refresher Q, how often how much?

balashark

hey all, just a quick refresher question, how much and how often do you feed a betta? Thanks!

I personally feed mine 2x a day. How much depends on the pellet size. When I had omega one pellets I usually fed 2 at a time, now I've switched to nls pellets which are smaller and I feed 3-4 at a time.

I would say around 2 times a day and whatever they can eat within 2-3 minutes.

IMHO what a betta could eat in 2-3 min is too much. They are quite small and easy to overfeed. I have overfed accidentally before (wet finger picked up too many pellets) and you can quickly see a distended abdomen when they eat too much at once. A fish can eat a lot of food in 2-3 min.

IMHO what a betta could eat in 2-3 min is too much. They are quite small and easy to overfeed. I have overfed accidentally before (wet finger picked up too many pellets) and you can quickly see a distended abdomen when they eat too much at once. I fish can eat a lot of food in 2-3 min.

I'm never had a betta so I'd listen to Tithra. :P

What about goldfish what's your rule for them? They eat so much and so fast. :teehee

IMHO what a betta could eat in 2-3 min is too much. They are quite small and easy to overfeed. I have overfed accidentally before (wet finger picked up too many pellets) and you can quickly see a distended abdomen when they eat too much at once. I fish can eat a lot of food in 2-3 min.

What about goldfish what's your rule for them? They eat so much and so fast. :teehee

:P

I am personally not a big fan of the 2-3 min rule in general. Simply because goldfish tend to eat quickly, and typically do not stop eating as long as there is food available. I know that if I fed my fish as much as they could eat in 2-3 min, they would be overfed. I know this because they scarf down their alloted feeding amounts in less than 30 seconds.

The most ideal way to figure out feeding amounts for goldfish is to weigh them and feed .5-1% of their body weight in food over the course of at least 3 meals daily. But I know it is not really realistic that everyone weigh their fish and figures this out. So, we have to estimate. Just based on my own fish, I would maybe go with something closer to 'what they can eat in around 30 seconds' as opposed to minutes :idont But maybe my fish are just weirdos and eat fast :P

:P

I am personally not a big fan of the 2-3 min rule in general. Simply because goldfish tend to eat quickly, and typically do not stop eating as long as there is food available. I know that if I fed my fish as much as they could eat in 2-3 min, they would be overfed. I know this because they scarf down their alloted feeding amounts in less than 30 seconds.

The most ideal way to figure out feeding amounts for goldfish is to weigh them and feed .5-1% of their body weight in food over the course of at least 3 meals daily. But I know it is not really realistic that everyone weigh their fish and figures this out. So, we have to estimate. Just based on my own fish, I would maybe go with something closer to 'what they can eat in around 30 seconds' as opposed to minutes :idont But maybe my fish are just weirdos and eat fast :P

Yeah I guess everyone's goldfish rule would be different. My black moor takes around 10 seconds to find a single pellet on the gravel. He's uber slow so I pay special attention he gets his share. Where my other 2 fantails go on buffet. :stop So I lure the 2 fantails to one side then feed my black moor individually lol

A good rule of thumb for bettas is however much can fit in the circumference of their eye once a day(for pellets, after they are soaked). You may feed more if their water is on the warmer side, as their metabolisms work faster in hotter temps. ;)

Thanks for all the quick replies. Haha fantailfan, it's me. We got my son a betta in a spare 2.5g mini bow we had laying around. I'll get a pic later of cookie blue (if you've never let a 2 year old name a fish, I highly recommend it).

Food said 3 minutes, 3 times a day. I'm like yeeaaaahh, that's not right. Then i remembered kokos :)

:rofl I let my son name his fish waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when I started here. (Actually it was his fish that made my original fish sick and brought me here. :o ) He named it Shoomie or Shoomey (pronounced Shoe Me ). :rofl Nonsensical, just like a 2 year old boy. :rofl

Nice to see you around and I'll look forward to some betta pics. :D