters and other supplies, and cost me $400), I came across MANY that large and larger for $500-800 with tons of stuff included.

As those of us w/ large tanks know, big tanks can be a PITA. They require a lot of work and a very sturdy floor. And most people don't want them. So when someone sells, there is really a pretty small market. You can do VERY well in the used market when buying a large tank!

Edited by pawsplus

• Supporter

You don't need $2K! Just start watching Craigslist. When I bought my 90 gal (which came w/ stand, top, lights, and an Eheim 2217 canister filter, plus random heaters and other supplies, and cost me $400), I came across MANY that large and larger for $500-800 with tons of stuff included.

As those of us w/ large tanks know, big tanks can be a PITA. They require a lot of work and a very sturdy floor. And most people don't want them. So when someone sells, there is really a pretty small market. You can do VERY well in the used market when buying a large tank!

we don't have craigslist in AU :( our non essential items are extremely pricy here too :(

I'm right there with ya! That's such a gorgeous tank. I would love a 100-200 gallon nice loooong tank like that. I would rather have one big ol' tank than a couple smaller, I think :)

Of course, that size, it'd have to go in my basement so it wouldn't fall through the floor! :rofl

For about $1000 I can get a brand new 9foot x2foot x 2foot tank made of 10mm glass.

So basicly your paying alot for a cabinet and light.

Shop around lots of cheap tanks here in Aust.

Eep, yeah, I've found that around here the stands will cost a LOT. It's almost the most expensive part of the setup a lot of the time! It can be worth the price though for a good, solid piece of furniture.

• Supporter

I had 2 x 120g's custom tanks built. completed job with lights $3k (both) very happy.

just remember that 1 litre = 1 kilo. for the 120g, that is 500 litres = 500 kilos (water alone). I am not sure for the volume of a 6' tank. to that, you add the weight of the glass and the weight of the cabinet. after that, your filters will hold water volume, depending on how much water they hold, it can be a lot of weight. just be sure you have the floors for this amount of weight. I checked everything out with an engineer first (lucky we have one in the family :) )

we don't have craigslist in AU :( our non essential items are extremely pricy here too :(

Actually, you do!

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites Looks like a number of cities have it.

Of course, if folks don't know about it they won't use it and hence, there won't be much listed. Spread the word! :-)

• Supporter

I just wanted to say that for that price it comes with filters, heaters, a master test kit and everything that is in the display xD

It used to be 1500 but I missed the sale :P

I wish I could have a pond, but I have nowhere to put one :P

I absolutely love big tanks though, and I've been keeping an eye on gumtree too.

Edited by FishyMandy