Types of stands for 40B

nic

I have a 40B and need to get a stand. I've spent so much time thinking about all the things I need for the tank that I nearly forgot that I can't do anything without a stand. I'm wondering what types do people generally have, an aquarium specific stand, DIY stand or regular furniture that can hold the weight? Buy in store or online?

I'm finding it hard to find a stand that will fit the breeder size. Most of what I see at the stores are narrow. The wood looking stands I've seen online are at least a couple hundred dollars and I've read of instances where they've been ruined due to water and moisture. I did find a plain metal one that will cost around 100 at a local aquarium store. Is there a purpose or benefit to an open top stand?

I like the idea of getting a stand that is bigger (wider) than what I need because I like free space on each side instead of the tank being flush with the stand. If I got the metal one I'd need the next size up but would have to place a board on top which I'd stain and seal. It might not be the prettiest but it seems the most affordable and durable. I've also seen some nice DIY ones which I might price out and try. But would have to do a little more research there.

I really love the metal stand I got at petco for my 40B, however I am not sure if they make them anymore or not. Just checked their website and I don't see one available in a 40B size. It is super light and really sturdy. Only downside is it doesn't have cabinets for storage.

DIY furniture is great and can be way sturdier than anything you could buy in a store and for less money. If you have the time, skills, and tools I would definitely look into this.

There is no purpose or benefit that I know of to an open top stand. A full base is simply not necessary if it is a glass tank with a rim. All the weight sits on the rim, so a full top isn't needed.

I really love the metal stand I got at petco for my 40B, however I am not sure if they make them anymore or not. Just checked their website and I don't see one available in a 40B size. It is super light and really sturdy. Only downside is it doesn't have cabinets for storage.

DIY furniture is great and can be way sturdier than anything you could buy in a store and for less money. If you have the time, skills, and tools I would definitely look into this.

There is no purpose or benefit that I know of to an open top stand. A full base is simply not necessary if it is a glass tank with a rim. All the weight sits on the rim, so a full top isn't needed.

Thank for covering all the questions :) That was quick. I do like that metal would be lightweight. Something I could handle without help. Storage is a downside. The one I saw does have an open frame on the bottom which I could put a board over that also and put some baskets there for storage. Again not the prettiest but it's practical.

I have to price out a DIY design. Tools I have access too. Skill are so-so but I do have the ambition. I also have a boyfriend to help :)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4058222&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I THINK this is what I have. It does the trick for me and my 40b but I wouldn't really recommend it. It was very difficult to put together. It took my husband and I at least a couple hours to set up and we had to keep redoing parts because the instructions weren't clear. We ended up putting the shelf parts on the wrong way and being unable to attach the doors. Not a huge deal since we actually just store our video game consoles on the shelves (Our TV is next to the tank) instead of ugly aquarium supplies that I'd want hidden but still. I mean, I won't pretend we're the world's handiest people but he works at a factory assembling things and I've put together bookcases/other furniture without trouble. This was something else. Plus it was very wobbly until we attached the back which was disconcerting. We tested it with our weight once it was together and it was fine though. It's been up since June with no problems and seems sturdy but I'd go another route next time. Also, I'm pretty gentle with it and still, I noticed a few paint scratches the other day. Honestly if I ever have reason to believe it's failing (Since it doesn't seem to be the highest quality item) I'm going to jump on replacing it right away.

You could use a large, well made piece of furniture that the entire tank can fit on and which you're pretty sure can support the weight but I'd be SURE of it before putting the tank on it. DIY is an awesome, cheap idea. Other wise I'd buy a stand specifically meant for tanks and be willing to splurge a little for quality because you DEFINITELY don't want to worry about it breaking and ending up with 450 gallons of water on the floor, plus dead fish, plus a possible electrical fire.

Goldenhero I saw that same style but for a larger tank when I was doing an image search for ideas. I liked the look of it but checked out the reviews and yeah they weren't so great. I'll either make my own or modify the metal one I saw.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!!! Assuming these are standard cinder blocks you have plenty of surface area to spread out the load on the floor. Less than 3 pounds per square inch. Wish I would have thought of that before I spent $140 on a so called aquarium stand. The finishes on them these days arent even water proof. They bubble up if you get them wet.

I've been searching everywhere trying to decided whether to spend money on an expensive one or trying my DIY skills. Today I finally found something really sturdy and affordable so now I'm another step closer to setting up my tank. I found this at a second hand office furniture warehouse...

8uruhade.jpg

Edited by PacificaNZ

I've been searching everywhere trying to decided whether to spend money on an expensive one or trying my DIY skills. Today I finally found something really sturdy and affordable so now I'm another step closer to setting up my tank. I found this at a second hand office furniture warehouse... 8uruhade.jpg

Good find :) I'm still working on the style for my DIY. At the rate I'm going I may have something by Christmas.