Worrying Behaviour: Gulping Air and Bottom Sitting

Linzi Glitter

Video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgiXl2zqlCI&feature=youtu.be

Sorry about the poor quality, but it's really the best I can do. It doesn't help that he is black and the background is dark! The 'spot' is on his right side (you can occasionally see it when he swims toward the right side of the tank maybe best at 1.13ish), and it is about mid-body, kind of under the front of his dorsal fin. It is fading, and really hard to see in this vid due to the quality. At 1.26 I really thought he was going to sit, that is where he likes to sit, and that is how he settles down on the bottom.

lol at 0.53 when Panda tries to steal the spotlight, they all wanted to get in on the glory :rofl

Another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glsSwqc6opk&feature=youtu.be

This one features the 'weird behaviour' that prompted me to start this thread in the first. He isn't momentary getting stuck sideways in space here like he does sometimes, but you will see the repetitive up and down behaviour, gulping air at the top and crashing face-first into the gravel. It seems easier for him to go up than down. I have had reason to suspect that he has low vision, so maybe that's why he crashes into the ground. But is this normal? None of the other fish do this, although some of them occasionally gulp air too. Would you expect to see this after 6 rounds of Prazi?

Does he seem sort of listless to you? He just doesn't seem to have the same vitality as the others either.

Hi Linzi,

Thanks for the videos. I think they are very helpful. :)

Firstly, I think everyone is looking quite well. I see fully extended fins everywhere, which is a fantastic sign that flukes and other external parasites are not issues, as well as the fact that the fish are happy campers.

I do see what you mean about his behavior, and that to me may be issues with regulating his swim bladder. He does seem more sedate than the others, but I think this has a lot of to with him having so much finnage. I bet it's rather tiring dragging that along, compounded with the minor SB issues. I don't know that there is much we can do here.

For now, I would just finish up the treatments, and let everyone just enjoy themselves. Try to add an additional WC in when you can, but other than that, nothing else other than observation.

Thanks so much Alex, it's been so awesome to have your perspective and help with this.

I think you're right, it's probably just him as an individual. He's not a particularly 'well bred' fish (you might have noticed that the top lobes of his caudal are fused), so it's entirely possible he has internal genetic faults as well. But I love him heaps anyway! :wub I will give him the best possible care, and hopefully he will still live a long happy life! :D