Changing colour or ammonia burns?

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

I have a weird ranchu. I bought him because he seemed to have swim bladder problems and I had to "come to the rescue". He is bright yellow with a big black stripe from "nose" to tail. His tail fins are yellow with beautiful black framing. Over the past 7 days, almost all of the black is gone. I never would have thought they were ammonia burns because the black was so symmetrical. At one point, he looked like he had a black puppy nose lol. I have never had a goldfish that changed colour so dramatically and so fast. Has anyone had a goldie lose one of its colours like that? The only thing I could think of, aside from burns, is that he has tahitian moon sand in the tank and I have heard that can affect colour….I'm stumped.

Black is a very common color lost in goldfish. Many people buy goldfish because of their beautiful black markings and the fish ends of losing it in a short amount of time.

Pictures would help a lot. Also, I don't think TMS would trigger any sort of color change in a fish.

My first thought was healing ammonia burns just because it was going so fast. He had been in my tank for about three weeks (pristine water) and then it started to fade. If it is just colour change, these guys are pretty amazing. I have been keeping them for a long time and never had such a fast change. I am tempted to see if his brother is still in the tank at the LFS. I'd love to compare...

Photos on the way!

I am really loving the bright yellow. He does flips when he gets excited while I feed him (a very cute symptom of his swim bladder issues). He has quite the little personality. Don't tell my other 14 goldies, but he is quickly becoming one of my favourites :)